Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Mail & Package Services? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22970)

Horses&Boats 01-30-2018 10:32 AM

Mail & Package Services?

Hello! We are out of State and have a place on Bear Island. We are trying to figure out the best way to receive packages - most likely from Amazon - when we are spending time on the Island. We can't imagine boxes being delivered to the mail docks on the island.

Does anyone know of a commercial mail service (like the UPS Store) that accepts packages in the GILFORD area? Unfortunately, a USPS post office box address isn't typically allowed as an address for package shipments. Ideas on how other islanders receive box/package shipments would be really appreciated!!

skprbob 01-30-2018 11:13 AM

Bear Island mail

The US Mail Boat Sophie C stops at Bear Island - at the mail dock on the north end and at east bear. The most convenient stop for handling packages is the mail dock, Monday thru Saturday at around 11:30 AM. I would suggest calling the office of Winnipesaukee Flagship Corp, (603)366-5531 for details. Service runs from 15 June thru the Saturday after Labor Day.

MAXUM 01-30-2018 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horses&Boats (Post 290366)
Hello! We are out of State and have a place on Bear Island. We are trying to figure out the best way to receive packages - most likely from Amazon - when we are spending time on the Island. We can't imagine boxes being delivered to the mail docks on the island.

Does anyone know of a commercial mail service (like the UPS Store) that accepts packages in the GILFORD area? Unfortunately, a USPS post office box address isn't typically allowed as an address for package shipments. Ideas on how other islanders receive box/package shipments would be really appreciated!!

What about getting a PO box? Granted you probably can't ship freight there but I got to believe that they can accept and hold reasonably sized packages for you.

BroadHopper 01-30-2018 11:17 AM

FEDEX and UPS

Both have 'hold' services so that you can pick up packages at the window. FedEx is located on Lily Pond Road in Gilford and UPS is located on Lexington Drive in Laconia.

The Laconia post office did offer 'hold' service at the Laconia Post Office down town. I'm surprise they no longer offer the service. I tell them when I am away and they will hold my mail/packages until I come back.

They don't recommend it, I had in the pass filled out a postal change of address if I am gone for a month and postal change of address when I return.

fatlazyless 01-30-2018 11:26 AM

In Meredith, the woman who runs the www.lakesidemailingsvcs.com is always very helpful and knows what's what plus it gives you a good excuse to go to Louie's Famous Pizza.

TCC 01-30-2018 01:32 PM

Looks to me like the OP is thinking specifically of those items that cannot be shipped to a Post Office box. I run into this quite often and, not living on an island, haven't found it to be a problem but I can see where it could be for him/her.

Horses&Boats - do you have a trusted friend off-island who would accept your packages for you?

TheProfessor 01-30-2018 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCC (Post 290385)
Looks to me like the OP is thinking specifically of those items that cannot be shipped to a Post Office box. I run into this quite often and, not living on an island, haven't found it to be a problem but I can see where it could be for him/her.

Horses&Boats - do you have a trusted friend off-island who would accept your packages for you?

Correct
UPS and FedEx do not ship to PO Boxes.

Hank Johansen
C/O Nancy Drew
13 Maple Street
Anytown, NH 03200

Friend, neighbor, relative, marina, store, etc.

Slickcraft 01-30-2018 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXUM (Post 290372)
What about getting a PO box? Granted you probably can't ship freight there but I got to believe that they can accept and hold reasonably sized packages for you.

We have a PO Box in Alton Bay and about 80% of our Amazon orders are delivered there. There are some items that will only ship to a physical address.

If you order from Walmart or Lowe's you can do ship to store in Gilford.

beagle 01-30-2018 06:30 PM

We also have a PO box

In Wolfeboro. A lot of our prime packages end up there. I have learned to put our PO box number in the address #2 line, apt number line or comments area of the shipping address. That way if it goes to the PO box it is easy for them to find it when I go to pick it up. It is often hard to know whether packages will be delivered to our house or to the PO box so I have both covered.

fatlazyless 01-30-2018 06:51 PM

Did you know that www.lakesidemailingsvcs.com in Meredith, next to Louie's Famous Pizza, has private mailbox rentals for receiving letters and packages that comes with a street address, not a PO Box number..... plus you can mosey on over to the MVSB ..... and be welcomed with a freebie cup of k-cup coffee in a banker's quality, paper cup.

Down at that Route 104 shopping plaza, the name I cannot recall, they treat you like a champion 'Tom Brady.'

Horses&Boats 01-30-2018 07:37 PM

Thanks for great ideas!

Thanks everyone -- really appreciate all the feedback. Sounds like we may need to try a combination of your suggestions -- and definitely will check out lakeside mail services in Meredith, that sounds like what we were thinking might work best for us. Thanks again!

patman 01-31-2018 09:41 PM

USPS offers a service where you sign up and specify your address as the street address of the post office, and UPS/FedEx/etc will deliver there.

https://postalpro.usps.com/competitivepoboxes

That may work for you

Descant 01-31-2018 09:56 PM

Wean yourself from Amazon and buy local. Support those who advertise on the Forum.