Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New bird in town? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26368)

Misty Blue 09-23-2020 06:53 PM

New bird in town?

I was raised in Manchester where there were tons on grey pigeons around our tenement. I mean everywhere. They were pretty cool to watch and to chase as well.
So this evening there was a winged blast from my past on my beach on Braun Bay. After more than sixty years on the Lake this is a new one to me.
It had a blue band on it's left leg and maybe it was a carrier pigeon or on some kind of race bird.
Any ideas?
Misty Blue

fatlazyless 09-23-2020 07:20 PM

..... a mourning dove!

JEEPONLY 09-24-2020 07:34 AM

Beware of "Iron Mike" in the bushes outside your home!
Old habits die hard.

Hillcountry 09-24-2020 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misty Blue (Post 344030)
I was raised in Manchester where there were tons on grey pigeons around our tenement. I mean everywhere. They were pretty cool to watch and to chase as well.
So this evening there was a winged blast from my past on my beach on Braun Bay. After more than sixty years on the Lake this is a new one to me.
It had a blue band on it's left leg and maybe it was a carrier pigeon or on some kind of race bird.
Any ideas?
Misty Blue

Probably a homing pigeon resting...they do race them.

Barney Bear 09-24-2020 10:50 AM

We recently were visited by a mourning dove at our place on East Bear Island. Have never seen one here before. Welcome! 🐻

JEEPONLY 09-25-2020 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Bear (Post 344052)
We recently were visited by a mourning dove at our place on East Bear Island. Have never seen one here before. Welcome! 🐻

We see, and hear, the mourning doves quite frequently here in Meredith.
Lots of Flickers, too! Ka-Ka-Ka-Ka-Ka-Ka-ka!

Newbiesaukee 09-25-2020 01:11 PM

We see lots in Coral Gables. Possibly a coincidence, but we saw one this morning on Long Island. This is the first one I recall seeing here.

Barney Bear 09-25-2020 03:06 PM

Avian Visitor

We suggested that it visit Long Island on its tour. 🐻

ApS 09-25-2020 06:21 PM

Migration Time...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEEPONLY (Post 344108)
We see, and hear, the mourning doves quite frequently here in Meredith.
Lots of Flickers, too! Ka-Ka-Ka-Ka-Ka-Ka-ka!

Plenty here on Wolfeboro Neck—I'll have to listen for Mourning Doves up the hill. Along my "new" beach, I saw a Myrtle Warbler pecking at tiny critters. (Yellow-Rumped Warbler). A Pileated Woodpecker has returned from somewhere else. Wrens are making an appearance.

Somehow, there are many more birds here—at the end of Summer—than ever seen this past Spring! :eek2:

The treetops are full of songbirds, so this must be the start of their annual migration. (Which reminds me—I have to pack!) ;)