Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Mooring Question (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26335)

RUGMAN 09-14-2020 07:02 PM

Mooring Question

I think my mooring may have moved with that storm we had a week or so ago. I called the company (sure-line) who installed it 5 years ago but have not heard back so i am thinking that they may have gone out of business.
Two questions: Has anyone experienced a mooring (with I think 1000 pound weight) move?? Anyone have the name of another company who could help me out with moving my mooring back to its original spot? Thanks.

8gv 09-14-2020 07:31 PM

I was at Watermark in Laconia recently and the guy I spoke to seemed quite knowledgable on moorings. I suspect they might be able to help you.

ishoot308 09-14-2020 08:02 PM

If you have a way to attach a strong line or chain to it, it can be moved fairly easily with any boat that has a good attachment point. I have moved my 1000 lb mooring a couple times with an old beater pontoon boat....

Dan

upthesaukee 09-14-2020 08:30 PM

Check it all out

Just a thought. If you haven't checked the chain and connection to the mooring anchor, this might be a good time to have someone check it out.

Dave

thinkxingu 09-15-2020 01:54 AM

RUGMAN, maybe a dumb question, but have you accounted for the drop in water level and the increased chain slack that would lead to a wider range of distance from the centerline/plumb point or whatever? Just throwing it out there since you don't seem to be totally positive it moved.

(If this isn't how moorings work, please clarify.)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Winilyme 09-15-2020 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 343589)
RUGMAN, maybe a dumb question, but have you accounted for the drop in water level and the increased chain slack that would lead to a wider range of distance from the centerline/plumb point or whatever? Just throwing it out there since you don't seem to be totally positive it moved.

(If this isn't how moorings work, please clarify)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

That just might be the answer Think...moor or less.

Barney Bear 09-15-2020 07:25 AM

Gold Star Ward

Good one..."moor or less". 🏆

AC2717 09-15-2020 08:03 AM

With the big wind storms in years past, and this year, even before the low water. the moorings can be dragged for sure. especially when you have a constant strong wind on the boat it can actually drag that 1000lb block

at the same time with the depth of the lake right now, it can cause a major distortion in mooring location because of excess slack.

If were me I would wait until level comes back up

but still inspect your chain and shackles

RUGMAN 09-15-2020 05:24 PM

I kind of thought the same thing about the lake water being so low that would contribute to my triton looking like it has moved , maybe best bet into wait till spring to see what it lookalike,thanks for all the replies.

welch-time 09-18-2020 06:39 AM

First off remember that a 1000lb concrete mooring weight is ~600lbs under water due to the weight of the water that it displaces. So it's not so difficult to imagine a big boat moving one around in a storm.

Call John Baxter to get it moved. JB Dive Services. He installed our swim raft and moved it a year later.
He used an airbag to move our 1000lb block and made it look quite easy. Cost of the move was $300. John's an ex-Navy Seal. Great guy.

Mark

codeman671 09-18-2020 08:27 AM

I use 2000 lb mooring blocks. Less chance of it moving. Mine never moved during the 15+ years they have been in the lake.

RUGMAN 09-21-2020 05:21 PM

thank you, I will give him a call