Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Toilet (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20582)

dpg 05-12-2016 07:16 AM

Toilet

As I arrived up for the day yesterday and tried scrubbing the "ring" clean in the toilet it occurred to me maybe someone here has a trick or two up their sleeve. Any sure fire way to get rid of the stained "ring around the toilet?"

Kamper 05-12-2016 07:43 AM

Chlorine bleach. Dump a cup in the bowl and let it sit an hour or so.

dpg 05-12-2016 08:35 AM

Hmmm thanks I was wondering about that, it would obviously need to be enough to raise the water level above the ring stain. Just also was wondering if it would ruin or do anything to any seals anywhere or anything like that? For instance I have a front load washer and the manual says to clean it with bleach on the clean setting. A service guy told me to use white vinegar he said it will do the same thing and not potentially damage/dry out rubbers seals.

Kamper 05-12-2016 09:34 AM

Bleach fumes will probably do the job for you. If not, then a scrubbing cleanser with chlorine.

Don't mix bleach with vinegar. I have no idea if it's a problem but I do know chlorine can make deadly gas if mixed with ammonia, and other things as well.

jbolty 05-12-2016 09:41 AM

CLR is pretty good for stuff like that.

Winnisquamer 05-12-2016 11:13 AM

Clr. My toilet does it as well, basically looks dirty but it's really just rust.. I shut the water off and fill the bowl up, let it soak for an hour or so and flush. Little scrubbing if needed

MDoug 05-12-2016 12:59 PM

Bowl Cleaning

Once you get bowl clean, be sure to empty it when you leave for extended period of time. However, do leave water in tank to keep seals from drying out

TCC 05-12-2016 05:57 PM

If it's staining from rust, then Iron Out Rust Stain Remover should take care of it. As for shutting off the water and emptying the bowl when leaving for extended periods, I would sooner leave it as is to ensure that the drain trap stays full and septic fumes stay out of your home. But that's just me . . .

NoBozo 05-12-2016 06:32 PM

I have used ..the much touted CLR (Calcium, Lime, Rust) ...with NO positive results whatsoever: :eek: NB

Redbarn 05-12-2016 07:07 PM

if you wanna believe random info from Facebook you could try a bottle of Coke, pour it in and let it sit. Never done it but I know it works on car/cart batteries so I believe it would work on a toilet

TheProfessor 05-12-2016 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpg (Post 261697)
As I arrived up for the day yesterday and tried scrubbing the "ring" clean in the toilet it occurred to me maybe someone here has a trick or two up their sleeve. Any sure fire way to get rid of the stained "ring around the toilet?"

What brand of toilet is it?

I learned the hard way. My toilet was a Home Depot/Lowe's budget toilet.
Had same issues with 2 over the years.
The inexpensive or budget brands are just glazed too cheaply. Rust ring developed. And no cleaning product would get rid of it.
I finally broke down and purchased a Kohler. No issues with that one. Same water.

ApS 05-13-2016 09:06 AM

Is "Winterizing" a Factor?

Quote:

Is the "ring"' left over from winterizing?

:confused:

I have no difficulty scrubbing the "ring" that develops from winterizing, as I float a plastic grocery bag atop the anti-freeze/water-mix surface. The bag practically eliminates water evaporation and lessens the concentration of anti-freeze discolorations.

The undesirable entry of noxious critters via the soil pipe—a side benefit.

:look:

SIKSUKR 05-13-2016 11:45 AM

There are no "seals" to keep wet in a toilet. The wax ring is your seal on the waste side and certainly needs no water to stay ok. One problem trying to put water to soak a little above the ring is that the bowl will only fill so full to the level of the trap and then go down the drain. On stubborn stains that need soaking I find I need to keep that area wet by using the brush to wet it. I've also had luck using a rag that will cover that area and with absorbtion it will stay wet

nhcatrider 05-13-2016 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redbarn (Post 261742)
if you wanna believe random info from Facebook you could try a bottle of Coke, pour it in and let it sit. Never done it but I know it works on car/cart batteries so I believe it would work on a toilet

I've done this, make sure you use enough. I poured a 2 liter bottle in and let it sit overnight. Quick wipe around the water line and the stain was gone.

Loub52 05-13-2016 06:56 PM

Quote:

Iron out seems to work well for us:
https://www.grainger.com/product/6VM...160513235456:s

Misha888 05-13-2016 09:11 PM

Tried and true.

Hope's Perfect Sink. (block bottle, used for stainless steel and Corian) You can get it at Lowes. Use a scruffy and your bowl should be like new.

Good luck.

CeilingToFloor 05-15-2016 08:15 AM

Shaws Pads

If you're looking for a chemical free alternative to remove the stain, we use Shaws Pads. Shawspads.com Always works for us! :)

Ceiling To Floor Cleaning & More LLC
ceilingtofloorcleaning.com