Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boat Repairs & Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   1987 Evinrude 20hp Electric Starter Replacement - HELP!! (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20186)

AC2717 01-22-2016 10:13 AM

1987 Evinrude 20hp Electric Starter Replacement - HELP!!

Hi Forum Guru(s)
I have a 1987 Evinrude 20hp outboard that is strong as an ox. Problem is end of last year the starter started to die, I was able to get the starter and it's bracket off the engine to replace it, but I cannot seem to see or understand how to take the starter out of the bracket. I am pretty mechanically inclined and this is baffling the begeezes out of me and with fishing maybe coming up quicker than normal, I need to get my 16foot Monark back out on the bay.

engine model is E20ELCUR.

I have searched high and low on the Interwebs and found the starter complete for under $60 brand new (awesome deal) but I just cannot see how to separate the bracket from the starter (I'm a pretty good searcher on the web as well for information - need to do it on a daily basis for work)

Help! Please!

8gv 01-22-2016 10:52 AM

If you post some pics I may be able to help.

AC2717 01-22-2016 12:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
see below
I do not have exact photo of mine, but these are the same and last one is same idea for a close up
there are no screws or bolts holding the bracket to the starter that I can see, but that does not mean they are screwed in from the bottom. The only idea I have is the two long screws that start at the bottom of the starter and maybe go through the top into the bracket????

The bracket comes off the engine and has a ring around the top of the starter between the body of the starter and the bendex

ishoot308 01-22-2016 12:18 PM

I believe if you remove the two very long screws that go through the length of the starter, that may remove the bracket...

Dan

8gv 01-22-2016 12:27 PM

I concur.

In the first picture there are rounded vertical bosses that protrude from the bracket's ring around the starter. Follow them in the direction away from the starter drive. I suspect you will see the corresponding screws that require removal.

In other words, absent a manual, I too would remove the long screws.

upthesaukee 01-22-2016 12:31 PM

If all else fails...

If all else fails, then Pull.... Pull..... Pull:D

Sorry AC2717... I just couldn't help myself when I saw the notches on the top of the flywheel. Lots of memories of taking a cover off, and having two lengths of rope, with one end tied around a tree branch or a wooden dowel about 5 in. long.

Hope the long screw idea is a winner.

upthesaukee 01-22-2016 12:44 PM

Will this schematic help?

Does this schematic help?

http://www.marinedynamics.com/fiche_...87&fveh=260751

AC2717 01-22-2016 12:57 PM

Thank you
I was thinking the two long screws were the answer, but didn't want to start taking the actual starter apart. I will pull those two long screws and see what happens.
Will keep y'all updated.
Upthe-thank you but that is just internal on the starter, not wanting to rebuild it rather just replace the whole thing, cheap enough. Funny I can find for under $60 or can get from Evinrude for $170. I'll take the cheaper

AC2717 01-22-2016 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 256122)
If all else fails, then Pull.... Pull..... Pull:D

Sorry AC2717... I just couldn't help myself when I saw the notches on the top of the flywheel. Lots of memories of taking a cover off, and having two lengths of rope, with one end tied around a tree branch or a wooden dowel about 5 in. long.

Hope the long screw idea is a winner.

I did to get it out of the water and to winterize it lol

MAXUM 01-22-2016 04:34 PM

I had to do this on my 30 HP Johnson.

Yes the two long bolts that run through the body hold the starter to the bracket. Now the thing you need to be careful of I when you install your new one there are temporary bolts that hold the housing together that must be removed. If you are not careful to hold the entire starter together, IE TOP and bottom while it is unscrewed it will come apart and if it does... it's a total and complete PITA to get the thing back together. It will want to separate because there are spring loaded brushes in the bottom end of the starter.

Good Luck!

AC2717 01-25-2016 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXUM (Post 256138)
I had to do this on my 30 HP Johnson.

Yes the two long bolts that run through the body hold the starter to the bracket. Now the thing you need to be careful of I when you install your new one there are temporary bolts that hold the housing together that must be removed. If you are not careful to hold the entire starter together, IE TOP and bottom while it is unscrewed it will come apart and if it does... it's a total and complete PITA to get the thing back together. It will want to separate because there are spring loaded brushes in the bottom end of the starter.

Good Luck!

Thank you Very much, it will be this weeks project. Not bad thoug for a OEM starter to last 28 years, wouldn't happen now. Not to mention it was used at least 10 times every fishing day

MAXUM 02-01-2016 03:40 PM

How'd you make out in your repair?

AC2717 02-02-2016 09:51 AM

sorry had a couple other things that ended up taking over my week. Was going to start it today as well and woke up to a newly installed swimming pool in my basement and a leaky water heater. hopefully Thursday I will get on it

VitaBene 02-02-2016 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC2717 (Post 256620)
sorry had a couple other things that ended up taking over my week. Was going to start it today as well and woke up to a newly installed swimming pool in my basement and a leaky water heater. hopefully Thursday I will get on it

Fix the motor and test it in the basement!

AC2717 02-02-2016 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaBene (Post 256643)

I like this one lol, always good to laugh:laugh::D:laugh:

ishoot308 02-02-2016 03:51 PM

Quote:

Pics please! :D:D

Dad sold the C * C 02-05-2016 05:27 AM

Quote:

You know those "swim tubs" are pretty expensive; set the motor up on one end and swin against the current. :)

RLW 02-17-2016 10:06 PM

Here it is the 17th and no notice how it came out or one hasn't had the time to work on it.:)

AC2717 02-18-2016 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLW (Post 257201)
Here it is the 17th and no notice how it came out or one hasn't had the time to work on it.:)

Its almost like I am avoiding it, but with the snow came plowing, then the pond hockey classic, and this past weekend painting a room and a hallway, my daughter has hockey practice three days a week. I have set a goal for myself now to get it apart by the end of the month

sorry for the delays, think of it as Star Wars 8 - not coming out till December 2017 :laugh::D:laugh:

except I will have it done before fishing season in May 2016

upthesaukee 02-18-2016 12:10 PM

Here's what you need...

1 Attachment(s)
Got just the thing for you to get that project done:

Water Camper 02-18-2016 01:21 PM

Round TUIT

We've got one of these on our refrig door.

Thanks,
Bill

AC2717 05-01-2016 12:09 PM

Great news lol
Just replaced the starter in the bracket and was extremely easy thank you for the tip on holding the starter together while taking the screws out.
Took about 10 minutes including clean up and parts cleaning. All that's left is reinstall starter bracket and turn the key. Will be about two weeks from now
Thanks for all the pointers and info
Got the starter for $56 from discount starter no core charge delivered in less than three days to the door