Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winni Pets (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   A Sure Sign of Spring (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9488)

Chickie 03-10-2010 11:45 AM

A Sure Sign of Spring

It must be spring, as my old cat, who has been lounging around on the couch all winter, has suddenly developed an affinity for the out-of-doors. She spends her afternoons basking in the warm sunshine and even brought home a mouse this week, proudly displaying her catch before devouring it body and soul. She did manage to leave a small morsel, however. Was it the liver perhaps, which she deemed to be much too bitter for her delicate palate, or was it my share of the bounty? What a generous creature.

Springtime is nigh and I await the sound of the first peeper to make it official.

Rattlesnake Gal 03-10-2010 01:00 PM

Got a Chuckle From Me Chickie!

What a good kitty bringing home her catch for your approval! :laugh:

It won't be long now until the peepers are heard from. I will have to pay attention to ours down here in southern NH to see what kind of timing difference there is.

Silver Lake here in Hollis typically goes out a week prior to Lake Winnipesaukee. This year... who knows. Nothing seems typical thus far and I hope it continues! Can't wait for ice-out!

Chickie 03-10-2010 01:28 PM

Signs of Spring Continued

I can usually count on hearing the first peepers around the 15th of April, but have heard them earlier than that some years. If we don't have a return to cold and snow, I believe they will begin their annual choir rehearsals early this year. The blue herons usually make a showing around that time, as well. It is interesting how a few miles distance can make such a difference when it comes to the sights and sounds of the seasons.

AC2717 03-10-2010 02:03 PM

Already started

Well at least down here in Metro Boston area. Heard the sounds of birds chirping early in the morning about 6:10am yesterday morning!
They are slowly making their way north again for the Spring

Nagigator 03-10-2010 08:40 PM

early spring

The chipmunks came out two weeks early at least this year, according to my trusty Farmers Almanac. The snow is almost gone here in the north Central Mass woods. Found some pussy willows on the side of the road on Monday.............

WinnDixie 03-10-2010 10:09 PM

Rock concert!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chickie (Post 121235)
I can usually count on hearing the first peepers around the 15th of April, but have heard them earlier than that some years. If we don't have a return to cold and snow, I believe they will begin their annual choir rehearsals early this year. The blue herons usually make a showing around that time, as well. It is interesting how a few miles distance can make such a difference when it comes to the sights and sounds of the seasons.

Chickie has one of the best peeper concerts anywhere...I have heard them...long distance...thanks to her! They have always been one of my most cherished signs of spring. I am so grateful to her because I don't hear any here. She did, however bring me up short when she pointed out to me the other day ,when we were talking ,that Daylight Savings starts THIS SUNDAY!! Is this the earliest ever, or have I just been living in a cave?? Talk about a sign of spring!

wifi 03-11-2010 05:42 AM

I'm seeing ants already :(

Rattlesnake Gal 03-11-2010 07:52 AM

Bees

The bees are out down here - they love my mother's crocus, which are out in full force. Ours, not so much. We are on one of the highest parts in Hollis and that really makes a difference in bloom time.

That just made me think of the island. Do any islanders get bees? I've seen yellow jackets :eek2: a little too up close and personal, but no bees.

I'm surprised we get humming birds too. You would think they would stick to the mainland. Not all of us provide flowers or feeders for them.

AC2717 03-11-2010 10:26 AM

Skunks on the waterfront in Laconia last weekend, Spring is here,

Chickie 03-11-2010 01:45 PM

Spring peepers

It is amazing how such a tiny frog can have such a loud voice. I just did a Google search and learned that in New Brunswick they are called "tinkletoes" and on Martha's Vineyard are called "pinkletinks". There are some very informative websites out there, along with nice photos of those little darlings. All you ever wanted to know about spring peepers. My biology lesson for the day.

Chickie 03-27-2010 08:46 AM

They're Back

Heard my first peepers two nights ago. Oh Happy Day!

Jonas Pilot 03-27-2010 09:33 AM

Chickie, Where was that?

Chickie 03-27-2010 12:25 PM

Peepers

It was in Laconia - Lakeport area.

Nagigator 03-31-2010 08:15 PM

they're here

Just went out with the dog for the last sniff of air tonight, and could hear the peepers in the wet areas of the woods. Welcome spring, although it seems a bit early to me..........