Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winni Pets (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Meet Cooper (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16715)

dpg 10-30-2013 06:21 AM

Meet Cooper

1 Attachment(s)
Or as I like to refer to him "Mini Cooper."

brk-lnt 10-30-2013 06:29 AM

He looks great!
Weimaraner?

Justenuff 10-30-2013 06:59 AM

Pretty Soon He Won't Be a "Mini"

He'll be a big guy. Too Cute :)

dpg 10-30-2013 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brk-lnt (Post 214113)
He looks great!
Weimaraner?

Yes and thanks...

Janet 10-30-2013 09:23 AM

Sweet face!

cillovely 10-30-2013 10:08 AM

So cute!!!!

tis 10-30-2013 01:17 PM

Beautiful! Look at those eyes!

Pineedles 10-30-2013 01:57 PM

Whose a spoiled little puppy? Cooper! :laugh:

MOXIE 10-30-2013 07:15 PM

Wait till he"s got the terrible twos

1 Attachment(s)
I have had 4 wimies. They are VERY smart and are puppies their whole lives. I had one that ate a piano leg, another that could open a fridge, they will keep you on your toes. The best bird dogs I ever had, we used to run them in field trials. There is a NE Yankee club that is full of stories. I saw your pup and it sure brought a smile to my face, Thank's. Pic is old photo of RUDY, he was born April 11, 1976, had him for 13yrs{or he had us}

MOXIE Attachment 8497

BaileyBecca 10-31-2013 05:38 AM

Best wishes Cooper!

dpg 10-31-2013 06:23 AM

Thanks Moxie!! Yeah their definitely a great dog Cooper is my second Weimaraner. He's finally getting the whole "bathroom thing! He sure is a spit fire hope to have him swimming next summer although introduction to water can sometimes be a slow process..We'll see.

salty dog 10-31-2013 09:25 AM

Best of luck

Cooper is a beautiful boy! Looks like a bundle of energy. Gotta love those ears! You're gonna have a whole bunch of fun and love ahead.

Rattlesnake Gal 11-09-2013 06:21 AM

Congrats!

Cooper is absolutely gorgeous! :D Congratulations to you and your family.

Moxie, thanks for sharing your sweet Rudy with us. Wish our fur babies could stay with us forever.

chocophile 11-16-2013 10:43 AM

Dog Lover

You have to love a crumpled photo of a dog from the 1970s -- obviously the photo was carried around for years with pride and great memories.

Many people are more attached to their dogs than their family members. (Often with good reason.)

Our current dogs are brother-sister from the same litter and it's a joy to see their interaction and different personalities.

Lakesrider 01-22-2014 09:04 PM

So is Mini Cooper not s Mini now?:laugh:

lobstadanca 01-25-2014 10:04 PM

Beautiful

What a beautiful dog!

dpg 01-31-2014 07:56 AM

Hi - yeah Cooper's getting quite large although he doesn't seem to realize it! I just finished reading the thread about the dog that ate a whole Perch. Last week Coop got a hold of a pill case the kind that holds a weeks worth of meds. Luckily there was only Vitamin D, a Probiotic and another pill that proved to be harmless I forget the name. Trying to get him used to his crate which he absolutely hates, he drools and bites at it terribly all day. Next test is going to be keeping him loose confined to one room and see how he does. If this doesn't work not sure what's next. I hate the thought of giving him up however we can't keep doing this every day either. He just loves company and wants it 24/7 we need to work, that just isn't possible. Other than that he's a great dog, VERY energetic but hopefully that quiets down a little with age too. My last Weim was way calmer than he has proved to be so far. :rolleye2:

chipj29 01-31-2014 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpg (Post 218729)
Hi - yeah Cooper's getting quite large although he doesn't seem to realize it! I just finished reading the thread about the dog that ate a whole Perch. Last week Coop got a hold of a pill case the kind that holds a weeks worth of meds. Luckily there was only Vitamin D, a Probiotic and another pill that proved to be harmless I forget the name. Trying to get him used to his crate which he absolutely hates, he drools and bites at it terribly all day. Next test is going to be keeping him loose confined to one room and see how he does. If this doesn't work not sure what's next. I hate the thought of giving him up however we can't keep doing this every day either. He just loves company and wants it 24/7 we need to work, that just isn't possible. Other than that he's a great dog, VERY energetic but hopefully that quiets down a little with age too. My last Weim was way calmer than he has proved to be so far. :rolleye2:

Weimeraners can be very hyper-active, and some can suffer separation anxiety. They can be quite a challenge. 2 examples:
One family member had one. Took for a ride in the pick up (dog loved being in the truck). Made a stop, maybe 30-45 mins. When they came back to the truck, the interior was destroyed. Dog had torn down the roof lining and shredded it. Also started chewing up the seats.

A friend of mine also had one. This dog did not like being restrained, at all. Left dog outside for an hour, on a chain which was inside a 10’ x 10’ chain link enclosure. The dog actually was able to drag the chain link enclosure all the way down the driveway into the street.

I have 2 Dalmatians, so believe I know how dogs can be when not getting human interaction. But I would be very hesitant to own a weimeraner based on the 2 examples above.

Your last one was clearly not like the examples I cited above. I am just saying that they can be tough. I wish you the best of luck, as Cooper is a great looking pup.

jmen24 01-31-2014 09:36 AM

Another Option

dpg, we were in the same boat as you when we got our Pointer, Denali. For those that don't know this breed is second only to a Greyhound in flat out sprinting speed. They are bred for speed and stamina (when we play ball in the yard I use a bat to send his tennis ball, because nobody can throw a tennis ball for hours on end). He also hated his crate and started chewing at the wood furniture and trim around the house during the day while we were working on his freedoms. Not knowing what to do, we talked to our vet and they recommended Doggy Daycare. I can tell you that was the best $17.00 per day we ever spent on him. He would go 3 days a week during my work hours. When I picked him up, he was asleep in the front seat before we hit the end of the driveway and would be chill at home on his days off.

He was able to do his thing as wild as he wanted it while out with his friends and we could relax and enjoy him more when we were home together.

The other benefit is that he is well socialized! We have not encountered a situation with other dogs, aggressive or passive, that he does not know how to handle the situation whether on lead or off. The daycare facility had on average 75 dogs a day ranging from Mastiffs to toy breeds. Indoor and outdoor play areas, they had lunch and even nap time.

He stopped going when he was 4, but we use the same location for boarding when we go away. We add him into the daycare group everyday during his vacation.

The best thing we could have ever done for our buddy and us!

ishoot308 01-31-2014 11:05 AM

Ryan Barney

Excellent advice above!

Might I also recommend the advice of a professional.

http://www.dogtrainingnh.com/

She will come to your home and help train you and your pooch.

I could not for the life of me get my young pup from wanting to chase cars while walking her. It was real bad! I tried everything I knew and could think of but the problem just got worse.

In one session of training my wife and I, the problem was solved.

While I have trained many dogs previous to our current, I am not a professional and wasn't about to chance the life of my dog for my ego, that is why I called in Ryan. She was literally a lifesaver for us and our recent pup! Can't say enough good about her.

Good luck!

Dan

dpg 02-03-2014 07:43 AM

Yeah it's been tough but I will not be giving up on him too easily. As I do not live in NH that particular dog training would not be an option. I want to get him in some training classes for the spring I need to start looking. He hasn't done any of the house damage but then again we haven't left him alone to run loose either. Just the typical puppy "ha ha look at me I grabbed your shoe." I do not know of any daycare around me for much less than 25.00 or 30.00 a day and right now that really isn't an option.

Lakesrider 02-15-2014 07:17 PM

I have trained dogs for many, many years, so I am just curious..... Have you set up a webcam/Nanny cam to watch the dog while it is alone? You should do this so you can post what it's reactions are when you leave the house and it alone. Weims are very eye based dogs. You need to look it in the eyes when speaking to it or doing any type of training,. It reads your emotions this way. I never suggest scolding a dog for bad behavior. Remember to only reward good behavior and not to scold the dog. It simply will not understand the scolding. It will simply keep doing what it is doing to get your attention. The dog always wants your attention. Patience is a virtue when dog training. Don't take this the wrong way but you decided to take on the dog as a pet and you now owe it to the dog to train it properly. Sounds like this is what you want as well. Many people get frustrated with training and simply give up. Please do not give up. Weimaraners are a very sensitive breed. Look it in the eyes and you will see this. Have fun with the training and it will not seem like a job. If you are having fun the dog will have fun learning as well. Oh and don't forget the exercise. Very, very important to run or fast walk hyper dogs to release it's energy. This should help keep your furniture from becoming a chew toy. You might want to stop crating as well. Sounds like this is an issue with the dog that will most likely not be rectified any longer. Some dogs simply do not crate. No sense freaking the dog out if it isn't going to work. If the crate becomes a punishment tool, the dog will not want anything to do with the crate, Which sounds like what is happening now. Remember. Exercise, fun, reward. Ignore bad behavior. Do not scold. These are the golden rules in training.:D

dpg 02-19-2014 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakesrider (Post 219465)
I have trained dogs for many, many years, so I am just curious..... Have you set up a webcam/Nanny cam to watch the dog while it is alone? You should do this so you can post what it's reactions are when you leave the house and it alone. Weims are very eye based dogs. You need to look it in the eyes when speaking to it or doing any type of training,. It reads your emotions this way. I never suggest scolding a dog for bad behavior. Remember to only reward good behavior and not to scold the dog. It simply will not understand the scolding. It will simply keep doing what it is doing to get your attention. The dog always wants your attention. Patience is a virtue when dog training. Don't take this the wrong way but you decided to take on the dog as a pet and you now owe it to the dog to train it properly. Sounds like this is what you want as well. Many people get frustrated with training and simply give up. Please do not give up. Weimaraners are a very sensitive breed. Look it in the eyes and you will see this. Have fun with the training and it will not seem like a job. If you are having fun the dog will have fun learning as well. Oh and don't forget the exercise. Very, very important to run or fast walk hyper dogs to release it's energy. This should help keep your furniture from becoming a chew toy. You might want to stop crating as well. Sounds like this is an issue with the dog that will most likely not be rectified any longer. Some dogs simply do not crate. No sense freaking the dog out if it isn't going to work. If the crate becomes a punishment tool, the dog will not want anything to do with the crate, Which sounds like what is happening now. Remember. Exercise, fun, reward. Ignore bad behavior. Do not scold. These are the golden rules in training.:D

Hi - Coopers crate has never, ever been used for punishment we keep it open to him all day and when we're there he's in and out all the time. I've called a local pet store and will be starting private lessons shortly. I opted for private to work on specific things I believe he needs socialization will come in time. I've also looked into the day care but males cannot go into the "general public" and play with other dogs till their "fixed." Two places have told me this and said that's generally the rule with anyone. The neutering will be early summer we were told to wait till he's at least one years old. After that I will bring him once in awhile to get him out of the house to "play." We've recently started leaving him in one room with the slider shut and he's doing ok(?) a few cheap things chewed that we don't care about. He doesn't eat anything seems to chew it and just leave it so that's good. I do see some puppy habits slowly changing. I purposely leave sneakers hanging around so he sees them, their being left alone more and more. And the beat goes on!!! :D

dpg 10-06-2014 01:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
"Mini" Cooper today...Hopefully I post this correctly.

salty dog 10-06-2014 06:02 PM

Maxi Cooper

Looks like "Maxi" Cooper now! All grown up. He must be a lot of fun.

pjard 10-06-2014 07:46 PM

Looks like Cooper is "leaf peeping"!

dpg 10-07-2014 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjard (Post 234561)
Looks like Cooper is "leaf peeping"!

Checking out a squirrel he gives them no rest always wanting to run them up a tree. :eek: