Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   NHEC sticker shock (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28559)

steve-on-mark 01-18-2023 10:53 AM

NHEC sticker shock

Anybody else puzzled by the latest co-op bill?? Ours was over 400 bucks and not only have we been off island for almost 2 months, but power was out for a good portion of that time. Am I missing something??

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

thinkxingu 01-18-2023 11:10 AM

NHEC rates went from 9.62¢ to 16.98¢ per kWh back in August, so you should've seen a sizable increase back then.

Anything other than that is either stuff still drawing power or an NHEC error, right?

The rate will drop to 13.78¢ on February 1st.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

steve-on-mark 01-18-2023 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 380489)
NHEC rates went from 9.62¢ to 16.98¢ per kWh back in August, so you should've seen a sizable increase back then.

Anything other than that is either stuff still drawing power or an NHEC error, right?

The rate will drop to 13.78¢ on February 1st.

Oh I know about the increase! The only things drawing are the septic pump and circulator which is on a thermostat and timer. I had a thought that it might just be an estimated amount based on past usage, but we moved out end of November.

bigdog 01-18-2023 03:57 PM

My electric bill is 'up' by ab out 40% ! Not sure folks can do anything about this increase by utility company.

No plans to change my way of living or cutting back electrical use.

tummyman 01-18-2023 05:36 PM

I would call NHEC. Since meter readings are taken from the meter electronically, the power outages may have screwed things up. And since the billing is for one month usage, then you really have a reason to call them ASAP.

Let us all know what they say.

tummyman 01-18-2023 06:11 PM

New data...just got my current bill. KWH's are way over what my normal winter usage is. Seems there is a problem. Will call them tomorrow....

codeman671 01-18-2023 07:33 PM

I just got my Eversource bill at the house. $1695.00! No joke! You’d think I was running an electric chair in the basement…

Granted we don’t have an oil bill and our propane just serves the hot water but still. This is nuts!

I guess my intended solar system will need to be a lot bigger. Maybe an acres worth…

WinnisquamZ 01-18-2023 08:06 PM

That seem a bit much. Would ask for a meter reading before going off the deep end

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

tis 01-19-2023 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by codeman671 (Post 380518)
I just got my Eversource bill at the house. $1695.00! No joke! You’d think I was running an electric chair in the basement…

Granted we don’t have an oil bill and our propane just serves the hot water but still. This is nuts!

I guess my intended solar system will need to be a lot bigger. Maybe an acres worth…

OMG! I would have a heart attack! We had a sewer pump stuck on once and that used a lot. Maybe it's something like that? We had a hard time tracking down what it was but finally did.

thinkxingu 01-19-2023 06:12 AM

Quote:

That's 60% of my yearly costs...for both homes, and we have electric baseboard heat!

steve-on-mark 01-19-2023 07:28 AM

Quote:

Maybe a windmill farm up on the hill should be on next year's Christmas list...

John Mercier 01-19-2023 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 380532)
That's 60% of my yearly costs...for both homes, and we have electric baseboard heat!

If you're burning wood. The baseboard thermostat is not requesting electricity to produce more heat.

We tend toward ''convenience'' when things are cheap, and demand goes up so much that things start getting expensive.

ishoot308 01-19-2023 08:17 AM

wow!

Quote:

I would definitely confirm that either your well pump or septic pump (if you have a pump up system) is not stuck on.This happened to someone else I know (septic pump) and their electric bill was quite high...worth a check.

Dan

codeman671 01-19-2023 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 380538)
I would definitely confirm that either your well pump or septic pump (if you have a pump up system) is not stuck on.This happened to someone else I know (septic pump) and their electric bill was quite high...worth a check.

Dan

We don't have a sewer pump and our well isn't running. We have a newer variable speed pump with electronic controller. It is our Samsung hvac system most likely. Its our main source of heat so it runs all the time. We don't pay for oil or LP for heat, so there is no other bill offsetting it. We do have LP/FHW baseboard backup in the lower level, I am going to kill the downstairs splits and try that for a while. With $2.07 propane I am better off using that.

Beyond that its time to get my solar installed and turn into the energy-meiser.

ishoot308 01-19-2023 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by codeman671 (Post 380542)
We don't have a sewer pump and our well isn't running. We have a newer variable speed pump with electronic controller. It is our Samsung hvac system most likely. Its our main source of heat so it runs all the time. We don't pay for oil or LP for heat, so there is no other bill offsetting it. We do have LP/FHW baseboard backup in the lower level, I am going to kill the downstairs splits and try that for a while. With $2.07 propane I am better off using that.

How many square feet are you heating??

codeman671 01-19-2023 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 380544)
How many square feet are you heating??

Its about 5000. We do get a fair amount of solar gain though, and have full spray foam and new windows/doors.

Woodsy 01-19-2023 01:10 PM

Steve...

Its quite possible your t-stat for the circulator failed and its running constantly.

Woodsy

steve-on-mark 01-19-2023 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 380547)
Steve...

Its quite possible your t-stat for the circulator failed and its running constantly.

Woodsy

however, I doubt that both the thermostat and timer failed...not to mention that the island was without power or over 2 weeks at least...on my agenda of phone calls to make at lunchtime today.

Senter Cove Guy 01-19-2023 01:42 PM

Propane Price

Quote:

...With $2.07 propane I am better off using that...

Wow! Where are you getting that great propane price?

codeman671 01-19-2023 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senter Cove Guy (Post 380549)

Irving. I signed up for the Fuel Club this fall and it has been great. Plus we get discounts at the pump using the rewards card- they load discounts to it from my propane purchases.

steve-on-mark 01-19-2023 04:02 PM

Problem explained

Just got off the phone with NHEC... the cycle for this bill started 11/23, and I officially closed the house Dec. 11, so that explains the usage. The agent told me the power went out 12/24 and wasn't restored til 1/17 so next month's bill should be miniscule by comparison.

ishoot308 01-19-2023 04:11 PM

Direct Energy

Quote:

If you haven't already, it may be worth signing up for "Direct Energy" as talked about in this thread...seemed like a no brainer to me so I signed up...

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...=energy+direct

Dan

TiltonBB 01-19-2023 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senter Cove Guy (Post 380549)

I paid $1.86 in November and $1.72 in January for a property in Gilford. There are lower prices out there!

John Mercier 01-19-2023 10:37 PM

I guess we are all lucky that it has been a fairly mild winter.