Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Any Loony Bin News (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29226)

SAMIAM 11-28-2023 07:34 AM

Any Loony Bin News

Feel so bad for them. They lost summer and fall business which are needed for off season survival as well as staff having to move to other jobs.
Dont know what their situation is but wish them the best and hope the person that hit the building has enough insurance to make them whole

Mr. V 11-28-2023 01:59 PM

Hopefully the owner had business interruption coverage on his insurance policy to supplement whatever coverage the driver had.

Reilly 11-29-2023 05:31 AM

Bin

Dec 9th is opening day

fatlazyless 12-01-2023 02:55 PM

..... winter holiday bollard covers

Noticed while driving past the Looney Bin, it now has about six newly installed steel bollards for protection from an incoming motor vehicle, all painted black.

Did you know that Googling "bollard holiday covers" will show a variety of bollard decorative covers. For $119.95 at www.postguard.com you get a 4 winter assortment, either 4.5"x52" or 7"x52" diameter that includes four covers; lights, candy cane, Hanukkah and snowflakes.

Now, wouldn't that look nice, out front the Looney Bin!

Somewhere, there must be a Harley Davidson assortment of bollard covers?

NHskier 12-09-2023 06:19 PM

Just saw a piece on WMUR saying they’ve reopened. Great news!

WinnisquamZ 12-09-2023 10:13 PM

Just this evening we stopped in for a drink. Place looks terrific and the staff is very happy to be back to work

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Woodsy 12-11-2023 08:44 AM

The 'Bin is BACK!

1 Attachment(s)
Stopped in last night after a nice weekend in Beantown! Amy and Brigitte behind the bar! I have not had Buffalo Wings since the accident... Happy to report the wings were AMAZING as usual. The GF got the chili and chips and not surprisingly, they too were delicious as always!

Next up the BLT... (Extra Bacon of course!)

Welcome back Michelle & Company! I know it was a lot of hard work & tears to push thru these last few weeks!

Woodsy

pondguy 12-11-2023 10:56 AM

I don't get out much but man do I miss the chili. :liplick:

pjard 12-12-2023 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 389588)
Noticed while driving past the Looney Bin, it now has about six newly installed steel bollards for protection from an incoming motor vehicle, all painted black.

Did you know that Googling "bollard holiday covers" will show a variety of bollard decorative covers. For $119.95 at www.postguard.com you get a 4 winter assortment, either 4.5"x52" or 7"x52" diameter that includes four covers; lights, candy cane, Hanukkah and snowflakes.

Now, wouldn't that look nice, out front the Looney Bin!

Somewhere, there must be a Harley Davidson assortment of bollard covers?

Alot of people were hurt and this was tramatic for many. Do you find this funny?

ApS 12-12-2023 05:37 AM

At Least, Looney Bin Didn't Have Looters!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 389588)
Noticed while driving past the Looney Bin, it now has about six newly installed steel bollards for protection from an incoming motor vehicle, all painted black. Did you know that Googling "bollard holiday covers" will show a variety of bollard decorative covers. For $119.95 at www.postguard.com you get a 4 winter assortment, either 4.5"x52" or 7"x52" diameter that includes four covers; lights, candy cane, Hanukkah and snowflakes. Now, wouldn't that look nice, out front the Looney Bin! Somewhere, there must be a Harley Davidson assortment of bollard covers?

Somewhere in my presently-sidelined laptop, I'd taken a picture of a concrete-filled bollard bent over and resting against a gas pump!

Some vehicles might have the "heft" to move them. Here's a one-minute Twin-Cities cafe video, but everything comes to a stop within 30 seconds:

https://youtu.be/l1_ygd3gAq8?si=Tl1QFMJ1onvkfgJE

fatlazyless 12-12-2023 05:51 AM

With the wide spread use of smart phones, texting, and computer screens on car dashboards, that location and close position of the Looney Bin to 40-mph D W Hgwy at that busy spot made it an accident waiting to happen. Every time I drove past it I always think how easy it would be for a car to accidentally drive into this building. Bollards are not enough protection. It could use a couple 5000-lb granite boulders placed out front as well.

Recently, a similar accident happened at Hart's Turkey as well as at other building collisions in N.H. Driving cars seem to cross the center line more now than in the past and one strong reason is the driver is paying attention to their smart phone and not to their driving.

LoveLakeLife 12-12-2023 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjard (Post 389809)
Alot of people were hurt and this was tramatic for many. Do you find this funny?

I’m guessing the question to FLL was rhetorical for some unstated purpose.

KPW 12-13-2023 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjard (Post 389809)

He wasn't making fun of what happened.

fatlazyless 12-14-2023 08:46 AM

...... on the rocks!

If that Looney Bin restaurant was a town or state owned property positioned so close and facing a busy 40-mph road it would have a sturdy fence to protect the people inside.

Placing two 5000-lb granite boulders out front is a low cost and good looking solution to this traffic safety problem because it is private property. People will want to take selfie photos while sitting on the rocks, out front the Looney Bin. ..... :D

LoveLakeLife 12-14-2023 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KPW (Post 389860)
He wasn't making fun of what happened.

Agreed.

TiltonBB 12-15-2023 08:05 AM

There is a story and a picture in today's Laconia Sun. I hope the new bollards have a deep concrete base. I would guess they do.

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...d3a247c27.html

Hillcountry 12-15-2023 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 389923)
There is a story and a picture in today's Laconia Sun. I hope the new bollards have a deep concrete base. I would guess they do.

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...d3a247c27.html

Hmmm…those bollards look on the puny side to me. Doesn’t seem like they could stop a runaway vehicle but I could be mistaken as I’m no engineer. ��

thinkxingu 12-15-2023 08:43 AM

They also look really close to the building.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Woodsy 12-15-2023 09:27 AM

I am pretty sure BPS was the GC on the reconstruction. I am also very familiar with the company that installed the bollards. I have no doubt they are strong enough and installed correctly. They are no closer to the building than the bollards are that protect gas pumps. I will have no problem sitting at table in the 'Bin

Woodsy

TiltonBB 12-15-2023 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 389926)
I am pretty sure BPS was the GC on the reconstruction. I am also very familiar with the company that installed the bollards. I have no doubt they are strong enough and installed correctly. They are no closer to the building than the bollards are that protect gas pumps. I will have no problem sitting at table in the 'Bin

Woodsy

You are kind of a big guy and I am not taking any chances. Any problem if I sit behind you? (Not too close) :)

thinkxingu 12-15-2023 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 389926)

Woodsy

I wouldn't have had a problem sitting in there without the bollards—statistics and all that.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

ApS 12-15-2023 01:33 PM

Bollards Won't Protect Against Projectile Car Parts...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 389924)
Hmmm…those bollards look on the puny side to me.
Doesn’t seem like they could stop a runaway vehicle but I could be mistaken as I’m no engineer. ��

I agree.

Worse, the pathway to the front of the restaurant is steeply downhill. :eek:

I think it's up to NHDoT to install suitable three-layer guardrails closer to the lanes of travel.

Boulders would pose the hazard of sending a vehicle into an out-of-control rollover--sending wheels, glass, doors, drivetrains, and other projectiles above and between the bollards. :eek2:

Gas station bollards work satisfactorily because they're protecting against vehicles moving at walking-speeds.

:look:

ITD 12-16-2023 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 389811)
With the wide spread use of smart phones, texting, and computer screens on car dashboards, that location and close position of the Looney Bin to 40-mph D W Hgwy at that busy spot made it an accident waiting to happen. Every time I drove past it I always think how easy it would be for a car to accidentally drive into this building. Bollards are not enough protection. It could use a couple 5000-lb granite boulders placed out front as well.

Recently, a similar accident happened at Hart's Turkey as well as at other building collisions in N.H. Driving cars seem to cross the center line more now than in the past and one strong reason is the driver is paying attention to their smart phone and not to their driving.

Good post Less. Unfortunately the only way to stop this stupidity is to stop phone internet apps from working while moving.

mofn 12-17-2023 08:52 AM

We drove up from Boston yesterday, at 11.57 we were 15? deep. 3 of the 4 tables had 2 different parties seated after 15 minutes, not a seat in the place. Even a few standers having a few howdy-ya-do’s while waiting for a seat. Full beer menu NOT up and running yet. Another than that it was all good in the hood, never missed a beat.

P.S. Those bumpers out front are useless! 5 inches from the building. Has no one heard of mass X velocity?