Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Automotive (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Welding & Metal Fabrication needed (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27236)

bigdog 07-17-2021 01:29 PM

Welding & Metal Fabrication needed

The lower rear 'rocker panel' of my car are rusted out and need replacing.
That said, I'm looking for someone who can do metal fabrication to make new metal/aluminum panel pieces and weld them to car.

Any recommendations are appreciated !

Thanks......

TheProfessor 07-17-2021 05:30 PM

There used to be a metal shop somewhere near the Laconia airport and Lowe's in Gilford as I recall. That was over 10 years ago. Not sure if place still there.
They did metal cutting and fabrication.

Loub52 07-17-2021 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdog (Post 358802)
That said, I'm looking for someone who can do metal fabrication to make new metal/aluminum panel pieces and weld them to car.

Thanks......

Stephen’s Frame and Collision in Belmont. In 2020, had the driver side rocker panel replaced, in addition to some other rust repairs, along with new running boards. His work was excellent, on time and fairly priced.

TheProfessor 07-19-2021 07:37 AM

Quote:

If this is just replacement automotive body panels - then any automotive body shop can purchase these panels pre-made.
Many automotive body panels are actually made in Taiwan.

Now if your vehicle is a 1935 Pierce Arrow - that may require a machine shop.

Onshore 07-19-2021 08:13 AM

Quote:

Thanks......

The rocker panels are "rusting" meaning they are typical steel sheet metal and you want someone who can make aluminum panels and weld them to the remaining steel. Is it possible to weld aluminum to steel? If so, is it practical / wise?

4 for Boating 07-19-2021 08:51 AM

East Coast

Had a trailer welded to add supports / additional cross bars underneath at East Coast Welding over by the airport. (Go to the back of the building to find the office) Fair price and what looks to me like very good quality work. Can't hurt to stop by and talk to them.

1979 Lakeshore Road, Gilford, NH 03249

TiltonBB 07-19-2021 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4 for Boating (Post 358935)
Had a trailer welded to add supports / additional cross bars underneath at East Coast Welding over by the airport. (Go to the back of the building to find the office) Fair price and what looks to me like very good quality work. Can't hurt to stop by and talk to them.

1979 Lakeshore Road, Gilford, NH 03249

Excellent work and a fair price at East Coast Welding. The bad news is he is very busy and you may have to wait. I know he builds the aluminum frames for Watermark docks and just that is a significant amount of work.

I talked to Al, the owner, a couple of weeks ago about some work for me. Like everyone else in business, he is having trouble finding good help. But, it never hurts to ask.

TheProfessor 07-19-2021 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onshore (Post 358930)
The rocker panels are "rusting" meaning they are typical steel sheet metal

As mentioned numerous times here.
If the vehicle had been oil undercoated. There would be no rust issue.

WinnisquamZ 07-19-2021 11:29 AM

Just had my “new to me truck” oil undercoating done. After two weeks it still smells. Guessing that goes away

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Onshore 07-19-2021 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheProfessor (Post 358947)
As mentioned numerous times here.
If the vehicle had been oil undercoated. There would be no rust issue.

I do appreciate the value of oil/undercoating but that is not to my point. The OP is suggesting welding new fabricated aluminum panels to steel. These are two very different metals. Is this really doable?

Kingfisher 07-19-2021 12:49 PM

Alum panels can be fabricated….but not welded to the original steel panels. Riveted or other fasteners yes, but not welded.

SAB1 07-19-2021 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 358952)
Just had my “new to me truck” oil undercoating done. After two weeks it still smells. Guessing that goes away

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

When mine was done I smelled that for at least two months….

JEEPONLY 07-20-2021 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAB1 (Post 358992)
When mine was done I smelled that for at least two months….

And, how long does it leak oil on to your garage floor?
My point, really, is that my driveway is macadam, and probably couldn't stand oil leaking onto it for 2-3 weeks.
The idea of doing oil undercoating has appealed to me for quite a while, but I don't see a non-messy/viable way around the negatives.
Is that what the play is- saving the bottom of your vehicle v. putting up with a bunch of filthy, slimey crap?
Just wondering!

Biggd 07-20-2021 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEEPONLY (Post 359032)
And, how long does it leak oil on to your garage floor?
My point, really, is that my driveway is macadam, and probably couldn't stand oil leaking onto it for 2-3 weeks.
The idea of doing oil undercoating has appealed to me for quite a while, but I don't see a non-messy/viable way around the negatives.
Is that what the play is- saving the bottom of your vehicle v. putting up with a bunch of filthy, slimey crap?
Just wondering!

If you're the mechanic working on the chassis of an oily beast it's not enjoyable but then again neither is a rusty beast. :rolleye1:

TheProfessor 07-22-2021 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 359042)
If you're the mechanic working on the chassis of an oily beast it's not enjoyable but then again neither is a rusty beast. :rolleye1:

Actually, the mechanics appreciated an oiled vehicle. As nuts and bolts will come off easier.

Yes. Those that think that the oil will not drip should not get this done. And just live with a rusty old car that will need multiple rusty items fixed or repaired.

TheProfessor 07-23-2021 03:24 PM

Metal Fabrication.
Across street from Ricker's Salvage in Tamworth, NH.

https://goshange.com/#!/gallery/miscellaneous