Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Snowmobiling (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Moultonboro Trails Still Closed (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20248)

chrider 02-15-2016 08:01 AM

Moultonboro Trails Still Closed

Unfortunately, all of our trails are closed due to lack of snow. Please stay off the trails! I saw two riders on corridor #15 where there was about 0" to 3" of snow. This damages the trails, and the land owners get pretty ticked off. As the guy who has to deal with these landowners (ie: apologize profusely and beg forgiveness) , I'm pleading with riders not to give in to the temptation of a quick spin. We have had significant problems in landowner relations already this year. When there is sufficient snow cover, we will pack the trails, groom them and open all 18 of the gates.

Thank you for your cooperation!

Vice President
Moultonboro Snowmobile Club

upthesaukee 02-15-2016 09:01 AM

I feel your pain.

I feel your pain. On my side of the lake, we only have 3-6 inches of snow cover and the trail that goes through the woods at the back of my property has not been groomed yet. This trail is a little "rustic" as opposed to being a smooth graded trail without rocks and closely cut stumps.

Saturday, two snowmobilers went eastbound on the trail, on and off the gas, spewing snow and dirt/mud out the back of each machine. The two were obviously not caring about the trail and its lack of snow cover.

I do not snowmobile, have in the past, but simply wanted to help out the local club with an alternative trail when they lost the primary trail a few years ago when the property was sold. It is in part of our lot that stays wet most of the year, and so I am not particularly concerned. Other landowners, however, may take a different view on their property.

However, that type of behavior sure can make a mess out of the trails, making the ride seem more like a freestyle skiing mogul competition than a nice snowmobile ride.

I understand the frustration of those who paid their registrations early, and then can't ride, but land owners are vital to the trail systems in NH. Respect their land has to be the 1st priority of all who use the trails.

thanks for all you do.

MAXUM 02-15-2016 09:58 AM

Here's what I don't get.

Snowmobiles are VERY expensive toys.. to buy and fix, regardless of age. So why in the world does anyone think it's a good idea to run them on less than marginal snow conditions and even worse ride them through the mud, through swamps and on dirt? Do that many people really have no clue that this is the worst thing you can do to one of these machines or is it just they don't care? Boggles the mind... and certainly explains why there are so many problems due to a serious lapse of common sense amongst a handful of riders.

Will be interesting to see what the future holds for not only snowmobiling but ATV use as well. Seems like there is just enough riders that just don't seem to care about anything but themselves, and because of that feel as though they have every right to ignore whatever they deem to thwart them from going and doing as they please. As has been pointed out a million times, most of the trails are on private land and landowners have every right to say no. Sadly by the time it gets to that point EVERYONE suffers. There is only so much the clubs and the NH F&G can do to prevent this or catch the perpetrators. They can't be everywhere all the time.

I get so aggravated every time I see postings like this -

To all you guys who work tirelessly to keep the sport alive, run the clubs and do an enormous amount of work so that we all can enjoy it... THANK YOU!

nhcatrider 02-15-2016 11:08 AM

I've been seeing more cameras around gates and trouble areas. Maybe if they are of high enough quality and aimed right they can get registration numbers, at the least get pictures of them and start placing them at shops in the area. The club I belong to had an issue 3 years ago and a camera helped catch the irresponsible party.

SAB1 02-15-2016 08:05 PM

Gotta agree Maxum. Can't say it any better than you did. Hard to understand people sometimes. Seems to just get worse as time goes on. Not a lot of respect out there at times.

Barney Bear 02-18-2016 05:30 PM

Seen on TV

Just saw a piece on Channel 9 concerning poor conditions for snowmobiling. John Harrington was featured. :)

upthesaukee 02-18-2016 05:56 PM

John was very well - spoken.

I live here... I am always Upthesaukee.

Skip 02-18-2016 06:44 PM

Another Winni TV personality!

Yes, very nice job John....how do i get your autograph? :)

ITD 02-18-2016 10:20 PM

Link to WMUR story:

http://www.wmur.com/news/lack-of-sno...esses/38069046

VitaBene 02-19-2016 05:57 AM

I have not watched it... dont think I will!! Thank you though!

Rusty 02-19-2016 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITD (Post 257244)

Ahhhhhhh look at those chubby cheeks. :D

tis 02-19-2016 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaBene (Post 257246)
I have not watched it... dont think I will!! Thank you though!

I watched it! Good job!!

dpg 02-22-2016 11:48 AM

Time to "summerize" your machines and put them away! :D

SIKSUKR 02-22-2016 02:44 PM

I'll summerize.This winter blows.:emb::laugh: