Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Lee Wah Chen: Moultonborough Chinese Food (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27053)

thinkxingu 05-29-2021 06:49 PM

Lee Wah Chen: Moultonborough Chinese Food

It's been four years since the last thread on this place, so here goes:

Bob House, Canoe, Camp, etc. all were booked, so we grabbed takeout tonight after a chilly, overcast Memorial Weekend Saturday, and they hit it out of the park.

Pupu platter for two (hold the raccoons, add extra fingers), sesame chicken, house fried rice = $52.xx and it was awesome. Really hit the spot.

They're not doing dine-in yet, but if anyone's in the area looking for Chinese takeout, give 'em a go (especially if you've not been in a while, like us).

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Jdarby 05-30-2021 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 356256)
It's been four years since the last thread on this place, so here goes:

Bob House, Canoe, Camp, etc. all were booked, so we grabbed takeout tonight after a chilly, overcast Memorial Weekend Saturday, and they hit it out of the park.

Pupu platter for two (hold the raccoons, add extra fingers), sesame chicken, house fried rice = $52.xx and it was awesome. Really hit the spot.

They're not doing dine-in yet, but if anyone's in the area looking for Chinese takeout, give 'em a go (especially if you've not been in a while, like us).

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Yep! We’ve been ordering takeout from them consistently over the last year and haven’t been disappointed. Called in orders are usually ready in 10-15 minutes. On Friday it was a 60 minute wait but we’ll worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

bruinsfan 05-30-2021 11:23 AM

Always fresh and consistantly good.

Never have to worry if the food will taste different depending on the person cooking that day.

Plus, it's great that they're open year round for those of us that live here year round.

thinkxingu 07-16-2021 10:49 AM

Essential information: the pupu platter for one does NOT come with any fried shrimp action. You can imagine my disappointment upon opening my order at 9:15 PM last night, the last solo night of my week before my wife and kids join me.

It, with an order of house fried rice (hold the onions) was, again, AWESOME.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mr. V 07-16-2021 12:17 PM

So then, is Lee Wah Chen the "best" Chinese food available in the lakes region?

rsmlp 07-17-2021 06:05 AM

Lee Wah

Good God! Americanized Chinese food if there ever was. I'll take Lemon Grass 1000 times over. No debate.

thinkxingu 07-17-2021 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsmlp (Post 358760)
Good God! Americanized Chinese food if there ever was. I'll take Lemon Grass 1000 times over. No debate.

You misspelled "delicious."

FlyingScot 07-17-2021 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 358761)
You misspelled "delicious."

Ha! My tastebuds are with rsmlp, but my heart is with you. I love that you had to get your pupu platter in before your wife arrived. Don't worry--we won't tell!

thinkxingu 07-17-2021 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 358769)
Ha! My tastebuds are with rsmlp, but my heart is with you. I love that you had to get your pupu platter in before your wife arrived. Don't worry--we won't tell!

The only difference, really, is that we'd have to get raccoons to satiate the wife, which means fewer fingers. Sad face.

Newbiesaukee 07-17-2021 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsmlp (Post 358760)

We love Lemon Grass and Chef Ooh. But it was not authentic Thai, but “fusion” from its founding by Mike Love years ago. And Chef Ooh has markedly improved it.

As far as Lee Wah, it is totally decent, if Amercanized, Chinese food and the new owner is enthusiastic and has done wonders with the old Lee Wah.

And even if “Americanized,” Lee Wah Chen has an extensive menu and Chef says he will make what you want.

And if we’re being “picky” why compare Lemon Grass with Lee Wah? Not all Asian food is the same.

phoenix 07-17-2021 12:07 PM

Its funny i was finally going to go for the first time on a Monday night a few weeks back and it was closed as by the way everything else was also even both pizza places

thinkxingu 07-17-2021 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenix (Post 358790)
Its funny i was finally going to go for the first time on a Monday night a few weeks back and it was closed as by the way everything else was also even both pizza places

There's nothing funny in being stranded! I had a meh experience at the Bob House Wednesday night and dearly hoped for a second chance Thursday, but I was too late coming back on the ski and they close at 9 like everything else...except Lee Wah Chen!

rsmlp 07-17-2021 12:26 PM

Lee Wah Vs Lemon Grass

"And if we’re being “picky” why compare Lemon Grass with Lee Wah? Not all Asian food is the same."

The obvious reason for the comparison is they are two Asian restaurants in the same town. I will admit that some of my older children (3 out of 5) like "fake China" and Lee Wah is one of their fave. A classic dish like General Tso's chicken I find just detestable and they love it. Not all taste buds are the same!

Newbiesaukee 07-17-2021 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsmlp (Post 358798)
"And if we’re being “picky” why compare Lemon Grass with Lee Wah? Not all Asian food is the same."

The obvious reason for the comparison is they are two Asian restaurants in the same town. I will admit that some of my older children (3 out of 5) like "fake China" and Lee Wah is one of their fave. A classic dish like General Tso's chicken I find just detestable and they love it. Not all taste buds are the same!

Since we’re not really discussing a serious topic:

My point was that there is no “obvious” reason to compare those two restaurants as Thai food (fusion or not) has very little in common with Chinese food ( Americanized or not). The ONLY similarity is Thailand and China are in Asia. The original review was for Lee Wah.

You brought up the comparison to Lemon Grass. This is not anymore logical than to comparing it to other nearby restaurants.

And for the record…General Tso’s Chicken was developed in Taiwan. Whether that makes it Chinese is politically arguable. I’ve never tasted it.

And Think, the original poster, pointed out he got to Lee Wah because a variety of nearby restaurants such as Canoe and the Bob House were booked. He didn’t mention Lemon Grass.

Regardless, enjoy your weekend.

phoenix 07-18-2021 10:13 AM

Thats funny gen tso chicken is what i had four years ago at lee wah and it was terrible. Dark meat and gristly . Thinking suggested i try again unfortunately it was closed. I don't think either PRC or Taiwan would not view the islanders as Chinese but would question what kind of government should run them

bruinsfan 07-18-2021 10:44 AM

Lee Wah Chen offers tasty and consistently good food in the Lakes Region.

If your vacationing up here and expect a Michelin stared chef to make your egg roll, you’re out of touch …… critiquing the authenticity of the “cuisine” isn’t fair and quite obnoxious.

The fact that we have a quality, year round Chinese restaurant is worth more than your pretentious pallet.

watrskir 07-18-2021 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruinsfan (Post 358880)
Lee Wah Chen offers tasty and consistently good food in the Lakes Region.

If your vacationing up here and expect a Michelin stared chef to make your egg roll, you’re out of touch …… critiquing the authenticity of the “cuisine” isn’t fair and quite obnoxious.

The fact that we have a quality, year round Chinese restaurant is worth more than your pretentious pallet.

I really like their food! Just wish I could substitute something for the egg roll on the dinner combinations. I hate eggrolls. On another note... I've almost duplicated the "Americanized" Steak Teriyaki on a stick.

Biggd 07-18-2021 03:36 PM

There aren't a lot of choices in the lakes region for good Chinese food so if you find one you like then stick with it.
I'm in Meredith and I will give Lee Wah Chen a try.
We usually go to Green Ginger since Phu Jee closed down but it's a hike!

thinkxingu 07-19-2021 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 358895)
There aren't a lot of choices in the lakes region for good Chinese food so if you find one you like then stick with it.
I'm in Meredith and I will give Lee Wah Chen a try.
We usually go to Green Ginger since Phu Jee closed down but it's a hike!

Too bad about Phu Jee—even though my one visit wasn't awesome, I was hoping they'd reopen.

Let us know what you think about Lee Wah if/when you get there—when we first went there some years ago, it wasn't very good, but these last couple years they've really done a great job.

Biggd 07-19-2021 09:05 AM

It's unfortunate that a lot of Chinese restaurants closed down during Covid due to the Asian hate cancel culture.
You would have thought that they were set up to do well when everyone was confined to their homes because they already did such a tremendous take out business.
Even back in Ma we lost a lot of Chinese restaurants due to all Asians being blamed for the virus.

Seaplane Pilot 07-19-2021 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 358936)
It's unfortunate that a lot of Chinese restaurants closed down during Covid due to the Asian hate cancel culture.
You would have thought that they were set up to do well when everyone was confined to their homes because they already did such a tremendous take out business.
Even back in Ma we lost a lot of Chinese restaurants due to all Asians being blamed for the virus.

What about all the non-Chinese restaurants that closed due to government mandates? A cursory look shows about 25% of restaurants in Massachusetts have closed permanently due to the mandates. These closures obviously have nothing to do with "Asian Hate Cancel Culture", so I think it's a real stretch to say that "Asian Hate" caused Chinese restaurants to go out of business. Just another false claim by the mainstream media.

Jdarby 07-19-2021 09:40 AM

We have lived in several states over the years wherein we didn’t have a solid Chinese takeout option. I’ve also done a lot of Chinese takeout during business travel. We are quite happy with having Lee Wah Chen as our closest Chinese restaurant! It’s top notch in the world of Chinese takeout and they get our business a 2-3 times a month!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Biggd 07-19-2021 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot (Post 358939)
What about all the non-Chinese restaurants that closed due to government mandates? A cursory look shows about 25% of restaurants in Massachusetts have closed permanently due to the mandates. These closures obviously have nothing to do with "Asian Hate Cancel Culture", so I think it's a real stretch to say that "Asian Hate" caused Chinese restaurants to go out of business. Just another false claim by the mainstream media.

Most Chinese restaurants have a tremendous take out business. These restaurants were set up to do well in a take out atmosphere such as a pandemic.
Many other restaurants had to adapt to take out quickly to survive. Many couldn't or wouldn't adapt.
I will admit all restaurants took a big hit but to ignore existence of racism is just putting your head in the sand.
I'm done here, didn't mean to turn this into a political bash fest.

thinkxingu 07-19-2021 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 358946)
Most Chinese restaurants have a tremendous take out business. These restaurants were set up to do well in a take out atmosphere such as a pandemic.
Many other restaurants had to adapt to take out quickly to survive. Many couldn't or wouldn't adapt.
I will admit all restaurants took a big hit but to ignore existence of racism is just putting your head in the sand.
I'm done here, didn't mean to turn this into a political bash fest.

Honestly, I'm glad you posted it—my first inclination was to think like Seaplane, with the addition of a comment on alcohol sales being a sizable portion of Chinese restaurants, but I remembered a fragment of a podcast I'd heard once and went to research, and you're right: there's a LOT of data showing that Asian tourism and restaurant businesses were hit doubly hard.

thinkxingu 07-07-2022 11:07 AM

Just an update: we've done Lee Wah twice this season, and both times it's been excellent.

Yay for good (bad) Chinese food in the area!

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk