Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winni Wildlife (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Sea Monster (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26082)

winterh 07-21-2020 06:43 AM

Sea Monster

1 Attachment(s)
This guy was sitting on a rock along my shoreline. Pretty good sized snake, slid into water and swam away after about an hour of sunning itself. I might think twice before going for a swim now. Can anyone tell me what kind?

Barney Bear 07-21-2020 07:08 AM

Beautiful!

Perhaps a water snake. 🐻

Y2K 07-21-2020 09:57 AM

I believe that is commonly called "A NOPE ROPE" :laugh:

DesertDweller 07-21-2020 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 339464)

Looks like it to me as well.

I have bumped into them through accident a couple of times through the years and will say a lot of times they are not bashful about letting you know you are in their space. Usually have a home along the shoreline they hang out in and as long as you stay away from it you won't bother each other. Next time you see him take a look to see where he goes and just keep a few feet away from that and you will be fine.

IslandRadio 07-21-2020 10:32 PM

The coloring looks like the Northern Water Snake.

They are all around this area. Have them here at Mirror Lake as well. They have never, ever been an issue. I swim almost every day.

ApS 07-22-2020 03:38 AM

Aquatic, Non-Poisonous and Harmless...

The Northern Water Snake is harmless. There are ZERO poisonous aquatic snakes in New Hampshire.

I see them in Florida, while I'm working in knee-deep water. They don't pay any attention to me, as they leisurely swim past my knees. :eek2:

Their patterns are similar, so they can't be readily distinguished from the aggressive (and poisonous) Water Moccasin, except the Northern Water Snake swims completely under water. (The Moccasin swims with head exposed).

Northern Water Snakes can make themselves look angry--and some have grown to four feet long! :eek:

sailing 07-22-2020 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 339543)
The Northern Water Snake is harmless. There are ZERO poisonous aquatic snakes in New Hampshire.

I see them in Florida, while I'm working in knee-deep water. They don't pay any attention to me, as they leisurely swim past my knees. :eek2:

Their patterns are similar, so they can't be readily distinguished from the aggressive (and poisonous) Water Moccasin, except the Northern Water Snake swims completely under water. (The Moccasin swims with head exposed).

Northern Water Snakes can make themselves look angry--and some have grown to four feet long! :eek:

For some people just to see a snake like this one can be a big problem))) :laugh:

WinnisquamZ 07-22-2020 03:08 PM

Huge problem

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

8gv 07-22-2020 09:01 PM

In the words of John Lennon...

"If looks could kill it would've been us instead of him."

icg56 07-22-2020 09:17 PM

leave them alone

You are not on the menu, leave them alone,