Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Pier 19 experience (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22343)

Peter 07-24-2017 08:13 AM

Pier 19 experience

Yesterday afternoon I was driving my boat back to park at our docking spot at Pier 19. As I approached the docks, there was a boat in front of me looking lost. They finally decided to pull in towards the gas area and started waving to friends on shore. I shouted several times to try and ask if they were looking for public docking or to get gas. Completely ignored. They ended up getting too close to the gas pump area to let the person leaving get out. This driver had no clue how to control his boat and eventually caused the boat leaving the gas pump area to scrape his boat along the back of a docked boat. Needless to say, both drivers had words for each other.

The wreckless boat didn't know how to pull into the gas dock area to pick up their friends. They ended up sticking the bow of the boat towards the dock, had the gas attendant hold the rope as their guests boarded.

Worst boating I've seen in years. Tried to talk to the boat driver but they had left by the time I had tied up.

All this happened after taking my kids tubing and had two boats fly by at full speed between me and another boat that was a little over a 150' away from me. You wonder why I don't go boating after 10 am on weekends! :)

Biggd 07-24-2017 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter (Post 282535)
Yesterday afternoon I was driving my boat back to park at our docking spot at Pier 19. As I approached the docks, there was a boat in front of me looking lost. They finally decided to pull in towards the gas area and started waving to friends on shore. I shouted several times to try and ask if they were looking for public docking or to get gas. Completely ignored. They ended up getting too close to the gas pump area to let the person leaving get out. This driver had no clue how to control his boat and eventually caused the boat leaving the gas pump area to scrape his boat along the back of a docked boat. Needless to say, both drivers had words for each other.

The wreckless boat didn't know how to pull into the gas dock area to pick up their friends. They ended up sticking the bow of the boat towards the dock, had the gas attendant hold the rope as their guests boarded.

Worst boating I've seen in years. Tried to talk to the boat driver but they had left by the time I had tied up.

All this happened after taking my kids tubing and had two boats fly by at full speed between me and another boat that was a little over a 150' away from me. You wonder why I don't go boating after 10 am on weekends! :)

I avoid Winni on weekends altogether. I go to the lake to avoid the stress of traffic but it seems to be Just as bad as Mass on weekends on the road and the water.:(

Tyler 07-24-2017 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 282537)
I avoid Winni on weekends altogether. I go to the lake to avoid the stress of traffic but it seems to be Just as bad as Mass on weekends on the road and the water.:(

I thought you were on lake Waukewan?

Descant 07-24-2017 12:13 PM

More stupid? Most stupid?

More stupid? Most stupid? This is one of those threads right?
We went to Meredith Saturday afternoon around 3:45. Good flow in and out of docks, full, but out many waiting in line to dock.
In the midst of this dense traffic, was a parade of paddle boarders presumably from the rental place by "Town Docks". They totally blocked entrance/exit to the docks. Once in a while, there would be a break and boat would try o scoot out (at headway speed or less.) As they started to move, another group would head in front of them. Obviously multiple accidents waiting to happen.
I hope the rental shop owners will take note and suggest that renters go south in front of Church Landing instead of north in front of heavy, albeit slow, traffic.
One boarder falls and knocks over two more and boats, even at headway speed, have no place to move out of the way, or no ability if you shut down the engine. I don't blame inexperienced paddle boarders for their inexperience, but the shop operator should be doling something different. (Is this an "I told you so" from the thread that announced the plans for the rental shop?)

New Hampshire Lake Man 07-24-2017 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter (Post 282535)
They ended up sticking the bow of the boat towards the dock, had the gas attendant hold the rope as their guests boarded.

Ugh, that sounds terrible. Can I make a friendly suggestion, however, that if you are going to chastise others for their poor boating that you at least use correct sailing terminology. The object that binds a boat to a dock is not "the rope" but rather a "line" - preferably a bow line or a stern line. One does not have a "docking spot" but a "slip."

Lastly, although the poster did not commit this transgression I can't tell you how many people refer to the "map" of Winnipesaukee rather than the "chart." Sloppy boating terminology leads to sloppy boating.

Biggd 07-24-2017 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Hampshire Lake Man (Post 282559)
Ugh, that sounds terrible. Can I make a friendly suggestion, however, that if you are going to chastise others for their poor boating that you at least use correct sailing terminology. The object that binds a boat to a dock is not "the rope" but rather a "line" - preferably a bow line or a stern line. One does not have a "docking spot" but a "slip."

Lastly, although the poster did not commit this transgression I can't tell you how many people refer to the "map" of Winnipesaukee rather than the "chart." Sloppy boating terminology leads to sloppy boating.

This is worse than correcting some ones spelling. I don't know why people feel the need to do this. I think we all got his message even without the correct terminology.

New Hampshire Lake Man 07-24-2017 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 282561)
This is worse than correcting some ones spelling. I don't know why people feel the need to do this. I think we all got his message even without the correct terminology.

Maybe. If the misspelled post was chastising someone for poor spelling - maybe.

As someone who was taught how to boat/sail on salt water and then moved to fresh, I can tell you there's an ocean's difference between salt water sailors and fresh water sailors in their knowledge and skills. I have always assumed it was because the penalty for being sloppy is more severe on salt water. I hope we fresh water boaters can "up our game."

Little Bear 07-24-2017 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Hampshire Lake Man (Post 282563)

As someone who was taught how to boat/sail on salt water and then moved to fresh, I can tell you there's an ocean's difference between salt water sailors and fresh water sailors in their knowledge and skills. I have always assumed it was because the penalty for being sloppy is more severe on salt water. I hope we fresh water boaters can "up our game."

I used to think that too. However, after spending the past 3 winters boating in SW Florida (Gulf of Mexico), I can tell you that the "sailors" there are no better (if not worse) than any of the boneheads that I've seen on the lake. And that water is about as salty as it gets.

Biggd 07-24-2017 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Bear (Post 282564)
I used to think that too. However, after spending the past 3 winters boating in SW Florida (Gulf of Mexico), I can tell you that the "sailors" there are no better (if not worse) than any of the boneheads that I've seen on the lake. And that water is about as salty as it gets.

And so are the sailors!

Descant 07-24-2017 02:57 PM

Wow! Nine posts and we've already covered three topics. Must be the rain.

TheTimeTraveler 07-24-2017 03:32 PM

Let's change it up a bit; can anyone post the latest price of fuel at Pier 19 (or anywhere else on the lake for that matter) ?

Pier 19 used to be one of the cheaper places to buy gas but not so sure anymore.

New Hampshire Lake Man 07-24-2017 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler (Post 282579)
Let's change it up a bit; can anyone post the latest price of fuel at Pier 19 (or anywhere else for that matter) ?

Pier 19 used to be one of the cheaper places to buy gas but not so sure anymore.

It's about $2.30 in central Mass.

noreast 07-24-2017 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Hampshire Lake Man (Post 282559)

You sound like a lot of fun, Lighten up Francis.

New Hampshire Lake Man 07-24-2017 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noreast (Post 282585)
You sound like a lot of fun, Lighten up Francis.

The name's Francis Soyer. But everybody calls me Psycho. Any of you guys call me Francis... and I'll kill ya.

TiltonBB 07-24-2017 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Hampshire Lake Man (Post 282563)

Wow! 14 posts and you have some snobby attitude towards the knowledge and experience of people boating on Winnipesaukee? Lose it, you are incorrect!

Many people on this lake have countless years of experience and many have ocean experience too. I boat on the ocean in Florida 6 months a year and the ocean boaters are no different than those on the lake. Some of them are a lot less courteous than most people on Winnipesaukee too.

Between 4 different boats and a commercial operation on Winnipesaukee I boat over 500 hours per year. I have been on Winnipesaukee every summer since 1970 and boated on the Cape including the Vineyard and Nantucket and in the Boston area, since 1978.

If you need some lessons, stop by.

New Hampshire Lake Man 07-24-2017 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 282589)
Wow! 14 posts and you have some snobby attitude towards the knowledge and experience of people boating on Winnipesaukee? Lose it, you are incorrect!

Many people on this lake have countless years of experience and many have ocean experience too. I boat on the ocean in Florida 6 months a year and the ocean boaters are no different than those on the lake. Some of them are a lot less courteous than most people on Winnipesaukee too.

Between 4 different boats and a commercial operation on Winnipesaukee I boat over 500 hours per year. I have been on Winnipesaukee every summer since 1970 and boated on the Cape including the Vineyard and Nantucket and in the Boston area, since 1978.

If you need some lessons, stop by.

I didn't mean to upset you buddy! For the record, I have spent every summer at Winni since 1928 and have posted thousands of messages to this forum under my real name, Hinckley Herreshoff. When I am not at Winni I live aboard one of my several vessels that I keep in Maine, the Bahamas, and Seattle and serve as a volunteer coach for the Americas Cup team. So, you know...

thinkxingu 07-24-2017 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Hampshire Lake Man (Post 282594)
I didn't mean to upset you buddy! For the record, I have spent every summer at Winni since 1928 and have posted thousands of messages to this forum under my real name, Hinckley Herreshoff. When I am not at Winni I live aboard one of my several vessels that I keep in Maine, the Bahamas, and Seattle and serve as a volunteer coach for the Americas Cup team. So, you know...

At a minimum of 89, you've gotta be the oldest contributing member here--bravo!

Still lame to call someone out on their terminology, though--sorry, captain.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

New Hampshire Lake Man 07-24-2017 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 282596)
At a minimum of 89, you've gotta be the oldest contributing member here--bravo!

Still lame to call someone out on their terminology, though--sorry, captain.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

I accept your apology but just want to state for the record that my point is not about using incorrect terminology but rather in doing so while chastising others for their insufficient boating skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

winni83 07-24-2017 07:27 PM

Quote:

Francis. Are you related to Acrossamerica? Seems you have the same inflated ego gene. Hinckley H. seems to have gone missing.

Doobs41378 07-24-2017 08:22 PM

Quote:

Holy old :eek:

Lakeboater 07-24-2017 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler (Post 282579)
Let's change it up a bit; can anyone post the latest price of fuel at Pier 19 (or anywhere else on the lake for that matter) ?

winnigas.com

Dave R 07-25-2017 07:02 AM

Quote:

You are clearly a troll, but that's an awesome fake name you picked. Waiting for a "frozen snot" reference next.:D

New Hampshire Lake Man 07-25-2017 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave R (Post 282616)
You are clearly a troll, but that's an awesome fake name you picked. Waiting for a "frozen snot" reference next.:D

Having unpopular opinions, expressing them, defending them, and matching absurdity with absurdity does not a troll make. But thanks on the name. Best, HH

Descant 07-25-2017 08:31 AM

Useless information

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Hampshire Lake Man (Post 282584)
It's about $2.30 in central Mass.

Huh? OK, OK. I get it, now. I burn diesel, so I rarely take my boat to central Mass.

My dog has one blue eye.

Biggd 07-25-2017 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 282622)
Huh? OK, OK. I get it, now. I burn diesel, so I rarely take my boat to central Mass.

My dog has one blue eye.

You mean you haven't boated over to the Conn river out to the Atlantic from lake Winni? :eek:

My dog has the other blue eye. I think they were switched at birth.

Dave R 07-25-2017 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Hampshire Lake Man (Post 282618)
Having unpopular opinions, expressing them, defending them, and matching absurdity with absurdity does not a troll make. But thanks on the name. Best, HH

Seemed like you were trying elicit a reaction. Sorry if I misread your motives.