Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Diving Winnipesaukee (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Rum Point (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8687)

scubajay1153 10-05-2009 08:23 AM

Rum Point

I've made a handful of dives from the shore of Rum Point this summer and having found one block of quartz/mica looking rock and a bunch of chips that appear to be scattered by divers I can't find any other traces of "walls of quartz" or any real walls for that matter. Any ideas as to where they are from a shore entry point? Been as deep as 75 feet and found what appeared to be wooden barrel tops and what I think was a decent sized cusk (we scared the bejeezuz out of each other)....

Grant 10-05-2009 02:02 PM

And still no sign of that load of bootleg booze that reportedly went down...

Winnipesaukee Divers 10-05-2009 06:44 PM

It's not where think it would be...

From where I have found old clay bottles and other artifacts, it quite some distances form the actual point. Keep looking, when you find the old army truck with the load of logs still chained on start searching in the mud and you'll find lots of cay bottles. Make that "fragments" of old bottles, if you're lucky you'll find some with the King's tax stamp still embossed (it's a crown over the date 1794) on it.

I have found several of them fully intact but can't seem to get any of them to the surface before they explode due to the pressure change and air built up within the clay.

From the point on the map, head towards ship island about a half mile out in 60-65 feet. Rum point is a rather large stretch of shore line start at the western most point almost to Minge Cove entrance.

Grant 10-06-2009 08:53 AM

You've found the logging truck? I'd love to dive that. Thanks for the heads up.

Diver1111 10-06-2009 05:00 PM

Logging truck

Excellent post Winni Divers re: the logging truck.

- Can you give us a ballpark idea where it is?;
- Did you dive it from a boat or shore?;
- Approx. depth?;
- What's left of it? Is it toast?;

I would love to try and bag it on side-scan with you sometime. Maybe Grant and Senter Cove Guy can join us.

Thanks.

Senter Cove Guy 10-06-2009 06:53 PM

I'm In!

Count me in for this search and dive.

Diver1111 10-08-2009 07:58 PM

Winni Divers-What point on the map?

Winni Divers,

What "point on the map" are you referencing?
Could you post the point on Winni.com for us?
That would be great.

Any help appreciated.

Rattlesnake Guy 10-08-2009 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winnipesaukee Divers (Post 108264)

I have found several of them fully intact but can't seem to get any of them to the surface before they explode due to the pressure change and air built up within the clay.

Not that you asked, but a suggestion to facilitate recovery.
If you take a pressure cooking pot and install a real needle valve in place of the standard weight type...
Bring the pot down with the lid off.
Place the clay in the pot.
Put some of your air in the cover.
Put the cover on the pot with the valve closed.
Bring the pot to the surface where the air in the pot will remain at the same high pressure it was at when the cover was installed. For example, at 10 meters you would capture about 30psi in the pot.
Now the hard part, slowly release the air pressure over the course of a few days? Not sure how long it would take to safely relieve the internal pressure of the clay.