Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   70 North Kitchen and Market (old Faro location) (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28509)

pondguy 12-22-2022 11:20 AM

70 North Kitchen and Market (old Faro location)

The new sign went up yesterday it's called, 70 North Kitchen and Market should be interesting to see what it's all about. Just found this https://www.70northnh.com/

Biggd 12-22-2022 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pondguy (Post 379722)
The new sign went up yesterday it's called, 70 North Kitchen and Market should be interesting to see what it's all about.

Probably banking on all those new Condo's in the area needing a closer place to buy groceries.

Mr. V 12-22-2022 02:34 PM

This is ... "different:" from their website:

"The Kitchen @ 70 North is not a traditional restaurant.

We don't take reservations or walk-ins. And you don't order off a menu.
But it is very easy to join us & see the menu by clicking RSVP.

It's more like a "Supper Club", in every sense of the word, from ancient Rome to the midwestern Supper Club culture to the recent indie foodie scene. But still uniquely New Hampshire.

We are thrilled to plan, prepare, & serve you a memorable meal! To do so, we need appropriate lead time to select the best ingredients, test & refine our menu, prepare our staff, and take are of all the details."

Biggd 12-22-2022 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. V (Post 379727)

It's more like a "Supper Club", in every sense of the word, from ancient Rome to the midwestern Supper Club culture to the recent indie foodie scene. But still uniquely New Hampshire.

We are thrilled to plan, prepare, & serve you a memorable meal! To do so, we need appropriate lead time to select the best ingredients, test & refine our menu, prepare our staff, and take are of all the details."

That leaves me out! :)

thinkxingu 12-22-2022 05:35 PM

Ummm...I'm confused.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

jbolty 12-22-2022 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 379730)
Ummm...I'm confused.

can't walk in, can't call ahead to reserve? Do they come to my house? Do they throw food at the cars driving by? Send it by mail?

confusion seems like a bad business model

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrlS9_n8GX4

TiltonBB 12-22-2022 06:17 PM

I though the same thing. It could be too sophisticated for me. I am not a fancy guy!

I did read this piece of good news on the website:
Elevated cuisine & inventive libations make 70 North both a destination & a favorite local spot.

Now that I know it is a favorite with the locals I will have to rethink my go-to places. Maybe I will see some friends there.

ITD 12-22-2022 07:01 PM

Sounds cool, I'm going to try it.

thinkxingu 12-22-2022 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITD (Post 379736)
Sounds cool, I'm going to try it.

You can't—they don't take reservations or walk-ins.

camp guy 12-22-2022 07:27 PM

70 North...

I got it...you call to say you want a meal...they develop and cook a very $$$$ meal...eat it for you ...then they call you back and tell you how much you enjoyed the meal, and, oh, don't forget to tip the server!

ITD 12-23-2022 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 379737)
You can't—they don't take reservations or walk-ins.

You have to click their "rsvp" button and find out how to get in. Not a big deal, I clicked it, but the like the descriptions in the website, the website design needs a little work.

I think you guys looking for an $8 all you can eat fisherman's plate might no like this place, but if the chef is as good as he claims, I'll give it a few tries.

thinkxingu 12-23-2022 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITD (Post 379744)
You have to click their "rsvp" button and find out how to get in. Not a big deal, I clicked it, but the like the descriptions in the website, the website design needs a little work.

I think you guys looking for an $8 all you can eat fisherman's plate might no like this place, but if the chef is as good as he claims, I'll give it a few tries.

How dare you? I'm willing to pay $30 (with soda and tip) for an AYCTE seafood experience!

But seriously, if this is as high-end as it appears, there's the real question of whether it can survive in the Lakes Region, no? Although the new place where Faro II was is killing it, that's a much smaller space.

tis 12-23-2022 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camp guy (Post 379738)
I got it...you call to say you want a meal...they develop and cook a very $$$$ meal...eat it for you ...then they call you back and tell you how much you enjoyed the meal, and, oh, don't forget to tip the server!

Strange. Maybe we're just not in the loop.:laugh:

Susie Cougar 12-23-2022 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 379745)
How dare you? I'm willing to pay $30 (with soda and tip) for an AYCTE seafood experience!

But seriously, if this is as high-end as it appears, there's the real question of whether it can survive in the Lakes Region, no? Although the new place where Faro II was is killing it, that's a much smaller space.

I’m afraid my memory is kind of vague, but maybe someone remembers.
There used to be a restaurant in Central Maine that served a very high end, expensive meal. So many people wanted to go, and they couldn’t accommodate everyone. I think they had some kind of a telephone calling or a lottery or something. People came from all over the country for the experience. She supposedly was a phenomenal chef.

Can anyone help me out?

TiltonBB 12-23-2022 09:06 AM

Quote:

That is what I thought. The right restaurant could get a lot of business from Mom, Pop, and the kids stopping by or walking up from their boat at the Weirs docks. It looks like this will be more formal than that. My initial impression is that this format would do well in Boston but Weirs Beach? Maybe not so much.

And remember, it's a long winter. Snowmobiles dropping in? Probably a no go there too.

But, let see how it goes and give them a chance.

ITD 12-23-2022 09:07 AM

Quote:

Lol, I think most restaurants have trouble surviving in this area due to a relatively sparse population. My attitude toward this is that if he is willing to give it a try, I will too. I'll reserve judgement on the pricing until I actually see it.

I've been here regularly 20 years now and have seen the restaurant quality steadily increase during that time. Hopefully this is another step in the right direction. Although I do agree that he could price himself out of the game up here if he's not careful.

jbolty 12-23-2022 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susie Cougar (Post 379748)
I’m afraid my memory is kind of vague, but maybe someone remembers.
There used to be a restaurant in Central Maine that served a very high end, expensive meal. So many people wanted to go, and they couldn’t accommodate everyone. I think they had some kind of a telephone calling or a lottery or something. People came from all over the country for the experience. She supposedly was a phenomenal chef.

Can anyone help me out?

this place maybe? Rockland ME

https://www.primorestaurant.com/

Susie Cougar 12-23-2022 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbolty (Post 379755)
this place maybe? Rockland ME

https://www.primorestaurant.com/

I found it.

It is called the Lost Kitchen in Freedom, Maine.

Newbiesaukee 12-23-2022 11:08 AM

To paraphrase Groucho Marx: I refuse to join any club that would let me in.

I hope the reality of the new restaurant is less confusing than the communication.

baygo 12-23-2022 12:21 PM

The last time I saw a tread like this in regards to a new restaurant concept coming to the neighborhood was back in 2010 and I was the topic. Most of us know how that worked out.

I am anxious to experience this culinary adventure.

I am also a little concerned about timing, but perhaps it’s well funded enough to weather the storm.

ITD 12-23-2022 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee (Post 379763)
To paraphrase Groucho Marx: I refuse to join any club that would let me in.

I hope the reality of the new restaurant is less confusing than the communication.

He's a chef, not an english major, that's the hope I'm running on.

Overlake97 12-23-2022 01:23 PM

Reservation by lottery

https://www.findthelostkitchen.com

https://yelp.to/4Of5W2R1Zvb

WinnisquamZ 12-23-2022 01:57 PM

Must be catering to the expectation of the million dollar condo residents across the street. Wonder how this all works with bike week and it’s 100 anniversary this summer

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Susie Cougar 12-23-2022 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overlake97 (Post 379771)

Thanks for the info! It sounds like it is still a lottery to get in and you have to accept whatever the menu is. Looks like they’re doing something right and they’re in the middle of nowhere.

It’s exciting to me that something of this caliber is coming to the Lakes Region. I can’t wait to hear everyone’s reviews.
I wish them good luck.

joey2665 12-23-2022 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 379772)
Must be catering to the expectation of the million dollar condo residents across the street. Wonder how this all works with bike week and it’s 100 anniversary this summer

More than likely close for the week and rent to vendors as usual

WinnisquamZ 12-23-2022 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 379774)
More than likely close for the week and rent to vendors as usual

Absolutely. Close the door and rent the parking lot out. Money maker

phoenix 12-23-2022 03:04 PM

plenty of time until i get up to the lake to consider. Hopefully some real observations after they open

Jeanzb1 12-30-2022 08:44 AM

Anyone know their target date of opening?

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

joey2665 12-30-2022 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanzb1 (Post 379989)
Anyone know their target date of opening?

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

https://www.70northnh.com/

Website says February

Loub52 12-30-2022 05:57 PM

Looking forward to their opening. Between the market and restaurant, it sounds like a good balance of offerings.

LongBay 12-31-2022 12:08 PM

Supper Club sounds Super Cool

I will definitely try it out. It sounds like they will have a market like Gusto's in Center Harbor. People will go if the food is good. I think the RSVP Supper Club concept sounds cool.

"A supper club is a traditional dining establishment that also functions as a social club. The term may describe different establishments depending on the region, but in general, supper clubs tend to present themselves as having a high-class image, even if the price is affordable to all."

Mr. V 12-31-2022 12:43 PM

It makes no sense, having a quasi-private supper club at the Weirs.

As perhaps the biggest tourist attraction in the lakes region, the Weirs has hordes of out of towners / day trippers, and most of them will be hungry.

"Hey, let's check this place out...huh? Online reservations are needed? Forget it, let's do McDonalds."

WinnisquamZ 12-31-2022 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. V (Post 379997)

As perhaps the biggest tourist attraction in the lakes region, the Weirs has hordes of out of towners / day trippers, and most of them will be hungry.

"Hey, let's check this place out...huh? Online reservations are needed? Forget it, let's do McDonalds."

Disagree. One place the locals can get away from the tourists. If it requires a small “club fee” to join we may give it a year. Those up for a week or two may not be willing to pony up the yearly fee

Biggd 12-31-2022 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 380001)
Disagree. One place the locals can get away from the tourists. If it requires a small “club fee” to join we may give it a year. Those up for a week or two may not be willing to pony up the yearly fee

If you're a local trying to avoid tourists I would think the Weirs is the last place you would go.

LongBay 12-31-2022 06:45 PM

Their website makes no mention of club fees etc. Before you all jump to conclusions and throw this place under the bus why don't you all do a little research what a supper club is or better yet go to their website and ask them.

WinnisquamZ 12-31-2022 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LongBay (Post 380011)
Their website makes no mention of club fees etc. Before you all jump to conclusions and throw this place under the bus why don't you all do a little research what a supper club is or better yet go to their website and ask them.

Why are you assuming they don’t have fees? If it’s ok for you to assume they don’t why isn’t it ok for me to assume they will? The website has little to any relevant information at this time. Let’s all speculate until it’s identified. Are you not entertained?
Also, why are you so angry on New Year’s Eve?

Descant 01-01-2023 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. V (Post 379997)

It's a generational thing. I'm scared of my cell phone, too, but my kids live by it and will make reservations, or check wait time, menus, specials, etc while we're cruising.

And, if McDonald's is your alternative, that's definitely a different generation.

LongBay 01-01-2023 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 380018)
Why are you assuming they don’t have fees? If it’s ok for you to assume they don’t why isn’t it ok for me to assume they will? The website has little to any relevant information at this time. Let’s all speculate until it’s identified. Are you not entertained?
Also, why are you so angry on New Year’s Eve?

No anger here...just saying folks should not jump to conclusions. The research I did on supper clubs appears to be in line with many other businesses that use the word "club" without charging you to belong. Go google "frequent flyers club" and you will see what I am talking about.

Descant 01-01-2023 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LongBay (Post 380022)
No anger here...just saying folks should not jump to conclusions. The research I did on supper clubs appears to be in line with many other businesses that use the word "club" without charging you to belong. Go google "frequent flyers club" and you will see what I am talking about.

I googled. As far as I can tell, you don't join any of those clubs without spending a lot of $$ first. Whatever 70 North is planning, they're getting some great, free, notoriety in these discussions, so I'd say they are good at their marketing. We'll all know in good time.
If you don't like 70 North, it appears the Lodge at Smith Point is for sale, turnkey. Make an offer and run it the way you like. I hope it is back open soon.

Biggd 01-01-2023 08:01 PM

There are plenty of options for dinner in the Lakes Region. It will be quite easy for me to avoid this one!

bellamaria 01-01-2023 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. V (Post 379727)

After visiting their website, I don’t see any of this information on there? I have been to “private” chef nights where you need to RSVP for limited seating, and maybe get to review the menu before going, and will admit they are fun...even if it costs a little extra cheese. Curious how this quote came to be?

Mr. V 01-01-2023 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bellamaria (Post 380028)
After visiting their website, I don’t see any of this information on there?

Interesting; it was there when I copied and pasted it, now it is gone.

bellamaria 01-02-2023 02:38 PM

The mystery continues... :)

phoenix 01-02-2023 03:19 PM

let's just chill out until we see when they open

TiltonBB 01-16-2023 09:27 PM

I am still not getting the whole concept. It will be interesting to see if it is a fit for the area.

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...8a01c7ddd.html

thinkxingu 01-17-2023 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 380439)
I am still not getting the whole concept. It will be interesting to see if it is a fit for the area.

It's totally gonna be elevated, though.

Biggd 01-17-2023 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 380439)

I hope it succeeds, I hate seeing empty buildings.
The restaurant doesn't seem like my cup of tea but I'm sure I will visit the marketplace.

ITD 01-17-2023 07:21 PM

Just got my first email from 70 north. Nothing earth shattering, but good to be in the know. No, I don't know them, nor am I affiliated with them.

joey2665 01-17-2023 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 380450)
I hope it succeeds, I hate seeing empty buildings.

The restaurant doesn't seem like my cup of tea but I'm sure I will visit the marketplace.

Sounds like the market will be similar to Gusto in Center Harbor.

LoveLakeLife 01-17-2023 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 380443)
It's totally gonna be elevated, though.

I was stumped by the elevated sandwich. Someone please help.