Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Getting Here (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Moultonborough to Wolfeboro shortcut (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7676)

twoplustwo 05-11-2009 11:33 AM

Moultonborough to Wolfeboro shortcut

Ok, someone told me not to take 109 when I go to Wolfeboro from M'Boro. They said "Take 171, then take a right, but I don't remember the name of the road..."

Anyone actually have some directions I won't get lost trying? He swears it cuts 10 minutes off the drive but couldn't remember the name of any of the roads.:confused:

SIKSUKR 05-11-2009 12:25 PM

You can take Pork Hill Rd to Rt 28 to Wolfboro.

ApS 05-11-2009 01:41 PM

ULTIMATE Shortcut is...

Quote:

Originally Posted by twoplustwo (Post 94506)
"...They said "Take 171, then take a right, but I don't remember the name of the road..."

I think they meant to take Ledge Hill Road (a steep downhill right turn before a 2-story yellow house and barn on the left) off 171 to 109A: that'll take you to the northeast side of Wolfeboro.

Quote:

Originally Posted by twoplustwo (Post 94506)
"...He swears it cuts 10 minutes off the drive but couldn't remember the name of any of the roads.:confused:

Maybe 10 minutes: it depends on how fast you drive when you think you've discovered a shortcut! :laugh:

Since Wolfeboro gets crowded after about 9AM, the time saved depends on when you leave and which end of Wolfeboro at which you want to arrive.

Routes 171-to-109A gets you to the northeast side of town (Sugar Hill/Wolfeboro Falls/Winnipesaukee Lumber).

Route 109 gets you to the northwest side of town (Wolfeboro Inn/Lakeview Inn/Dive Winnipesaukee).

(Forget the east side of Wolfeboro—you can't get there from Moultonborough). :emb:

The fastest shortcut—and I wish I this as a bumpersticker for tailgaters to read:

Leave Earlier!

(Especially important if you're launching a boat in Wolfeboro). :(:rolleye1:

secondcurve 05-11-2009 07:28 PM

Siskur:

That would work, but there are several stretches of dirt road going that way. I'd rather stay on Rte 109A.

Irrigation Guy 05-11-2009 07:47 PM

I'd say they are talking about Sodom Rd to 109A. I don't think it's a lot faster but you surely would miss a whole bunch of bumps by taking this route.

Lakepilot 05-12-2009 08:37 AM

I'd guess Sodom Rd also.

RPM 05-17-2009 12:55 PM

"You cant get theya from heya!"

camp guy 05-19-2009 01:14 PM

M-boro to W-boro s-cut

Clearly, this thread and the included posts proves that if you ask any number of people for directions between [I]any, any, two places[I], you will get a number of answers equal to the number of people, and probably more.

Therefore, I feel comfortable adding my two cents: The only way to satisfactorily get to Wolfeboro is to use Route 109, and then take any turns off of it you might need to get to where you are actually trying to get. Fooling around with Rt 109A, Rt 171, and all the rest of the suggestions will only take you to the boondocks, and, if you make a mistake "out there" you will be cooked trying to find you way back.

So, take Rt 109 and go from there.

twoplustwo 08-02-2009 02:52 PM

so I actually did it...

...I took 109 to 171 to Sodom Road to 109A to Waumbeck Rd to Main Street and got there just fine. Were I paying more attention to the time instead of the sights, I might have noticed if it took me any longer, but it was a nice drive, and certainly a smoother alternative to 109! I took the same route back home and it's really no faster, but the fewer cars made it far more attractive to me - I like to ramble along without anyone tailgating me!