Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Snowmobiling (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Snow? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15460)

dpassmore25 02-23-2013 07:18 PM

Snow?

Anyone in the Moultonborough know what the snow is doing? Snowing pretty hard here in mass and I'm considering coming up tonight to ride tomorrow.
Thoughts?

BroadHopper 02-23-2013 07:32 PM

Just a dusting

in Laconia.

SAB1 02-23-2013 07:48 PM

In Tuftonboro now. One and a half inches so far. Trails low are not great. Gotta get high

dpassmore25 02-23-2013 07:50 PM

mt. shaw

Anyone been around mt. Shaw lately?

tpabrad 02-23-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpassmore25 (Post 199688)
Anyone been around mt. Shaw lately?

I was up there the last two nights and it was great. Since its higher elevation the new snow should be great for it.

Belmont Resident 02-23-2013 08:40 PM

Fyi

We may not have much new snow on the ground by tomorrow morning. This storm is supposed to be a 24 hour storm and drop it in small increments. Total storm predictions for our area are anywhere from as little as 3 to as much as 9 inches, so in other words they do not know and we could wind up with a little or a lot. Warm daytime temps next week and possible rain means it won't last long either. :(
Worst winter I can remember for keeping snow on the ground.
Oh and about 1 inch in Belmont as of now.

NHWakesurfer 02-23-2013 09:12 PM

Its been snowing on and off all day. Maybe two inches of heavy snow so far. I didn't venture out on the trails in Moultonborough neck they looked very thin. The parts of the lake I was on today wasn't to bad for riding around (lots of spots with no snow just ice) on but you have to be careful with the visibility with the snow coming down seeing the pressure ridges out there.

Good luck with the drive up

Belmont Resident 02-24-2013 05:51 AM

As of 5:45 not much snow

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHWakesurfer (Post 199694)
Its been snowing on and off all day. Maybe two inches of heavy snow so far. I didn't venture out on the trails in Moultonborough neck they looked very thin. The parts of the lake I was on today wasn't to bad for riding around (lots of spots with no snow just ice) on but you have to be careful with the visibility with the snow coming down seeing the pressure ridges out there.

Good luck with the drive up

Not a lot of change since I went to bed, maybe 2" of heavy wet snow here. Yes that is total so it snowed maybe 1/2 inch over night. I just looked at radar and it just doesn't look like we are going to get a whole lot, also the outside temp is 34 so I'm sure we are also getting melting as well. Temps on the high 30's tomorrow do not fair well for it staying around.
Update:it came down hard for about 1.5 hours and we are now up to 4", nothing happening now, it's coming in waves.

SAB1 02-24-2013 08:20 AM

4inches in Tuftonboro now. Heading out onto lake soon

upthesaukee 02-24-2013 10:11 AM

Alton Bay 10:00 AM

About a half mile out of Alton Bay beyond Sandy Point, and a half mile off the Lake above rte 11, I have 4.5 inches of heavy wet snow. The "D" trail detour goes right down my street past my house, and not a single snowmobile has gone by this morning. Still snowing pretty good, last look at the weather radar shows the snow is moving NE and the back edge is from around Keene to just west of New London and pts north from there.

ride well, ride safe, and wave going past my house.

Bear Island South 02-24-2013 10:29 AM

Snowed In

1 Attachment(s)
We stayed on the island last night, 4 inches of new snow as of now and more to come.

ishoot308 02-24-2013 10:39 AM

10" in Gilford

I don't know if I am in the snow belt or something but I just measured 10" of new snow in my driveway in Gilford and it's still coming down pretty good!

Dan

Belmont Resident 02-24-2013 10:52 AM

No you are correct.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 199706)
I don't know if I am in the snow belt or something but I just measured 10" of new snow in my driveway in Gilford and it's still coming down pretty good!

Dan

No your not Dan, I just finished my first round which includes a house on Liberty Hill and we have exactly 8" in Belmont. It has been coming down steady for the last few hours and it has been piling up. If this last till midnight like they project it will, we should have somewhere in the area of a foot or more. :D :D Can't put enough smiles in!!!

Slickcraft 02-24-2013 01:10 PM

As of noon we had 10" of the predicted 3 to 6 here on the hill side in West Alton, heavy stuff to plow and shovel. I presume that Mike Haddad will be by to remove the surplus.:rolleye2:

Lakegeezer 02-24-2013 01:15 PM

Slush

The snow didn't do any favors for lake riding, or even walking. There is a thick layer of slush under the new heavy snow - it probably pushed the ice down and up came the water. Snowmobiles need to go fast or get bogged down, and the slush will come up 6" on your boots in spots. There is not much traffic today, so the lake won't be packed down. Maybe it will get better as the new snow settles. There is still 15" of ice under the slush.

Belmont Resident 02-24-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slickcraft (Post 199711)
As of noon we had 10" of the predicted 3 to 6 here on the hill side in West Alton, heavy stuff to plow and shovel. I presume that Mike Haddad will be by to remove the surplus.:rolleye2:

10" here in Belmont as well as of 1pm. I'll take another 2 then I can charge for 2 storms. This is by far the hardest snow to plow yet. I waited until the 20+ storm was over and had an easier time of moving that then the 6-8 I was moving today.

PaugusBayFireFighter 02-24-2013 01:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like we'll end up with 10-12" of the wet heavy stuff in Laconia. The snow should end here within the hour.

Belmont Resident 02-24-2013 01:38 PM

Tuesday

This just popped up on my home page. Acuweather has 3-6 inches of snow Tuesday night.:D :D
Maybe they will have enough for the sled dog races next W/E.

dpassmore25 02-24-2013 01:52 PM

darn

Didn't make the trip last night. Now I am really wishing I did.

Belmont Resident 02-24-2013 02:22 PM

Well

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpassmore25 (Post 199716)
Didn't make the trip last night. Now I am really wishing I did.

From what they were predicting it really did not look all that good. The good news is that we may be in snow from Tuesday night right into the weekend, and then there are signs that we may be dealing with yet another storm for the weekend. Total speculation at this point but NECN is one of the more accurate ones out there.
I hope you get to ride soon. For what it is worth I'm waiting for a W/E without snow so that I can head north to Maine. Hopefully soon.

Slickcraft 02-24-2013 04:10 PM

Driveway

2 Attachment(s)
Upper 40% of our driveway today.

Then our snow removal gear in a March 2008 storm.

Belmont Resident 02-24-2013 07:37 PM

Nice

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slickcraft (Post 199719)
Upper 40% of our driveway today.

Then our snow removal gear in a March 2008 storm.

But if I had me one of those I'd have a snow blower on it.

SAB1 02-24-2013 07:57 PM

I started at 10am with3 or 4 inches of new snow on 20mile bay. We went over thru melvin bay and powerlines to lake wentworth and back. Then we went 19 mile bay thru woods to Tuftonboro general store all over mirror lake, winter harbor and Lang pond road area. It was phenomenal. By the time we quit at 3 there was 10 plus inches of new snow. Hope it lasts till next weekend. It's heavy we'r pack able stuff.

Belmont Resident 02-24-2013 08:16 PM

More on the way

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAB1 (Post 199723)
I started at 10am with3 or 4 inches of new snow on 20mile bay. We went over thru melvin bay and powerlines to lake wentworth and back. Then we went 19 mile bay thru woods to Tuftonboro general store all over mirror lake, winter harbor and Lang pond road area. It was phenomenal. By the time we quit at 3 there was 10 plus inches of new snow. Hope it lasts till next weekend. It's heavy we'r pack able stuff.

It looks like we may be in a stormy pattern. More snow Tuesday night into Wednesday.

Slickcraft 02-24-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belmont Resident (Post 199722)
But if I had me one of those I'd have a snow blower on it.

Thought about a 3pt hitch blower for the Deere, don't really want to give up the FEL for a front blower. The plow on the Dodge is still the quickest way to open up 650' of driveway.

upthesaukee 02-25-2013 12:22 PM

West side of Alton Bay

West side of Alton Bay just outside of Sandy Point, and a half mile off the lake: just over 7 inches of snow through late afternoon yesterday, and then just over 2 inches overnight, so total of 9+ inches.

RLW 02-25-2013 05:26 PM

Alton Mountain>12"

This morning on Alton Mountain we received in all >12", but it is going down fast with the warmth (Temp not sun). My drive is clear black top right now and 1/2 is dried off meaning not wet.:)

Belmont Resident 02-25-2013 07:06 PM

Good

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLW (Post 199758)
This morning on Alton Mountain we received in all >12", but it is going down fast with the warmth (Temp not sun). My drive is clear black top right now and 1/2 is dried off meaning not wet.:)

It will give us someplace to put the 6-12 we are getting Wednesday into Thursday.:D

PaugusBayFireFighter 02-25-2013 07:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Plenty of snow this morning in Laconia.

Dhuberty24 02-27-2013 12:01 PM

Snow

How much snow is up there. Just rain in Manchester now.

AC2717 02-27-2013 12:02 PM

PagBayFF
what does it look like up there on the Bay

PaugusBayFireFighter 02-27-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC2717 (Post 199867)
PagBayFF
what does it look like up there on the Bay

We've gotten off and on very wet snow here by Christmas Island. I'd say maybe a couple inches has fallen but has compacted into less than an inch. We are right on the edge of the rain/snow line. They laid some sand/salt down on the streets a couple hours ago. Unlike the last storm which had constant bands of heavy snow, this storm has patches of on and off light wet snow.

Merrymeeting 02-27-2013 12:24 PM

On/off in the Alton/New Durham area, and seems to switch back and forth from slush to wet snow. Also seems to be melting as fast as it falls. Not much on the ground and the roads are wet but clear.

Belmont Resident 02-27-2013 01:34 PM

Same here

On and off with zero accumulation. I've been calling around and it is the same in Gilmanton and Gilford, looks like a bust. The temp is fluctuating between 36 and 37.

AC2717 02-27-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter (Post 199868)
We've gotten off and on very wet snow here by Christmas Island. I'd say maybe a couple inches has fallen but has compacted into less than an inch. We are right on the edge of the rain/snow line. They laid some sand/salt down on the streets a couple hours ago. Unlike the last storm which had constant bands of heavy snow, this storm has patches of on and off light wet snow.

thank you Sir,
from what I am hearing down here and other sites I am looking at this afternooon into tomorrow is where the accumulation will come from
keep us updated
I am worried about my roof given the past amounts of heavy wet stuff and then this storm

HellRaZoR004 02-27-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC2717 (Post 199871)
thank you Sir,
from what I am hearing down here and other sites I am looking at this afternooon into tomorrow is where the accumulation will come from
keep us updated
I am worried about my roof given the past amounts of heavy wet stuff and then this storm

Are roofs that covered up there with snow right now? The blizzard we got blew all of it off, what didn't melted shortly after. The storm last week added some but a lot of it melted the past couple days.

Slickcraft 02-27-2013 02:18 PM

As of 2pm today we got 2" on the hill side in West Alton.

Last storm the prediction was 3 to 6" and we got 13". This storm the prediction is for 6 to 12" and it looks like we will end up with maybe 4". I guess you could say that "on average" the predictions are right on.:rolleye2:

Got some show off the roof yesterday, about 15" of heavy stuff.

Custom Homes For You 02-27-2013 03:27 PM

In Laconia it has been raining off and on. It seems to be snowing now but the ground is so warm it is not sticking yet. I would not waste a trip up here

Belmont Resident 02-27-2013 03:31 PM

yes

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 (Post 199872)
Are roofs that covered up there with snow right now? The blizzard we got blew all of it off, what didn't melted shortly after. The storm last week added some but a lot of it melted the past couple days.

I just cleared off a friends chicken coop. About 6-10 inches and each shovel full felt like it had a cinder block in it.
But the news media are as usual getting everyone in a frenzy over roofs and snow.
If you have a properly constructed house you will be fine unless you have a flat or slightly flat roof. Most homes with a steep pitch will have no problems at all.

ghfromaltonbay 02-27-2013 03:48 PM

Changeover in the last hour

I drove from Gilford to Alton around 2 pm and the roads were totally clear and we had only steady flurries. On the way back a little after 3 pm the snow and wind had increased considerably and Rte. 11 was snow covered and the traffic was going about 35 mph in the 55 mph zone. When I look out the window I can't see more than 100 feet. Looks like I'm in a snow globe. I guess the serious accumulation will be between now and tomorrow morning.

PaugusBayFireFighter 02-27-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC2717 (Post 199871)
thank you Sir,
keep us updated

I can tell you that around Paugus Bay we have had melting snow since the last storm ended. I have a shingled roof and even the side that doesn't get sun has less than 4" on it. The snow roofs on our property, with steeper slopes, had no snow on them as of last night. The snow has been in a pretty constant state of melting. Had the temps plummeted I would have worried about ice dams, but there's no chance of that with moderating temps above freezing. The foreseeable forecast has temps above freezing during the day with lows at night in the upper 20's. I wouldn't worry about your roof with the amount of melting that we'll see in the next few days. I haven't had to use my ice bubbler for 4 days!

RLW 02-27-2013 05:34 PM

Snow on your roof

http://i44.tinypic.com/1499wms.gif Custom Homes For You, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.:)

http://i54.tinypic.com/2e56yqf.gif

fatlazyless 02-27-2013 06:00 PM

Waterville Valley: judging what's accumulated on the parked cars all day here, it looks like it is two inches of fairly wet snow.......definately no big snowy deal what-so-ever, so far! The www.waterville.com says it is five inches but they must have their own way of measuring or something?

Belmont Resident 02-27-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 199893)
Waterville Valley: judging what's accumulated on the parked cars all day here, it looks like it is two inches of fairly wet snow.......definately no big snowy deal what-so-ever, so far! The www.waterville.com says it is five inches but they must have their own way of measuring or something?

Ha, ha ski areas and snowmobile reports seem to have the same problem with snow totals. I have heard this from a lot of people this year who have headed north expecting more then you got when they got there. :laugh:

fpartri497 02-28-2013 07:07 AM

storm of the century

what happened to Haddads storm of the century? we only got a dusting In concord

:D

Belmont Resident 02-28-2013 08:53 AM

Not much!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fpartri497 (Post 199911)
what happened to Haddads storm of the century? we only got a dusting In concord

:D

A whole lot of not much, but just enough to plow. Average was 3-4 inches in Belmont, Gilmanton & Gilford with maybe 2 in Laconia.

SAB1 02-28-2013 10:30 AM

Anybody know what the trails look like for the weekend?

sluggo 02-28-2013 12:30 PM

Upper elevations are good .... the bottom trails are really thin...Red hill and sandwich notch is ok ... not so great over to holderness by little squam. I rode over castle and the clouds and up to white lake. everything was great till i hit the tracks. North conway up twards twin got 10 inches yesterday so it must be pretty good up there. Berlin got 5 inches. I heard cole brook was in good shape and ash stream. Be carefull on the lakes watch for ridges , theres a lot of open water around them. Thats what i know... i am going for a ride latter before it all melts here... have fun :D

SAB1 02-28-2013 01:05 PM

Thanks for the update.

Belmont Resident 02-28-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAB1 (Post 199926)
Thanks for the update.

All the lake areas I have driven by look like pea soup slush. So lake riding may not be all that great. And it doesn't help that the temp is at 40 degrees.
Lots of melting going on. :(
I'm heading up to Jackman tonight with my son. They didn't get much but there is some good riding to be had in places. :D