Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Grass Seed (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27452)

54fighting 09-09-2021 01:53 PM

Grass Seed

I intend to put down grass seed over a large area. Most of the area has decent sun exposure but there is some shade. What type of grass seed should I use? I’m going to get a soil test but was wondering if there were any typical soil deficiencies.

Denny Crane 09-09-2021 02:36 PM

Whatever happend to Lawn Psycho?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54fighting (Post 361968)
I intend to put down grass seed over a large area. Most of the area has decent sun exposure but there is some shade. What type of grass seed should I use? I’m going to get a soil test but was wondering if there were any typical soil deficiencies.

Years ago approximately 2113 I was given an ultimatum to have a semblance of a lawn for my son's graduation. Knowing nothing except the typical 4 steps, I came across Lawn Psycho's postings for lawn care and followed them to a tee, and still do. He/She didn't believe in box store products, box store seed, rototilling to start from scratch, aerating, and plugging, among other things. I started with soil samples from the front and backyard which I mailed to UMASS for analysis and began from there. I use only products from SiteOne(formerly Lesco) and even though they only sell 50lb. bags the cost is reasonable and some applications I have to save half the bag for the next year. Lawn Psycho recommended purchasing seed from Seedsuperstore.com, not cheap, but high quality seed. Not sure if you can still search for those old threads but very informative.

TheTimeTraveler 09-09-2021 04:15 PM

Quote:

Use a "Sun and Shade" mixture. And if things continue this fall like in July then you won't need to do a lot of watering...... Should grow like a weed on it's own, but do be sure to at least keep the seeds moist until germination, and hopefully Mother Nature will take over for you.

John Mercier 09-09-2021 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denny Crane (Post 361974)
Years ago approximately 2113 I was given an ultimatum to have a semblance of a lawn for my son's graduation. Knowing nothing except the typical 4 steps, I came across Lawn Psycho's postings for lawn care and followed them to a tee, and still do. He/She didn't believe in box store products, box store seed, rototilling to start from scratch, aerating, and plugging, among other things. I started with soil samples from the front and backyard which I mailed to UMASS for analysis and began from there. I use only products from SiteOne(formerly Lesco) and even though they only sell 50lb. bags the cost is reasonable and some applications I have to save half the bag for the next year. Lawn Psycho recommended purchasing seed from Seedsuperstore.com, not cheap, but high quality seed. Not sure if you can still search for those old threads but very informative.

Home Depot list Lesco in 7lbs packages... https://www.homedepot.com/p/LESCO-7-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

John Mercier 09-09-2021 06:04 PM

Quote:

Varies. But pH tends to be the big culprit. Just not worth expending a lot of synthetic fertilizer if the soil isn't deficient in any of the major three, or only needs one. Starter fertilizer tends to go heavy on the phosphorus, but the major ''step programs'' really just lower the summer nitrogen as cool turfgrass goes dormant, and raises the potassium in the fall/winter formulations.