Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Getting Here (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Moultonborough Neck Road - Long Island (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26081)

Little Bear 07-21-2020 05:53 AM

Moultonborough Neck Road - Long Island

What brain surgeon thought it would be a good idea to pave Long Island Road from the Long Island Bridge to Harilla Landing in the middle of July during the day? Prime vacation week in an area saturated with vacationers, and these bozos have to cause a major traffic jam?

Ok, so there were signs posted in a couple of spots saying that the paving was going to start on July 20th, but to the best of my knowledge, that’s all the signs said. When I got to Harilla Landing at 9:00am yesterday, they were towing cars and trailers that were parked on the sides of the road. I feel bad for all those people that are out on the islands; when they come back to the mainland to leave, they’ll discover that their vehicle is gone. They’ll then have to leave their families, luggage and belongings in sweltering heat while they try to go recover their vehicles. And exactly how are these people supposed to get to where their car was towed? Nice public relations by the Moultonborough PD.

They couldn’t have waited until after Labor Day to do this, when few people are around? I believe this is a State road, so the blame probably goes to NH DOT.

VitaBene 07-21-2020 02:56 PM

Never a good time!

Not every project can happen in the limited good weather we have outside high season, too many projects, too little time.

They gave notice about towing cars. I know that one company towed 25 vehicles, not sure if there were more tow companies in the mix. The owner noted that he was under contract by the state, so I believe there will be no cost to the vehicle owner.

LIforrelaxin 07-22-2020 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Bear (Post 339450)
What brain surgeon thought it would be a good idea to pave Long Island Road from the Long Island Bridge to Harilla Landing in the middle of July during the day? Prime vacation week in an area saturated with vacationers, and these bozos have to cause a major traffic jam?

Ok, so there were signs posted in a couple of spots saying that the paving was going to start on July 20th, but to the best of my knowledge, that’s all the signs said. When I got to Harilla Landing at 9:00am yesterday, they were towing cars and trailers that were parked on the sides of the road. I feel bad for all those people that are out on the islands; when they come back to the mainland to leave, they’ll discover that their vehicle is gone. They’ll then have to leave their families, luggage and belongings in sweltering heat while they try to go recover their vehicles. And exactly how are these people supposed to get to where their car was towed? Nice public relations by the Moultonborough PD.

They couldn’t have waited until after Labor Day to do this, when few people are around? I believe this is a State road, so the blame probably goes to NH DOT.

Here is the thing, more the adequate notice was give that this work was going to be done. And if you spend much time down by Harrilla's you will note that there are almost always cars and trailers on the side of the road regardless of the time of year. It just is what it is.....

These types of projects don't get planned over night, and have to be done when contractors are available etc. The timing ends up being what it ends up being....

I saw the signs.... breathed deeply, and decided I just wouldn't worry about being at the camp this week.

Little Bear 07-22-2020 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin (Post 339555)
Here is the thing, more the adequate notice was give that this work was going to be done. And if you spend much time down by Harrilla's you will note that there are almost always cars and trailers on the side of the road regardless of the time of year. It just is what it is.....

These types of projects don't get planned over night, and have to be done when contractors are available etc. The timing ends up being what it ends up being....

I saw the signs.... breathed deeply, and decided I just wouldn't worry about being at the camp this week.

You're right - there are always cars and trailers parked on the sides of the road. But way more now than after Labor Day. I arrived at Harilla on Thursday afternoon, and there were no signs saying no parking. I went to Jo Jo's on Friday at 1:00pm, still no signs. When I came back to Harilla on Monday morning, there were tons of signs posted along the street saying no parking. I don't know when they put these up, but it was between Friday afternoon and Monday morning. What about the people that parked there prior to Friday afternoon when there were no signs? They got towed.

Again, I saw the big DOT electronic signs saying paving was starting on 7/20/20, but I don't recall seeing anything saying that there was no parking and cars would be towed. Honestly, no skin off my back because I park inside Harilla. Just seems like a lousy thing to do in the middle of vacation season.

jbolty 07-22-2020 02:47 PM

obviously not all jobs can fit between labor day and snow but it's not a stretch to assume government at any level fails at common sense. Blocking up a marina mid season could surely have been swapped with some other job elsewhere with some creative thinking but to some chair warmer in Concord, what's it to them?

What about the recent job at the Weirs bridge, that was a risky time to do that too. It was done on time but if it had run a little overtime and if it had been not the Covid year the results would have been anarchy.

ROADKING 07-22-2020 03:47 PM

Towing

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaBene (Post 339501)
Not every project can happen in the limited good weather we have outside high season, too many projects, too little time.

They gave notice about towing cars. I know that one company towed 25 vehicles, not sure if there were more tow companies in the mix. The owner noted that he was under contract by the state, so I believe there will be no cost to the vehicle owner.

Really it does not work that way the motor vehicle owners has to pay the tow company it;s 2020

VitaBene 07-22-2020 08:33 PM

Yes really

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROADKING (Post 339588)
Really it does not work that way the motor vehicle owners has to pay the tow company it;s 2020

I am well aware of the year. In most cases, perhaps, but in this case these cars were not parked illegally (though some had been there a long time). All I can tell you is what my friend who hooked 25 vehicles there said about payment.

TheTimeTraveler 07-31-2020 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaBene (Post 339607)
I am well aware of the year. In most cases, perhaps, but in this case these cars were not parked illegally (though some had been there a long time). All I can tell you is what my friend who hooked 25 vehicles there said about payment.

Well, if the State covered the costs of towing then it shows that our tax dollars are hard at work..... Let's raise the gas tax a little more, not.