Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Getting Here (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Getting here in reverse ! Gilford to Hilton Head (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25732)

bigdog 05-07-2020 07:05 PM

Getting here in reverse ! Gilford to Hilton Head

I need to make a business trip from lake Winnie to Hilton Head Island, SC.

I was planning to drive first day and make it to Richmond VA and stay over-nite there, I figure that's the mid-way point.

Looking for advice of the best routes between Laconia and Richmond,
after Richmond, it's all I-95.
Want to avoid as much construction and cities as possible.
I definitely want to avoid NYC and the Geo Wash. bridge !

So folks, please give me your best routes. I plan to travel first day on Saturday morning to avoid the Washington DC daily traffic, and return following Saturday.

Thanks as always, for your feed-back, much appreciated !

Not to Worry 05-07-2020 09:03 PM

No traffic

I drove through NYC at 8 AM. There was no traffic. Bet it is still the same.

Sue Doe-Nym 05-07-2020 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdog (Post 334231)
I need to make a business trip from lake Winnie to Hilton Head Island, SC.

I was planning to drive first day and make it to Richmond VA and stay over-nite there, I figure that's the mid-way point.

Looking for advice of the best routes between Laconia and Richmond,
after Richmond, it's all I-95.
Want to avoid as much construction and cities as possible.
I definitely want to avoid NYC and the Geo Wash. bridge !

So folks, please give me your best routes. I plan to travel first day on Saturday morning to avoid the Washington DC daily traffic, and return following Saturday.

Thanks as always, for your feed-back, much appreciated !

Would you consider flying into Savannah? Then rent a car for the 30 mile drive to Hilton Head. I have no clue what airlines fly into Savannah, but that would be much less stressful than that drive. Car rentals are cheap right now, too.

Resident 2B 05-07-2020 09:56 PM

I head for the Tappanzee Bridge using the Wilber cross highway in CT., cross the Hudson, pickup the Garden State Parkway and take it to the NJ Turnpike. Use the tunnels in Baltimore and go clockwise on the beltway around Washington, then on to Richmond. Timing may be equally as important as the route. Crossing the Tappanzee Bridge around 9:30 works best for me. Good luck!

R2B

BroadHopper 05-08-2020 06:30 AM

Road less traveled for the soul.

Usually head to I-81 to I-77 to get to that area. There is construction on 93, 91, and 95 so plan accordingly.

I personally like to take Rte 4 to Keene and pick up 91 in Brattleboro. Avoid the I-495 and Worcester bottleneck.

SAMIAM 05-08-2020 06:47 AM

We've tried every route imaginable over the years and avoid cities and tolls because I'm usually towing a boat.
Considering the shut down traffic shouldn't be bad passing through some cities so if it was me I'd take I-93 to rt3 to Nashua,495 to 90 (Mass Pike) 84 to Garden State Pkwy and then just stay on 95 south. Normally I wouldn't go near Baltimore and Washington because of the traffic but should be a breeze right now

VitaBene 05-08-2020 07:04 AM

Hi, I usually fly down every other week, but just drove down on Monday. The traffic was very light and even though I intended to use the 84/81 outer loop as opposed to 95 but the GPS kept pushing me to 95. I did not slow down even when I brushed NYC. I left at 5 AM made one stop for fuel and pulled into my hotel in Rock Hill SC at 845 PM that night. I have driven approx 700 miles this week around the Carolinas, I have not been in a traffic jam yet, even around Charlotte. Good luck on your trip.

smith point boater 05-08-2020 07:15 AM

Head west

Do what Broadhopper said. We took that route BACK from Florida. Wouldn't even think about going thru Ct, NY(city) or NJ. Probably added 2 hrs total to trip but way less stressful. We stayed at a Fairfield Inn (a Marriott property) in Salem, Va - checked in at 10pm and out by 7AM - saw no one but the clerk

8gv 05-08-2020 07:32 AM

The lure of getting right through the NE metro areas due to the diminished C19 traffic must be tempered with "what if's".

What if I have a car issue?

What if I need gas or a bio break?

What if I get into an accident?

The thought of having any of that happen so close to C19 hot spots has me taking the outer route.

93S
89N
9W
91S
84W
81S
And son on...

AC2717 05-08-2020 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Resident 2B (Post 334250)
I head for the Tappanzee Bridge using the Wilber cross highway in CT., cross the Hudson, pickup the Garden State Parkway and take it to the NJ Turnpike. Use the tunnels in Baltimore and go clockwise on the beltway around Washington, then on to Richmond. Timing may be equally as important as the route. Crossing the Tappanzee Bridge around 9:30 works best for me. Good luck!

R2B

that's the way I always go
Mass Pike to 84 to 284 to 684 Tappan Zee Bridge
Garden state parkway to Jersey Turnpike
then the tunnels, eastern side of the beltway (only difference here is depending on time of day i sometimes shoot the gut)

living right near 495 belt in MA i usually leave at 9:30ish at night or later, sun coming up before and after passing the Philip Morris Factory

bigdog 05-08-2020 07:46 AM

Sue Doe-Nym,

I have done just as you've said several times before, however, this trip I am driving my truck 'loaded' with goods to take to Hilton Head.
I'd ship things down, but just too much to go.......

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym (Post 334248)
Would you consider flying into Savannah? Then rent a car for the 30 mile drive to Hilton Head. I have no clue what airlines fly into Savannah, but that would be much less stressful than that drive. Car rentals are cheap right now, too.

ishoot308 05-08-2020 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC2717 (Post 334269)
that's the way I always go
Mass Pike to 84 to 284 to 684 Tappan Zee Bridge
Garden state parkway to Jersey Turnpike
then the tunnels, eastern side of the beltway (only difference here is depending on time of day i sometimes shoot the gut)

living right near 495 belt in MA i usually leave at 9:30ish at night or later, sun coming up before and after passing the Philip Morris Factory

^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^

After many years of traveling from NH to Quantico, VA and trying every different route, this was always the fastest.

As far as getting through DC,...after almost three decades of doing work in the district, the trick was always to time your travel to go through / around the city between 10:00 AM and 2:00 PM. Stay off the BWI parkway no matter what and use the the 95 to 495 beltway to go around the city...

Dan

thebix 05-08-2020 11:28 AM

Eastern Shore route

For most of the 17 years I lived in Richmond, VA and traveled back to the Boston area to visit family, I preferred the Eastern Shore route to avoid Baltimore city and the DC Beltway. After the Delaware Memorial Bridge, I take the exit to Rt 13 (the Eastern Shore highway) toward New Castle, DE. Well into the Eastern Shore I pick up Rt 301 and follow it through Annapolis, MD (it is also Rt 50 there), onto Rt 207 in Bowling Green,VA to I95 just north of Richmond. It may be longer/slower than the I95 all interstate, but it is a pleasant country drive with a lot less stress and fast speeding traffic and trucks. It is mostly 4 lane divided highway, but with some short stretches in small towns by the shopping centers and some traffic lights. Much lower blood pressure than the Beltway!

bigdog 05-08-2020 11:38 AM

8gv....

If I follow your instructions, and take 84W, where exactly do I pickup 81S ?

And at what point do I cross the Hudson ? Tarrytown over the Tapanzee bridge ?

Thanks,
BD

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8gv (Post 334268)
The lure of getting right through the NE metro areas due to the diminished C19 traffic must be tempered with "what if's".

The thought of having any of that happen so close to C19 hot spots has me taking the outer route.

93S
89N
9W
91S
84W
81S
And son on...

8Gv....

Resident 2B 05-08-2020 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdog (Post 334300)
8gv....

And at what point do I cross the Hudson ? Tarrytown over the Tapanzee bridge ?

Thanks,
BD

8Gv....

If you take this route, I84 intersects I81 near Scranton, PA. This is an alternative route I take when traffic is busy. Nice drive.

8gv 05-08-2020 12:32 PM

As Resident above states, Scranton PA.

Here's my unsolicited tip for forcing an unsophisticated, old school gps to play ball your way:

1) Have a piece of paper with the big picture route directions. For example: "84W to SCRANTON, then 81S"

2) Enter each intersection city on the gps and save them as waypoints.

3) Create a trip list for easy access to these waypoints.

4) Start your trip with the gps guiding you to your first waypoint city.

5) When about 10 miles out, change to the next city.

6) Repeat until you arrive at your destination.

(Those who use smart phone navigation apps can start laughing now.)

granitebox 05-08-2020 12:38 PM

Another benefit of the 84W to 81S to 77S route - which is the route I take, is you do skim through NJ and at Port Jervis exit on 84 is full service fuel which might make the trip a little simpler if that is an issue for you.

Once you hit 81 its simple but long rolling highway through the Shenandoah Valley -

Susie Cougar 05-08-2020 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebix (Post 334297)
For most of the 17 years I lived in Richmond, VA and traveled back to the Boston area to visit family, I preferred the Eastern Shore route to avoid Baltimore city and the DC Beltway. After the Delaware Memorial Bridge, I take the exit to Rt 13 (the Eastern Shore highway) toward New Castle, DE. Well into the Eastern Shore I pick up Rt 301 and follow it through Annapolis, MD (it is also Rt 50 there), onto Rt 207 in Bowling Green,VA to I95 just north of Richmond. It may be longer/slower than the I95 all interstate, but it is a pleasant country drive with a lot less stress and fast speeding traffic and trucks. It is mostly 4 lane divided highway, but with some short stretches in small towns by the shopping centers and some traffic lights. Much lower blood pressure than the Beltway!

Yes, I agree that this is a wonderful little secret that not many people know about. It’s been a while since I was there, but don’t you take the exit toward Middletown, south, and pick up 301 as it crosses the border into Maryland there? You would not have to go into New Castle and I’m assuming down route 9?

Lil' Barndoor Guy 05-08-2020 01:36 PM

Hey everyone! It's the Mario Cuomo Bridge, not the Tappan Zee. Andrew named it after his father so when his brother, Fredo becomes governor, he'll rename the George Washington Bridge after him.

Susie Cougar 05-08-2020 01:41 PM

Also, I wanted to add that anyone traveling from the north down to DC can also get off in Delaware and take this beautiful scenic route and avoid Baltimore City and come over on the Bay Bridge and continue on to Washington. When we lived in Middletown, Delaware, we used to visit my daughter at college in DC and we always took this route. It’s absolutely beautiful.

MDoug 05-09-2020 05:04 AM

Best Route

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susie Cougar (Post 334320)
Also, I wanted to add that anyone traveling from the north down to DC can also get off in Delaware and take this beautiful scenic route and avoid Baltimore City and come over on the Bay Bridge and continue on to Washington. When we lived in Middletown, Delaware, we used to visit my daughter at college in DC and we always took this route. It’s absolutely beautiful.

A great alternative! May be slower, but at least you can stop for a sandwich and relax.

rhubarbpie 05-17-2020 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 334277)
^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^

After many years of traveling from NH to Quantico, VA and trying every different route, this was always the fastest.

As far as getting through DC,...after almost three decades of doing work in the district, the trick was always to time your travel to go through / around the city between 10:00 AM and 2:00 PM. Stay off the BWI parkway no matter what and use the the 95 to 495 beltway to go around the city...

Dan

Coming late to reply, but the entire DC area is under shelter-in-place orders. There isn't a lick of traffic at any time of day right now, unless there is a major accident.

bigdog 05-31-2020 04:47 PM

Follow-up, and would like updates on travel route

Follow-up, and would like updates on best travel route.
I plan to leave NH for Hilton Head SC in two weeks.

All have given many good options, I definitely want to avoid CT if I can,
however, getting to the Tappan Zee bridge that seems like the only course, going through CT ?

I would like go over the Hudson River over the Titonic bridge in Newburgh NY,
but getting there seems like a long haul. The only way I see to get there would be to go through CT via Hartford ? How does one get to I84W without going through CT ?

Several have suggested picking up 81S near Scranton-Wilkes Barre PA.
This route seems like youÂ’re going wayyyyy West out of the way ?
If I took this route, would you suggest picking up 83S in Harrisburg PA and drop down just North of Baltimore ?

Last, since many states are still in semi lock-down b/c on Covit-19, is traffic through major cities still light ? Is it still advisable to steer away from NJ Turnpike and I95, between NH and Maryland ?

Also, any updates on construction along routes would be greatly appreciated !

Sue Doe-Nym 05-31-2020 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdog (Post 335898)
Follow-up, and would like updates on best travel route.
I plan to leave NH for Hilton Head SC in two weeks.

All have given many good options, I definitely want to avoid CT if I can,
however, getting to the Tappan Zee bridge that seems like the only course, going through CT ?

I would like go over the Hudson River over the Titonic bridge in Newburgh NY,
but getting there seems like a long haul. The only way I see to get there would be to go through CT via Hartford ? How does one get to I84W without going through CT ?

Several have suggested picking up 81S near Scranton-Wilkes Barre PA.
This route seems like youÂ’re going wayyyyy West out of the way ?
If I took this route, would you suggest picking up 83S in Harrisburg PA and drop down just North of Baltimore ?

Last, since many states are still in semi lock-down b/c on Covit-19, is traffic through major cities still light ? Is it still advisable to steer away from NJ Turnpike and I95, between NH and Maryland ?

Also, any updates on construction along routes would be greatly appreciated !

One way to avoid CT is to take MA TP to NY Thruway to NJ. CT is bad, but is it that bad? We’ll be seeing our granddaughter tomorrow, and she just drove back from the Outer Banks, so maybe she can enlighten us on traffic in the dreaded Boston through DC areas. Will share if it seems helpful.

smith point boater 06-01-2020 06:38 AM

Spend the extra time

I will repeat to follow the routes in post #5 (and #9). Yes it takes you west a little more and will add 1 1/2 - 2 hrs to the trip but its a nice ride thru Vt and Troy/Albany, NY and Pa. It takes out Ct, NY City and upper NJ entirely. Yes there is construction (probably no matter what route you take) but we never had any traffic back ups or problems. FYI - We were going south to north

Good luck

bigdog 06-01-2020 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smith point boater (Post 335947)
I will repeat to follow the routes in post #5 (and #9). Yes it takes you west a little more and will add 1 1/2 - 2 hrs to the trip but its a nice ride thru Vt and Troy/Albany, NY and Pa. It takes out Ct, NY City and upper NJ entirely. Yes there is construction (probably no matter what route you take) but we never had any traffic back ups or problems. FYI - We were going south to north

Good luck

Will follow your advice to de-stress and avoid all/any I95 traffic between NH and DC..

93S
89N
9W
91S to Hartford CT
84W
81S
And son on...

Altering my first night's stay-over to Fredricksburg VA rather than Richmond VA, just after getting around DC. Stopping in Fredricksburg will shorten the ride by an hour, and my wife will appreciate the decision by that time ! :)

That said, from 81S, I was thinking of taking I70/270 East in Hagerstown, down to Rockville Maryland, the the DC Beltway and pickup 95S at that junction.
This will place me just above Fredricksburg :)

84W through Hartford, Waterbury, Danbury is not fun, always a lot of construction, but that's the norm !

Thoughts ?

Pineedles 06-01-2020 03:45 PM

It’s 4:30 Pm and I am looking at google traffic maps and there is not one area of red(backups) from winni to Scranton. The shortest route is 93s to 3s to 495 to 270 to mass pike to 84 to Scranton.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Pineedles 06-01-2020 05:17 PM

It’s now 6pm and protesters have shut down 84 E&W in Hartford. So much for traffic free. Basically, if this goes on for a couple hours the State will be totally shut down at its borders.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

bigdog 06-13-2020 03:00 PM

Need Route and travel update ASAP

Hi Folks,

I'm off on my trip to Hilton Head SC, and wanted more recent updates from anyone.

I know the route previously described taking I81 is more scenic and probably less stressful, but adds another 2+ hours to the trip, at least to my first overnight stop in Richmond VA. Wife doesn't travel well, so first day, I have to limit trip to 8-9 hours.

That said, I'm going to take I84W across the Tapanzee bridge, pickup the Garden State Parkway, then 95S thru Philly, Baltimore, and DC.

I'll be leaving Gilford Monday 6/15, around 5:00AM, so would like any recent updates about Construction, delays, etc.along the route I've described.

ApS 06-13-2020 08:33 PM

Almost Stress-Free...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdog (Post 336681)
Hi Folks,

I'm off on my trip to Hilton Head SC, and wanted more recent updates from anyone.

I know the route previously described taking I81 is more scenic and probably less stressful, but adds another 2+ hours to the trip, at least to my first overnight stop in Richmond VA. Wife doesn't travel well, so first day, I have to limit trip to 8-9 hours.

That said, I'm going to take I84W across the Tapanzee bridge, pickup the Garden State Parkway, then 95S thru Philly, Baltimore, and DC.

I'll be leaving Gilford Monday 6/15, around 5:00AM, so would like any recent updates about Construction, delays, etc.along the route I've described.

Southbound, it's an easy first day to drive to Wilkes--Barre for an overnight.

I-81 is a peaceful drive to a second stop, Columbia, SC. (But not sure how that gets you to Hilton Head, SC).

Having taken that route NB last week, I can say that traffic was light/moderate, with the only holdup being for rubber-neckers at a traffic stop. :rolleye2: This even includes I-84!

Scranton is still "under construction" (for the last 20 years).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pineedles (Post 336037)
It’s now 6pm and protesters have shut down 84 E&W in Hartford. So much for traffic free. Basically, if this goes on for a couple hours the State will be totally shut down at its borders.

But it was a "peaceful" protest--right? :rolleye2:

bigdog 06-17-2023 09:45 AM

Heading back to Bluffton SC

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8gv (Post 334268)

93S
89N
9W
91S
84W
81S
And son on...

Heading back to Bluffton SC, but this time towing myRV trailer.
Going to follow 84W then 81S then I95 in Richmond.

I only wish to drive no more than 8 hrs each day, and think I can cover 400 miles each day, making this a 2 1/2 day trip.

This said, looking at stop-over points with trailer. May stop at Walmart parking lot first night, or RV camping spots along the route ?

Looking for suggestions ?

BroadHopper 06-17-2023 10:07 AM

Avoid I95 North of Richmond. Lots of construction as well as traffic. I95 South of Richmond should be fine. This is as of May 1. driving from FL to NH.

With an RV. Why not take I95 to I77, then do a little camping on the Blue Ridge Parkway? If not, I77 will take you to I81. Take I84 to I91, NH-9 home.