Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   History (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Steamships of old (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26050)

Lake Winni Wake fest 07-13-2020 07:07 PM

Steamships of old

Does anyone have any photos of the steamship era on Winnipesaukee? I believe it was back in the 1800s when these beautiful ships roamed the lake. I remember when I was younger seeing photos not just of the mount Washington but other “working” vessels used to transport supplies and complete other tasks on the lake. I wonder what the names of these steamships were and where I could see them.

webmaster 07-13-2020 07:26 PM

You might like posts like this one and threads like this one. You can find more by searching the forums and Photopost Gallery.

Lake Winni Wake fest 07-13-2020 08:18 PM

Thanks. Some pretty cool stuff.

Diver1111 09-01-2020 05:48 PM

Re: Steamer James Bell

1 Attachment(s)
Attached is a pdf of a page from "Three Centuries on Winnipesaukee" one of my favorite reads.

The Bell ended up in Paugus as the page explains. Sorry you may have to rotate the image.

Descant 09-01-2020 10:21 PM

What page?

The link was scattered all over the place. What page in the book? I'll look it up when I get to camp.

Senter Cove Guy 09-02-2020 05:21 AM

What Page?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 342845)
The link was scattered all over the place. What page in the book? I'll look it up when I get to camp.

Looks like page 43.

thinkxingu 09-06-2020 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 343057)
This never happened. Obviously printed before the fire. A little false advertising here. I don't think the mount "sailed" anywhere

https://i.imgur.com/4cTkxzm.png

That ad mentions "six mountain ranges." What are they? I know the Ossipee, Sandwich, and Belknap ranges, but what are the other three? Could be Presidential (can see Washington from spots), but what else?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Barney Bear 09-06-2020 11:09 PM

Plus Two

Sandwich Range and the Presidential Range. ��

TheTimeTraveler 09-06-2020 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 343081)
That ad mentions "six mountain ranges." What are they? I know the Ossipee, Sandwich, and Belknap ranges, but what are the other three? Could be Presidential (can see Washington from spots), but what else?

I never realized there was a daily flag stop on Bear Island back then!

thinkxingu 09-07-2020 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 343084)

I get that, but it says "see six ranges." What six can be seen? I know Sandwich, Belknap, Ossipee, and, if counting Washington, The Presidentials. What are the other two mountain ranges that can be seen from Winni? Or is that, too, just hype.

WJT2 09-07-2020 07:14 AM

Belknap, Sandwich, Squam, Ossipee, Presidential Ranges. I did not know there were 6. I don't know the sixth, unless White Mountain range counted as #6. I always thought Presidential Range was a part of the White Mountains. I know the Mt Washington Cruise ship has a story telling but I think it says "5 ranges can be seen from the Lake. Only place in the world you can see 5 Ranges from one spot" I could be wrong but I doubt it.

thinkxingu 09-07-2020 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WJT2 (Post 343096)
Belknap, Sandwich, Squam, Ossipee, Presidential Ranges. I did not know there were 6. I don't know the sixth, unless White Mountain range counted as #6. I always thought Presidential Range was a part of the White Mountains. I know the Mt Washington Cruise ship has a story telling but I think it says "5 ranges can be seen from the Lake. Only place in the world you can see 5 Ranges from one spot" I could be wrong but I doubt it.

Ah, yes! Squam Range—good catch. I can actually see Israel from my camp—can't believe I missed that (it's not on the page Top-Water linked to above).

So, Sandwich, Squam, Belknap, Ossipee, and maybe White + Presidentials separately.