Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Weather (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   500-year snow storm!!! (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27736)

fatlazyless 01-29-2022 08:34 AM

500-year snow storm!!!

Is blowing snow windy sideways ...... is 15-degrees cold ..... 500-year historic snow storm is begun with Jim Cantore ..... live ..... from Boston, Massachusetts! ..... eek ..... :eek2:! ...... so's it must be a 500-year big deep SNOW!!!

Hope he has the good sense to wear an N95 mask while outdoors in the snow storm to stay safe from the virus as it blows around with the winds. ..... :D

Say hey ....... if the virus don't get you, the big snow will get you ...... if that don't get you then some loser will smack you from behind with a big honking pick-up truck thats driving too danged fast.

Seems like a good day to stay home and clean the inside shelves of the refrigerator or something. ......:cheers:

8gv 01-29-2022 10:35 AM

Here in Laconia at 10:35 am I can count the flakes.

They are few.

fatlazyless 01-29-2022 10:51 AM

.... have been out there, doing the driveway with my 15-year old Ariens for the last hour, getting an advance start on the coming deep SNOW! ... :laugh:

Ariens is 'The King of Snow'.

So, what's the difference between a snow-blower and a snow-thrower?

Woody38 01-29-2022 01:19 PM

King of Snow

That would be my John Deere with a 44 inch blower that throws snow 50 feet.
Fortunately, I do not do that these days since we are in California and someone with a pickup is doing the plowing.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic

mswlogo 01-29-2022 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8gv (Post 366693)
Here in Laconia at 10:35 am I can count the flakes.

They are few.

I don’t watch the news for weather.
I use weather underground.
Which forecasted 4” by midnight at NewFound lake.
Looks like it will be right. Couple inches now.

Forecast was 16” down in MA (it was 24” at one point)
It’s really hard to tell with the wind and drifts what we have.
But I suspect we’ll end up with 12”

The forecasters did warn this storm would be very hard to forecast accumulations.
Narrow band of heavy snow.
It changed up and down by feet all week. But it never went over 14” forecast at the lake and it sat at around 6” for most of the week.

They called it a “cyclone bomb”.

Wind, frozen lake and dry snow. Even an inch can create some large drifts from it blowing off the lake for weeks.

Cape is getting hammered. 80 mph gusts and over 100K without power.
It could have gone more north. But it didn’t.

gillygirl 01-29-2022 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswlogo (Post 366705)
I don’t watch the news for weather.
I use weather underground.
Which forecasted 4” by midnight at NewFound lake.
Looks like it will be right. Couple inches now.

Forecast was 16” down in MA (it was 24” at one point)
It’s really hard to tell with the wind and drifts what we have.
But I suspect we’ll end up with 12”

The forecasters did warn this storm would be very hard to forecast accumulations.
Narrow band of heavy snow.
It changed up and down by feet all week. But it never went over 14” forecast at the lake and it sat at around 6” for most of the week.

They called it a “cyclone bomb”.

Wind, frozen lake and dry snow. Even an inch can create some large drifts from it blowing off the lake for weeks.

Cape is getting hammered. 80 mph gusts and over 100K without power.
It could have gone more north. But it didn’t.

Certainly verified bombogenesis. Definition is 24 mb drop in central pressure over 24 hours. It had dropped 35 in 18.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

fatlazyless 01-29-2022 09:52 PM

www.skinh.com/conditions shows the very small amounts of snow received by different New Hampshire ski areas in this Saturday, January 29 snow storm.

Attitash got zero snow.

Waterville Valley got one inch snow on Saturday, January 29.

Gunstock, formerly the Belknap Mountain Recreation Area, got 2-4" snow is what it says. Does this seem to be correct?

Loon got zero snow.

Sunapee got one inch snow.

Bretton Woods got zero snow.

Cannon Mt., owned and operated by the State of N.H., say it get five inches of new snow which seem highly suspicious! ... :eek2:

Wildcat got zero inches snow.

trfour 01-30-2022 12:38 AM

It Snowed!!

Blizzard confirmed in parts of New Hampshire as nor'easter pulls away.

https://www.wmur.com/article/new-ham...2022/38930248#

smith point boater 01-30-2022 07:16 AM

No snow

No snow here in SWFL - but it is 34 with a real feel of 31 - will have to dress up for my round of golf this AM!!:cool:

WinnisquamZ 01-30-2022 08:40 AM

Big nothing burger here in Laconia. Should be a good evening of football once the shoveling is done

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

DickR 01-30-2022 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 366717)

Waterville Valley got one inch snow on Saturday, January 29.

Gunstock, formerly the Belknap Mountain Recreation Area, got 2-4" snow is what it says. Does this seem to be correct?

Loon got zero snow....

Loon and Waterville websites both claim 3". Gunstock claims 8" with a lot of wind. I wonder how much stayed on the trails vs blown into the woods.

mswlogo 01-30-2022 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gillygirl (Post 366714)
Certainly verified bombogenesis. Definition is 24 mb drop in central pressure over 24 hours. It had dropped 35 in 18.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I think we ended up with shy of 16" (east of Worcester).

Just found this cool web site, looks like I'm in small band that was 12" to 18"

The top map (at each link) is the totals and the bottom the last 24 hours.

https://weatherstreet.com/weather-fo...snow-cover.htm Mass

https://weatherstreet.com/weather-fo...snow-cover.htm New Hampshire

Tried to drive up to NH early this morning and had to turn around, highways were still a mess.

upthesaukee 01-30-2022 03:57 PM

Alton Bay

We're on the west side of Alton Bay, 200 ft above lake level. This morning we had 6 inches at several spots on our driveway. Walking around the house, it seemed a little deeper. So I'm guessing we got 6-8 inches.

Dave

fatlazyless 01-31-2022 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DickR (Post 366735)
Loon and Waterville websites both claim 3". Gunstock claims 8" with a lot of wind. I wonder how much stayed on the trails vs blown into the woods.

Waterville got just one inch from the Boston mega-23", 500-year snowstorm but on the prior day, Jan 29, got two inches overnight, between the 28th and 29th, so's it all got rolled into three inches for a deeper reported snow total.

Is so much incentive to fudge the inches for their Boston BMW skiers and riders who will pay the $104 lift .... www.waterville.com/cams ... :banana: .... is this really $104?