Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Oops... (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15856)

Aguamenti 05-31-2013 10:16 AM

Oops...

http://m.wcvb.com/news/-/17428308/20...z/-/index.html

"Skidded about 100 feet". OUCH!!!

RailroadJoe 05-31-2013 11:34 AM

Looks as if the tie downs were not hooked up.

Par Four 05-31-2013 11:56 AM

I can't even imagine...

I can't even imagine how awful you'd feel if it happened to your boat.

I've been asking advice here recently about my trailer because I "don't want to be that guy" sitting on the side of the road with my trailer bearings smoking, or caught without a spare tire.

I definitely don't want to be "that" guy shown in the photos... Ouch!

Lesson learned at the expense of someone else. Tie down straps are an extension of the trailer and need to be on my check list. The safety chain from the bow eye to the winch stand needs to be checked (and double checked)

cillovely 05-31-2013 03:05 PM

And it was a beauty of a boat, too.

Always always check and re-check everything on that trailer before taking off.

We were behind some donkey going up to Winni two summers ago. He was towing a pontoon boat doing about 80 mph! Swerving all over the place. One of his cupholders from the boat blew out and out on the highway never to be seen again. We always go slow and steady. About our only mishap has been our "custom cover" (homemade from a tarp with snaps put in and sewed and taped where needed to fit) ripped, but we pulled right over when it was safe and fixed it straight away.

PaugusBayFireFighter 05-31-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cillovely (Post 204926)
And it was a beauty of a boat, too.

Always always check and re-check everything on that trailer before taking off.

We were behind some donkey going up to Winni two summers ago. He was towing a pontoon boat doing about 80 mph! Swerving all over the place. One of his cupholders from the boat blew out and out on the highway never to be seen again. We always go slow and steady. About our only mishap has been our "custom cover" (homemade from a tarp with snaps put in and sewed and taped where needed to fit) ripped, but we pulled right over when it was safe and fixed it straight away.

The boat was buffed and waxed for last weekend until it pulled up with the rear of the cockpit cover torn away from the clasps. The drive up from Mass. cost an additional $800. for the new cover and it won't be ready for this weekend.
After seeing that boat on the highway it's small potatoes!

Par Four 05-31-2013 06:12 PM

How'd it happen?

Looking at the pictures again I noticed he's still apparently connected to the bow strap and possibly the bow eye safety chain too. So I gotta wonder how such a heavy boat got so loose off the trailer?

I wonder if it could have been a blowout/flat in combination with no transom straps?

In the second picture I see what looks to be a long stripe of white fiberglass that got ground off the keel. Must have removed a lot of material but I wonder how far the repair folks can go before they say too much is gone?

I might imagine some outdrive and prop damage also happened, or maybe he was tilted up far enough, although he is hard up against the guard rail.

8gv 05-31-2013 10:31 PM

That'll buff right out!

Lakesrider 06-03-2013 07:20 AM

That ain't no 28 footer. Looks like the starboard corner got ground down pretty good. Glad no one got hurt. Sad though.:(

upthesaukee 06-03-2013 06:33 PM

I agree..not 28'

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakesrider (Post 205042)
That ain't no 28 footer. Looks like the starboard corner got ground down pretty good. Glad no one got hurt. Sad though.:(

Breakdown lane 10' wide, lane 10-12'. Maybe a 21 or 22 footer.

Par Four 06-03-2013 06:59 PM

Not so rare

I did a quick Google search to see if there was any follow up info on the mishap.

I'm not traffic accident gawking, I'm trying to learn what happened so I can be sure not to do it myself.

Boy was I surprised to see how many hits there were for "I95 boat crash". ( or something similar...). Turns out to maybe be not so rare.

BroadHopper 06-03-2013 08:34 PM

God forbid

If you google I495 boat mishap! :eek:

Ryan 06-04-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 205131)
If you google I495 boat mishap! :eek:

Tough to Google when the accident happened on I95. ;)

Par Four 06-04-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan (Post 205161)
Tough to Google when the accident happened on I95. ;)

I think his point was to look around and you'll see a surprising amount of boat mishaps...

Belmont Resident 06-04-2013 04:30 PM

Looking at the pictures my guess would be the trailer came loose from the tow vehicle which caused the boat to come off the trailer. Just guessing, but I don't think anyone lifted that trailer off and put it down on the road with the front of the boat still attached, and there is no jack on the front of the trailer. Again just a guess but not having it tied down may have saved it from flipping over and having it become a total loss. Had the boat been tied down it very well could have flipped instead of coming off. Either way it took a hell of a lot just to get that boat to come off the trailer.
Then again it could have been a driver who caused it do to his own actions.
Lousy way to start the season off.

Winnisquamguy 06-05-2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 205116)
Breakdown lane 10' wide, lane 10-12'. Maybe a 21 or 22 footer.

Traveling lanes are 12' and breakdown lanes are 14' and he also has on a huge swim platform on the back maybe 2' So 28' it not out of the question. My sister has a 21' and she doesn't have the seat on side or a sink.

4Fun 06-05-2013 08:36 AM

Looks like a Stingray 250LR. About 25'.

ApS 06-05-2013 08:47 AM

"Keep Your Eyes on the...um...ah...errr...um..."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Par Four (Post 205180)
I think his point was to look around and you'll see a surprising amount of boat mishaps...

How about Interstate-75, where a boat exits a lake and collides with a truck!

:eek: