Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winni Pets (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Missing Kitty at Minge Cove (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14814)

Island Girl 09-13-2012 06:10 PM

Missing Kitty at Minge Cove

My cat got loose at Minge Cove this afternoon (Thursday). She is a grey and brown tiger and responds to the name Winnie or Kitty.

She is a smallish 6 year old with short legs and and extra toe on her paws.

Please email islandcam@comcast.net if you see her or catch her!

We are very sad. I will add a picture.

IG

NoBozo 09-13-2012 06:48 PM

Not to worry. She has just taken the night off and will be back when she gets around to it. :)

Our 17+ year old MOOSE is the same way. We still havn't figured her out after all these years. :D NB

Quilt Lady 09-13-2012 06:48 PM

MCM Alert!

I will alert the neighbors who walk to be on the lookout for "Winnie". I am taking care of a friend's kitties so I will keep an eye open. My friend also feeds a feral cat twice a day (which I am also doing) so I know there is food out there. Sure hope we can find your little girl!!!!! :(

Island Girl 09-13-2012 09:29 PM

How to Outsmart a Cat

We went back to the marina twice... the second time after dark, her favorite time of day.

It was mostly very quiet and I began the call I have used since I got her. This call only produces results when she wants.... not when I want.

After a few calls we heard a far off meow.... we knew it was her and we were very excited that she was nearby and alive. We could not tell if she was hurt. I kept calling and from time to time she responded. Cessnaair had a spot light and went into the woods where we could hear her meows. He saw her and she ran away... then we knew she was just fine and was going to toy with us..... and she did.

The usual thing to do is to go about my business and she will finally show up. The difference here is that there was no home to show up to in the marina. She is only let outside on the island and never at home in MA.

So we got two chairs out of the car and sat near the woods. Miss kitty would circle us but not come near. At one point she was on a rock and I slowly walked toward her... and she let me. As soon as I got close enough to grab her, she took off. This little scenario went on for over an hour.

Cessnaair walked away and she followed him, but kept a distance. She was having a great time with this. I think she liked knowing she was not alone, but not ready to submit to a boat ride or whatever she thought I would do.

We sat on the wall next to the docks, she sat under a nearby truck. At one point I decided to lay on the ground because when I am in bed she comes and lays next to me. She walked right by and jumped onto a pontoon boat. I thought for sure I could corner her there, but she was too fast... and ran into the woods.

So far my plan was not working. I should have just sat still for the hour! I went down on the grass again, this time with a little baggie of food. She came and sat near me, on the wall. I slowly moved closer to her and in a position to get her when I could outsmart her. I opened the baggie and made it rustle. I had the sly kitty's attention. I put some food in my hand and held it out... Ah... she sniffed...food.

I opened the baggie right next to me and she slowly came to it and started eating. I grabbed her by the scruff of the neck.. then the rest of her... Game Point!

She is mostly happy to be home, and we are very happy to have her back.

The cat missing signs are still at the marina... I will remove them tomorrow.

IG (sigh)

`

DRH 09-13-2012 10:28 PM

We're glad your kitty is back at home, safe and sound!

riverat 09-14-2012 07:10 AM

Yeah!!!!!!!!

tis 09-14-2012 07:20 AM

So glad you found her! What a little devil. Cats can be so independent, but you could have killed her for a while, all the time not wanting anything to happen to her! :laugh::laugh:

One time I moved to a new home and was going there for the first time with my cat in the car. I had to stop at a small shopping center and he got out. I thought he was dead with all the traffic and he had never been to the new house so expected never to see him again. To make a long story short, about a week later, he showed up at the house. I never knew how he found it, he must have smelled me is all I can think. This cat was very smart, he was like a dog, he would sit, lie down, roll over, sit up and beg all on command-all the tricks a dog would do.

Rattlesnake Gal 09-14-2012 07:43 AM

Winnie Kitty

So glad you got your little Winnie Kitty back! whew!

I am convinced that Cairn Terriers must be part cat. Your description of how she acts is eerily similar to how my canine kids act. :laugh:

CGI3 09-14-2012 09:25 PM

Lost cat

About 10 years ago I had a cat (indoor outdoor) that disappeared for 4 months! This cat never spent the night outside. I was driving down Winona rd in Meredith and saw the little bugger walking towards the house. He was approx 2 miles from home but was headed in the right direction. I hopped out of the car, she came right to me. I always wondered were the heck she was. She was real skinny but otherwise healthy. She ate and slept for 5 whole days. Don't lose hope.

Greene's Basin Girl 09-15-2012 02:14 AM

Any chances of seeing a photo of Winnie?

upthesaukee 09-15-2012 07:24 AM

might have to wait a while...

The only picture you will see will be from her backside...IG has sent her to the corner for a week!!!!:D

Greene's Basin Girl 09-15-2012 10:09 AM

Does she have a dunce cap on her head while she whines in the corner?

Tallyho 09-15-2012 08:00 PM

Dogs have owners, cats have staff.

Jeanzb1 09-18-2012 10:37 AM

I am very glad, too, that Winnie has been found and is home again. My last cat was also named Winnie (Winslow but perhaps it should have been Winnipesaukee!!)