Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Looking for a new dentist (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15399)

Whimsey 02-07-2013 04:48 PM

Looking for a new dentist

Would anyone recommend a general family dentist in the Wolfeboro, Alton, Gilford area? My search on the forum didn't have much since 2007. My current one is too far away (and thinks I'm an ATM). Thanks in advance for sharing.:D

Jeanzb1 02-07-2013 04:53 PM

Dr. Jeffrey Crowell on Union Avenue in Laconia. Awesome dentist!:D

songkrai 02-07-2013 07:59 PM

Don't get me going on dentists.

I assume all are honest, right?

Two dentists in two different states. One in Meredith and one in Arizona.

Different time periods. Within 2 years.

I went in for a simple cleaning with technician in Meredith. The dentist comes in in the end and states that I require over $2,000.00 in dental work. Forget exact words but something like deep gum cleaning or possibly periodontal disease or some such condition.

Later the one in Arizona - again - a cleaning - the dentist comes in and states same or similiar wording. This time I ask for a written estimate. About $3,200.00.

Fortunately I have a high school friend who is a dentist. A 3 hour drive. I make appointment with him. Drive down. He exams me and states that what other dentists are asking for is not needed.

Did I stumble across two dentists that are seeking financial gain needlessly?

Is my high school dentist friend incompetent?

codeman671 02-07-2013 09:42 PM

If it was pediatric dentistry needed one of the best around just moved to Alton last fall.

Belmont Resident 02-08-2013 05:39 AM

One not to use

Center for Contemporary Dentistry on 106.
another one who thinks your an ATM and wanted me to do about $5k in work that my new dentist says just wasn't necessary.
At over $1k they wanted me to do 3 crowns two on back teeth that have no use. Current dentist had one pulled so far, cost $200.
also had work done that wasn't done right, when asked to fix it they said I would be charged again for services.
My wife loves them but she hasn't needed anything beyond regular work done.

I now use: Troy Schrupp PLLC
60 Belknap Mountain Rd Gilford, NH 03249‎
(603) 528-0400

Best dentist I've ever used. He came recommended from someone else that was having the same problems as I was with the one mentioned above.
Good luck.

modio 02-08-2013 06:37 AM

Interlaced Family Dental in Moultonborough. It's right on 16 after the intersection in Center Harbor. They are so nice, and made my six year old feel right at home. Best dental experience I have ever had. Absolutely DO NOT go to Dr. Boles in The Weirs. Talk about overpriced, charges beyond what insurance pays and if you don't have a sonicare toothbrush be prepared for a serious push!!!

modio 02-08-2013 06:39 AM

Interlakes

Belmont Resident 02-08-2013 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by modio (Post 198765)
Interlaced Family Dental in Moultonborough. It's right on 16 after the intersection in Center Harbor. They are so nice, and made my six year old feel right at home. Best dental experience I have ever had. Absolutely DO NOT go to Dr. Boles in The Weirs. Talk about overpriced, charges beyond what insurance pays and if you don't have a sonicare toothbrush be prepared for a serious push!!!

Yes but they are so much better then conventional brushes at cleaning and less abrasive to your gums.
I had the round one then went to Sonicar and it is a much better brush.
Yes pricy but as with just about everything else now you get what you pay for and Amazon has great deals as does the Sonicare web site.

dragonfly03246 02-08-2013 07:43 AM

Singh Family Dental

Paul & Lisa are very nice people and they have 3 offices. One in Gilford (at Village West), Plymouth and Center Ossipee. I would give them a call.

http://www.singhfamilydental.com/

BroadHopper 02-08-2013 10:00 AM

LR family Dentistry

They are located at the foot of the hospital. I would steer clear of them. I moved here 4 years ago and decided to have them clean my teeth. They claimed I need a lot of work on my teeth etc. I question their findings as I had a checkup a year earlier in Chelmsford Mass. I went back to my old dentist and my teeth are fine. Its a drive but at least I have the best dental care.

KarmaGirl 02-08-2013 05:26 PM

We like Mark Horvath in Gilford.

songkrai 02-08-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 198788)
They are located at the foot of the hospital. I would steer clear of them. I moved here 4 years ago and decided to have them clean my teeth. They claimed I need a lot of work on my teeth etc. I question their findings as I had a checkup a year earlier in Chelmsford Mass. I went back to my old dentist and my teeth are fine. Its a drive but at least I have the best dental care.

Similiar findings as to what I encountered. With my two dentists.

Thanks for the perspective.

NoBozo 02-08-2013 07:21 PM

Revenue Enhancement

I have noticed this down in RI. AND I have been going to this same dentist for over a decade. Now the PUSH. Business must be Slow. :look: NOW It seems I have to become my own dentist..making medical decisions. NB

lovetheforum 02-08-2013 08:58 PM

Winnisqaum dental in Belmont. They are the best!

tis 02-09-2013 07:58 AM

I think you have to use your own judgement as far as your teeth are concerned. Probably 15 years ago, I was given a list of things I could spend a couple of thousands on my teeth doing various things, which I didn't do. I changed dentists and was told by my new dentist, that because I have 4 rather large fillings (which I have had since I was a teenager) in my molars, I should have crowns. I decided to wait. That was about 6 or 7 years ago and still no problems. That is not to say I won't but I really don't like the idea of a bunch of crowns in my mouth. I have my teeth cleaned and occasionally have xrays ( not as much as they would like) and take very good care of my teeth.

I was once told that my previous dentist had a meeting in the morning with his staff and they discussed how many fillings, crowns, etc. they could get in the day. In other words, it was like a sales meetings to see how much they could sell. That doesn't give you a very warm, fuzzy feeling.

So I think you have to be very careful.

ApS 02-15-2013 06:16 AM

Teeth? →

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whimsey (Post 198735)
Would anyone recommend a general family dentist in the Wolfeboro, Alton, Gilford area? My search on the forum didn't have much since 2007. My current one is too far away (and thinks I'm an ATM). Thanks in advance for sharing.:D

I've been patiently waiting for somebody here to mention Wolfeboro's Robert M. Maguire, DDS...:eek2:

http://www.wolfeborodentist.com/pati...scheduling.asp

I've been very fortunate in having a lifetime of only the best in dentists, and Dr. Robert M. Maguire is the latest. He's a former U. S. Navy dentist, and has seen a lot of teeth! :D

Once when a visitor broke a denture, I was directed by his staff to a meeting-room, where Dr. Maguire was having lunch: after only a few words—and only part-way into the story—Dr. Maguire was on his feet! Everything got fixed in 24-hours, and my visitor wasn't even a patient there.

My family has incidentally been "networked" with other members of his staff, and we're extremely happy with every one of them! Wanna witness a "Ninja-Receptionist", give them a call!

:)

barefootbay 02-15-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acres per Second (Post 199233)
I've been patiently waiting for somebody here to mention Wolfeboro's Robert M. Maguire, DDS...:eek2:

I've been very fortunate in having a lifetime of only the best in dentists, and Dr. Robert M. Maguire is the latest. He's a former U. S. Navy dentist, and has seen a lot of teeth! :D

Once when a visitor broke a denture, I was directed by his staff to a meeting-room, where Dr. Maguire was having lunch: after only a few words—and only part-way into the story—Dr. Maguire was on his feet! Everything got fixed in 24-hours, and my visitor wasn't even a patient there.

My family has incidentally been "networked" with other members of his staff, and we're extremely happy with every one of them! Wanna witness a "Ninja-Receptionist", give them a call!

I will strongly second this endorsement. Have been to many dentists and Dr. Maguire is at the top of the list. Caring,gentle and highly competent.

Argie's Wife 02-15-2013 10:51 PM

Dr. Levin - Gilford

We highly recommend Morton Levin, DDS, in Gilford, NH

https://plus.google.com/109031551464...ut?gl=us&hl=en

Dr. Levin and his staff take great care of us, and the Arglets, too. The oldest Arglet has already done the orthodontist thing (and he's going to be 12 this summer) - and his teeth look great. I had braces when I was 35 and it was the best thing I ever did for myself - I love my smile now. We've found the prices to be very reasonable, good office hours, and they have the cleanest office you'll ever see! (If there's one thing I hate, it's a dirty dentist's office - ick!)

radioman 02-16-2013 09:48 AM

Dentist

Do yourself a favor and make an appointment with chandler jones d.m.d. In gilford 524-8250

fatlazyless 02-16-2013 10:48 AM

....don't mean to be putt'n down dentists or nutt'n....but it just seems like they sure charge such high, high, high prices .....you knows....it's like they go to dental school for four years to get their dentist degree ....and they must maybe spend their first year learning about fixing teeth.....and the last three years are all about learning how to charge high prices?

....so, what's gonna happen to dental care starting on January 1, 2014, when the Patient Protection and Affordable Health Care Act of 2010, aka ObamaCare, first starts to roll out; does any of it apply to dental care and brushing and flossing? Like, will there be government dental police who come around to check you out to see that you be doing your regular brushing and flossing? Maybe they will make up some posters with Smokey the Bear telling us that "Only you can prevent tooth decay!"

islandboater 02-16-2013 11:02 AM

Recommend Dentist Silva Family Dental

My wife and I use Silva Dental. We pay more as he is not in our dental coverage...they (Cigna) expect us to drive to Concord. I had a crown done in his office in one visit....great personal service. Sometimes getting the best price is not the best thing for you. Best of Luck...keep smiling.

CateP 02-18-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acres per Second (Post 199233)

Wanna witness a "Ninja-Receptionist", give them a call!

Third recommendation for Maguire here. Excellent office staff and very knowledgeable.

fishdc 02-21-2013 05:50 PM

Singh Family Dentist

We love Dr. Singh and his wife who practice together. They are nice as is the office staff and don't recommend anything you do not need. They are located in Gilford and have an office in Plymouth as well.

GrandmaBig6 08-22-2013 04:18 PM

Need a dentist -on vacation

Help! I have just started my vacation and my tooth is killing me. I think I have a cavity at the gum line. Yesterday I tried 3 dentists in the Meredith area and none would take me since I'm not a resident. None would even offer me an appointment a few days from now or even take my number if they had a cancellation.

I'm willing to pay the cash for the filing. I'm here until Labor Day and if I can't find a dentist willing to help I'll buy the temporary filling kit from the drug store and deal with it when I get home.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions. I don't really want to drive to Concord. Would like to stay in the Gilford, Belmont, Weirs, Moultonborough area

Thanks much.
Mary

Little Bear 08-22-2013 04:45 PM

http://www.dentalexpressionsnh.com/

This is my dentist in Weirs Beach. Maybe he can help. Good luck.

Irish mist 08-22-2013 04:54 PM

NH dentists almost never take walk-ins, out-of-staters, or anyone who is not a resident. It's disgusting behavior IMO. Same will happen to you in Concord I'm afraid. This is something most locals up here don't know about. Try the emergency room at LRGH. Make sure you visit LRGH when a dentist might be in like between 8am-4pm. Don't call LRGH, just show up. Otherwise you need to go home:(

Tank151 08-22-2013 09:06 PM

Dr. Nova Kane... he only takes 2:30 (tooth hurtie) appointments! A little Dentist humor.

BroadHopper 08-22-2013 09:19 PM

Aspen Dental

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish mist (Post 210745)
NH dentists almost never take walk-ins, out-of-staters, or anyone who is not a resident. It's disgusting behavior IMO. Same will happen to you in Concord I'm afraid. This is something most locals up here don't know about. Try the emergency room at LRGH. Make sure you visit LRGH when a dentist might be in like between 8am-4pm. Don't call LRGH, just show up. Otherwise you need to go home:(

In Concord takes non residents and takes walk ins on a first come first serve basis.

VitaBene 08-22-2013 09:58 PM

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...51156542,d.dmg

He took a friend in during bike week- now he is my family dentist. Great guy.

In Center Harbor

itchin for fishin 08-23-2013 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by songkrai (Post 198743)
Don't get me going on dentists.

I assume all are honest, right?

Two dentists in two different states. One in Meredith and one in Arizona.

Different time periods. Within 2 years.

I went in for a simple cleaning with technician in Meredith. The dentist comes in in the end and states that I require over $2,000.00 in dental work. Forget exact words but something like deep gum cleaning or possibly periodontal disease or some such condition.

Later the one in Arizona - again - a cleaning - the dentist comes in and states same or similiar wording. This time I ask for a written estimate. About $3,200.00.

Fortunately I have a high school friend who is a dentist. A 3 hour drive. I make appointment with him. Drive down. He exams me and states that what other dentists are asking for is not needed.

Did I stumble across two dentists that are seeking financial gain needlessly?

Is my high school dentist friend incompetent?

I'm a NH dentist and can honestly say I have seen and heard your story before. Chances are if you had two dentists who came up with similar but different treatment plans than your friend, your friend may not be doing you a favor. There are times where dentists believe they are doing good by saving someone money but in the end, (years down the road), end up costing the patient much more money. Many times, these are also dentists who do not keep up with good continuing education.

I will say that if I practiced using the same methods and techniques today that I learned 25 years ago when I graduated, it would be malpractice! As I write this, I am out in hot Arizona learning and updating techniques that many feel I know very well. You can't become complacent if you want to do your best for your patients.

Let me touch on fees, as it is frustrating. The cost to deliver dental care is very expensive. Whenever I get new staff member and they see invoices and what it costs to operate a practice they are shocked. We are subject to many regulations that increase the costs of care. Also, FLL, dentists go to school for 8 years: 4 undergraduate and 4 for dental school. Many dentists also do a year residency before going into practice and of course, as I noted, continuing education is ongoing. It is typical upon graduation for a dentist to have educational debts of $400,000. Don't even ask what it costs to start a practice.

There have been many excellent dentists mentioned in this thread. I will finish by saying that dental disease is preventable. True, if you already have had dental work, it will eventually need replacement. No matter how good the work, it does wear out. So the best thing you can do reduce your dental cost is practice prevention. Most of my patients just need to do prevention and it costs them less than $400 per year. How much do you spend on food, clothing or grooming? You use your teeth every single day for eating, speaking and of course smiling!

Message me if you have any questions.

Irish mist 08-23-2013 10:08 AM

I'm happy to hear that there might be "some" NH dentists that take walk-ins & out-of-staters these days. I had a guest staying with us about 5 or 6 years ago that had no such luck. She developed an infection and was turned down for emergency treatment by every single dentist we tried in the lakes region, and we called just about every one of them in a 3 day period. She also had no luck in Concord.

Long story short: we had to take her down to Massachusetts when to our utter shock we realised that not one dentist would treat her up here. I love my home state, but there's no excuse for this kind of treatment. The poster looking for help on this board yesterday was turned down everywhere she called.....so call me skeptical until I hear that someone took her in up here.

cheffy1354 08-23-2013 11:55 AM

best dentist

I agree with Belmont resident, I have used Dr. Troy Schrupp he is an awesome dentist he explains everything he is doing and is gentle. He has his office in the back of his house, 3 years ago on X-mas eve I had broke a tooth and I talked to him he said come over in the morning and I will take care of you so X-mas day I went in ,him and his family were leaving to visit family and he took me at 6am and pulled the tooth for me. When I went to pay he said to me Merry Christmas. There are not a lot of dentist around that would do that. I am moving back to the lakes region since being away for a couple of years and I am calling him first thing to get an appoinment.

Den65 08-23-2013 01:23 PM

i remember

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheffy1354 (Post 210785)
I agree with Belmont resident, I have used Dr. Troy Schrupp he is an awesome dentist he explains everything he is doing and is gentle. He has his office in the back of his house, 3 years ago on X-mas eve I had broke a tooth and I talked to him he said come over in the morning and I will take care of you so X-mas day I went in ,him and his family were leaving to visit family and he took me at 6am and pulled the tooth for me. When I went to pay he said to me Merry Christmas. There are not a lot of dentist around that would do that. I am moving back to the lakes region since being away for a couple of years and I am calling him first thing to get an appoinment.

Barry is that you,I remember when that happen to you. Nice to see your still around. You are still missed

GrandmaBig6 08-23-2013 06:26 PM

Thanks for the information

Thanks everyone for the names. I've called one place and they won't take me. Will try the others in the morning.

Besides having this tooth problem vacation has been wonderful!

Irish mist 08-24-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrandmaBig6 (Post 210806)
Thanks everyone for the names. I've called one place and they won't take me. Will try the others in the morning.

Besides having this tooth problem vacation has been wonderful!

Sorry to hear this, but I'm not surprised. Take my advice & get down to Massachusetts.....most any dentist will take you in an emergency. Don't let this situation linger on.

tis 08-24-2013 03:19 PM

I can't believe one of the dentists in Wolfeboro won't take you. I had a friend visiting that lost a crown and one of the dentists took her. Try Dr. Selle or Dr. McGuire. Not exactly the Laconia area, but is better than going all the way to Mass.