Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Sod (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27359)

SAMIAM 08-18-2021 02:38 PM

Sod

Lowes is no longer carrying sod. Anyone know where it's available?
Thanks

mhtranger 08-18-2021 04:29 PM

Not sure if they deliver to the lakes region but maybe a phone call to Tim’s turf in litchfield nh.

TiltonBB 08-18-2021 04:35 PM

There is not a lot around locally. Try Cameron's in Farmington. The closest sod farm is in Lebanon, Maine.

The only other option may be to find a local landscaper who is ordering in quantity and ask to team up with them.

VitaBene 08-18-2021 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 360812)
Lowes is no longer carrying sod.Anyone know where it's available?
Thanks

Bob, as nice as sod is to put an instant lawn in, it is not a good choice long term. We are in prime grass seeding season. Sod requires a lot of water daily to keep it alive. You end up surface watering the plant which results in a shallow root system. Look into hydroseeding or brilion seeding. Once semi established cut watering back to every other day then ultimately water an inch of water One day a week at a time. Roots will "dive" for water and establish deep roots

Descant 08-18-2021 09:14 PM

shorefront?

Are you shorefront? Skip the grass and get Blueberry sod. Mich better roots and water filtration, better for the lake and the geese don't like it. Never have to mow.

Here's one place: https://wildsodsofmaine.com/pictures...blueberry-sod/

SAMIAM 08-19-2021 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaBene (Post 360833)
Bob, as nice as sod is to put an instant lawn in, it is not a good choice long term. We are in prime grass seeding season. Sod requires a lot of water daily to keep it alive. You end up surface watering the plant which results in a shallow root system. Look into hydroseeding or brilion seeding. Once semi established cut watering back to every other day then ultimately water an inch of water One day a week at a time. Roots will "dive" for water and establish deep roots

Actually just looking for a small amount for some trouble spots.
I have an area that I've reseeded 3 times and it still won't take.
I roughed it up, sprinkled a little extra loam, added starting ferilizer, good quality seed, a light coat of hay, watered regularly and it still didn't take...grrrrrrrrr
Figured sod was my last resort but open to any ideas if someone has a green thumb out there.
Love the idea of blueberry sod but I'm matching up existing grass and it's not near the water

thinkxingu 08-19-2021 05:07 AM

We have a small space that doesn't take very well to growing grass, either. We've been looking at replacing it with mini clover. I get that it needs to match a certain area, but something to consider if the rest is periodically troublesome as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

VitaBene 08-19-2021 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 360842)
I roughed it up, sprinkled a little extra loam, added starting ferilizer, good quality seed, a light coat of hay, watered regularly and it still didn't take...grrrrrrrrr
Figured sod was my last resort but open to any ideas if someone has a green thumb out there.
Love the idea of blueberry sod but I'm matching up existing grass and it's not near the water

Check with Tim at Stephens Garden Center. Miracle has it out front often too

Descant 08-19-2021 08:31 AM

Filling in?

Without seeing the spot, I have to think the OP is not really filling in matching grass because he can't get grass to grow there. Some people put bark mulch in such areas, but you have to replace it periodically. I like to use perennial ground coves in beds. Pachysandra, phlox and Vinca (periwinkle?) have all been very successful. "Walk on Thyme" might work too. When all else fails, put down a few pieces of flat stone and put a bird bath, reflecting ball or sundial in the middle.

John Mercier 08-19-2021 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 360842)

Soil test.