Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Steel or aluminum freestanding kayak rack (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29397)

Tpm1971 04-01-2024 04:32 PM

Steel or aluminum freestanding kayak rack

Would like to purchase this from a local store before hitting the big bass box in hooksett or from lord bezos. Anyone know of a store that sells them in the lakes region?

Thanks all!

ishoot308 04-01-2024 04:43 PM

Parafunalia

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tpm1971 (Post 392339)
Would like to purchase this from a local store before hitting the big bass box in hooksett or from lord bezos. Anyone know of a store that sells them in the lakes region?

Thanks all!

Have you tried Parafunalia in Gilford?

Dan

camp guy 04-01-2024 04:47 PM

Kayak stand

In driving around the Lakes region I have seen plenty of kayak stands, mostly homemade, wood construction. Perhaps you could take a ride some nice day and if you see a kayak stand just stop and ask the owner a few questions.

Tpm1971 04-01-2024 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camp guy (Post 392341)
In driving around the Lakes region I have seen plenty of kayak stands, mostly homemade, wood construction. Perhaps you could take a ride some nice day and if you see a kayak stand just stop and ask the owner a few questions.

Thank you - took a spin around Newfound yesterday and saw all 3 types but not a lot of people at home just yet…

Biggd 04-01-2024 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tpm1971 (Post 392339)

Thanks all!

It is very easy to build one out of PT 2X4's.
The wood ones can be heavy but I'm sure a steel one would be even heavier.

codeman671 04-01-2024 07:48 PM

Check out www.logkayakrack.com.

This is what we went with.

ApS 04-02-2024 04:09 AM

Back When Canoeing Was Safer....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 392346)
It is very easy to build one out of PT 2X4's.
The wood ones can be heavy but I'm sure a steel one would be even heavier.

I built mine in 1992 using 3-inch lag screws. It's still supportng one canoe and two Folbot kayaks. Six lengths of re-purposed fabric fire hose lag-bolted crosswise provides a soft and flexible rest for each boat.

I recommend securing the boats to your new structure against the occasional extreme gust--which can occur year-round.

That's four 2x4x7' uprights, two 2x4x3' across the top ends, and one 2x4x10' to connect both lengthwise. Depending on your site, additional structure should be taken into account. Boats are most easily retrieved from the two ends (i.e., lengthwise).

It's lag-bolted to a giant hemlock at the edge of the lake. A short diagonal length of 2x4 allows the tree to move yet allow the stored boats to remain secure.

:look:

winni83 04-02-2024 07:03 AM

We have an aluminum kayak storage rack which we purchased from Lakes Region Dock in Belmont, NH. It holds 4 kayaks, two on each side, It has been on our beach for 8 years or so and no issues. It is freestanding and has never been knocked over by wind, etc. 603-524-2000.

DougNH 04-04-2024 06:32 AM

My neighbor built some free-standing racks with ¾” black pipe for our association. Each holds 6 kayaks/boards, interesting design but it is very minimal, cost effective and does the job. I will be up next weekend and if interested I will take a few photos.