Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How did you pick your Forum UserName? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7009)

This'nThat 11-18-2008 08:00 PM

How did you pick your Forum UserName?

Maybe this has been asked before, but I'm curious -- How did each of you pick your UserName? I'm sure some thought went into it, because there are some pretty unique names on the Forum. Is there an interesting history behind it? Or, did you do what I did -- pick it based upon what you thought might describe you or your activities? Sometimes I can guess -- but most often, not.

I chose my username -- This'nThat -- because I thought I'd be on a thread and talk a little about This, and a little about That -- thus: This'nThat. Besides, it has an explosive abbreviation -- TnT, which I thought was pretty cool.

What about you?.....

Lakesrider 11-18-2008 08:11 PM

Like to ride around the lakes in my boat. like to ride around the lake on my Harley or in my 1965 Cobra replica.

NightWing 11-18-2008 08:16 PM

A tag line from the movie...

In the dead of night they come - Swift - Silent - Savage

Ropetow 11-18-2008 08:32 PM

Name of our senior cat. Also the license plate on my truck. A link to the nostalgic days of skiing in years gone by....

Cristen 11-18-2008 08:50 PM

Very easy....my parents named me Cristen! :D

mneck1814 11-18-2008 09:11 PM

Our camp on Moultonboro Neck has been in our family since it was built in 1814.

Aquadeziac 11-18-2008 09:14 PM

Forum name

Very simple.....the name on our boat and license plate on our car.

Mink Islander 11-18-2008 09:17 PM

Mink Islander

Wife's family has had a place (actually 2) on Bear Island since the 40's. But we found a place of our own nearby in 1996 and I became.... Mink Islander!

gravy boat 11-18-2008 09:33 PM

Gravy

In the "old country" our last name literally means "gravy". Our name is Czech and begins with a "V".
Our parents purchased a family boat about 15 years ago....it was the color gray.
When trying to come up with a name for our parents' purchase one of my brothers came up with "Gray 'V' Boat" or "Gravy Boat".

GB

Just Sold 11-18-2008 09:36 PM

Simple, I am in sales. It was the name of my boat too.

Misty Blue 11-19-2008 03:02 AM

The name game...

It's 19 degrees outside and there is a boat tied up to my dock. (Using the old lightbulb trick).

She is called the Misty Blue and is credited with three lives saved by the Coast Guard.

Picture Forest Gump...."That's my boat....I call her the Misty."

Name withheld by request.

Skipper of the Sea Que 11-19-2008 06:38 AM

What's in a name?

You may want to check out a similar thread from April 2007. What's in a name. Over 130 posts with folks explaining their screen name. I found it to be interesting reading.

My screen name is explained HERE. However, I strongly recommend viewing the whole thread. For instance, find out who chose their screen name because "FatLazyLess" was already taken.:laugh:

Great idea to revisit the topic and get more forum folks to 'fess up :). Don't hesitate, add your name NOW. With over 3,000 registered users there should be many more posts on this topic. So come on and let us hear from YOU!

Blue Thunder 11-19-2008 06:54 AM

A little strange but...

Mine is a little more convoluted. The name of my boat is Blue Thunder. The boat is blue (and white). It has the "Captain's Call" exhaust which allows it to be switched on and off (on=thunder). The name comes from the 1983 movie Blue Thunder starring the late Roy Scheider (JAWS) about a state of the art police helicopter that had the ability to muffle the sounds it made by going into "whisper mode". I'm also in the same line of work as Mr. Scheider's character(among other things).

Anyone remember JAFO?

BT

TomC 11-19-2008 07:11 AM

sometimes

its just your name...

chipj29 11-19-2008 07:48 AM

First name, first initial last name, and 29 is the number on my softball uniform.

hazmatmedic 11-19-2008 08:00 AM

I'm on the Hazmat team and a paramedic.

Not much thought into it.

riverat 11-19-2008 08:43 AM

I lived on the banks of a river most of my life, hence, Riverat

Argie's Wife 11-19-2008 08:46 AM

Hubby is "Argie" and so I'm "Argie's Wife"....

Someone referred to me as "Argie's Frau" back when we were doing the Forum Fest this year and that tickled me to no end. Our last name is as Greek as it gets and to put it with some German... well.. that pretty much describes us. (I'm as Anglo as they come; he's first generation American.) Thought about changing my handle, actually...

jkjoshuatree 11-19-2008 08:54 AM

I Remember JAFO...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Thunder (Post 84736)
Mine is a little more convoluted. The name of my boat is Blue Thunder. The boat is blue (and white). It has the "Captain's Call" exhaust which allows it to be switched on and off (on=thunder). The name comes from the 1983 movie Blue Thunder starring the late Roy Scheider (JAWS) about a state of the art police helicopter that had the ability to muffle the sounds it made by going into "whisper mode". I'm also in the same line of work as Mr. Scheider's character(among other things).

Anyone remember JAFO?

BT

Daniel Stern (the voice of the Wonder Years, Home Alone, City Slickers, etc.) played Jafo in Blue Thunder. "Just Another F@#$ing Observer" was what it stood for. Great movie!

Anyway, JK are my initials, and the "Joshuatree" comes from the greatest album of all time made by the greatest band of all time. I've seen them 29 times in concert, been to Bono's house, met the band six times, and have over 600 of their songs on my iPod.

Okay, let the "stalker" comments commense. Did I spell that right?

Blue Thunder 11-19-2008 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkjoshuatree (Post 84749)
Daniel Stern (the voice of the Wonder Years, Home Alone, City Slickers, etc.) played Jafo in Blue Thunder. "Just Another F@#$ing Observer" was what it stood for. Great movie!

Anyway, JK are my initials, and the "Joshuatree" comes from the greatest album of all time made by the greatest band of all time. I've seen them 29 times in concert, been to Bono's house, met the band six times, and have over 600 of their songs on my iPod.

And Daniel Stern's character was named???? Lymangood

Great Thread!

BT

(commence is spelled with a "c")

Sunbeam lodge 11-19-2008 09:09 AM

Sunbeam Lodge was the name of an Estate on Veasey Shore Road. It was broken up into smaller lots. When the old homes were destroyed I was able to salvage the Original huge sign that hung on the property. I also was able to save the little lodge that was built on the edge of the lake. I learned that the cottage was originally won in a poker game on Beaver Island and then dragged across the ice to it's current location.It seemed fitting that I hang the sign on what was left of the original estate. Hence the name.

fatlazyless 11-19-2008 09:17 AM

Reading the comics, back in the 1960's, I always read Dick Tracy in the Boston Globe. With characters like Pruneface, Itchy, Go Go Gomez. Officer Heap O'Calory, B.B. Eyes, Dr. Von Schnooker, and Mumbles, my choice of fatlazyless seemed like a good fit.

angela4design 11-19-2008 10:06 AM

Storytimes

Skipper, you're right - there are some interesting stories in that old thread. I remember the thread last year, but admit I lurked.

Mine's pretty simple. I'm a Graphic Designer! I'm a NH Native who is fortunate enough to get paid for something I love to do! I've been designing since high school, and you probably walk past some of my work in the grocery aisle every week! I had moved to Seattle for a few years, but NH called me back to start a family. Now, I live in Meredith on Lake Waukewan year-round and work in Gilford. Currently, my work spans across all of New England with a major media company as I "telecommute" from my little office!

I sympathize with you Jersey-ites - my work commute isn't complicated by highway traffic as often as it is by wildlife! :laugh:

Island Girl 11-19-2008 10:08 AM

Original thread

My explanation is in the original thread... I live on an island and am female...

I have always liked the rhythm of the Elton John song, "Island Girl". Much to my dismay ... after actually listening to the lyrics.... I found I did not have much in common with the woman to which he referred. She was a lot taller than me and her occupation was a bit questionable!!! I decided to keep the name anyway... gotta have a sense of humor. :D

IG

Skip 11-19-2008 10:10 AM

Just used my nickname...to keep it simple! :)

RLW 11-19-2008 10:23 AM

Mine came from my old high school girlfriends initials. Secondly I think they should reset the clock on the site as it is an hour fast. :)

Phantom 11-19-2008 10:36 AM

Mine is pretty straight forward as well ............... simply the name of our boat for years.

Where did that come from? ...... their was always something "dark", elusive, and yet omnipresent about The Phantom.

Grant 11-19-2008 10:37 AM

I decided to be uber creative, so I used my first name. Don't ask me why, because I've use one other handle (not my name) extensively in other forums for years.

Grant 11-19-2008 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkjoshuatree (Post 84749)
...Anyway, JK are my initials, and the "Joshuatree" comes from the greatest album of all time made by the greatest band of all time. I've seen them 29 times in concert, been to Bono's house, met the band six times, and have over 600 of their songs on my iPod.

Commence. And no stalker comments, just a correction on the greatest band of all time. ;)

BlackCatIslander 11-19-2008 10:46 AM

Sometimes

It's where you reside on the lake. Pretty straightforward.

Gatto Nero 11-19-2008 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackCatIslander (Post 84767)
It's where you reside on the lake. Pretty straightforward.

Mine too, but my wife is from Italy so I used the Italian version

SIKSUKR 11-19-2008 11:07 AM

As with many others here,mine was the name of my boat.Actually,my PWC which sucks in water and spits it out,sicklike!Some members think the name the name is more appropriate for my behavior.I'm really not that bad!

dpg 11-19-2008 11:46 AM

My name, well my initials anyway.

Cal 11-19-2008 11:46 AM

Because

It's my name..................;)

WeirsBeachBoater 11-19-2008 11:58 AM

Since I started boating on the lake I have always had Weirs Beach as my "home" port. Thus WBB

Onshore 11-19-2008 11:59 AM

We needed a generic log in that would allow us to discuss "things" pertaining to the regulations that affect "shore" front properties.

... and "shore things" seemed a heck of a lot more user friendly and approachable than "The Man" or "Big Brother".

GWC... 11-19-2008 12:06 PM

I dunno... :eek:

I forget... :confused:

Don't you just love old-timer's?!?!?! :D

LakeSnake 11-19-2008 12:13 PM

Simply the name of the boat I had from days gone by.

gtxrider 11-19-2008 12:17 PM

simple

It's what I love to ride on the lake. SeaDoo GTX 4TEC was too long so GTXRIDER!

kchace 11-19-2008 12:19 PM

Nothing so imaginative for me

Nothing so imaginative for me - its my name.

Ken

Bear Islander 11-19-2008 12:51 PM

My forum name comes from a rather embarrassing episode from my college days. My new girlfriend took me to this party. I thought it was going to be a regular party but . . . . No! wait. . . . I'm thinking of the name I use on another forum. Sorry!

webmaster 11-19-2008 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLW (Post 84761)
Secondly I think they should reset the clock on the site as it is an hour fast.

RLW, Click on User CP|Edit Options|Date & Time Options and check your Time Zone and DST settings. The server time is set correctly.

jeffk 11-19-2008 01:06 PM

Also just my name. I try to use some form of "jeffk" for all my user names on various forums that I visit.

ghfromaltonbay 11-19-2008 01:15 PM

gh are my first and last initials, and Alton Bay is where I've spent my happiest times starting in 1959!

kaj 11-19-2008 01:29 PM

Just the first initials of me and my kids. (The dog feels left out:( because he behaves better than the kids)

Buffalo Gal 11-19-2008 01:35 PM

I chose this user name because I was born in Buffalo (!) and my name is Gail. There's a VERY old song about a "Buffalo Gal"....

SLI 11-19-2008 01:38 PM

Not very creative....

Just my initials! I couldn't come up with anything else!

Nagigator 11-19-2008 02:27 PM

it was a given

My husband gave me the moniker, after one too many times on the boat, chart in hand, pointing out the obvious marker or other hazard coming up!

Way Out There 2 11-19-2008 02:55 PM

Mine references a book that was written by a local historian, Way Out There, about the area of Meredith I live in. I used to be P.C. on the old forum.

WinnDixie 11-19-2008 04:09 PM

Here and there...

I used to live up there; I live in Dixie now, but will always have Winnipesaukee in my heart.

Sunset Bob 11-19-2008 04:53 PM

I take a lot of sunset pictures? NO

I do post a lot of sunset pictures and have been told my screen name fits me perfect but that is not why.
I own a camp on Sunset Lake in Alton and my name is Bob.

KonaChick 11-19-2008 04:55 PM

We live in the Kona area of our great lake so no mystery why i picked this tag!

Thept 11-19-2008 05:07 PM

One of my other passions besides boating is coaching soccer. Been doing it for 20 years now. The camp I started was called " The Perfect Touch ". So I just abbreviated part of it

upthesaukee 11-19-2008 05:20 PM

Reader's Digest Version

Couldn't pronounce the name of the lake as a little kid, and would ask if we were going "up the saukee". It just stuck over the years, and now I am really lucky, because I live here, so I am always UpTheSaukee! (hence the signature:))

looniac 11-19-2008 05:24 PM

user name

In (I believe) 1978 we decided to come up for the week between Christmas & New Years. It was silly to open our place so we made a reservation in Piping Rock.

As bizarre as this sounds, there was a guy who had committed a murder somewhere in the area. The guys name was Luniac.

On the radio station, which I think was probably WLNH, they kept reporting "sightings" of Luniac here and there. It was crazy.

Hence, LOONIAC...

ApS 11-19-2008 05:52 PM

Acres per Second?

It's from the common usage of the term...

;)

Rinkerfam 11-19-2008 06:16 PM

Myself, my wife and our three children out and about in our Rinker 232 Captiva.

Pineedles 11-19-2008 08:17 PM

Pineedles

Just the name of our place on the Lake. But most get it wrong thinking it is PineNeedles.:laugh:

Merrymeeting 11-19-2008 08:30 PM

I happened to be the first to register from the lake that sends it's water (after we use it! :) ) into Winni.

Not to mention, it describes well many of the nice friends I've met via this forum

Silver Duck 11-19-2008 08:39 PM

"Duck" is one of my knicknames, "Silver" is my hair color. (Well, maybe white is closer to the truth, but silver sounds better!:D)

hancoveguy 11-19-2008 09:36 PM

location location location

Hanson Cove, Moultonborough neck... Not fancy but it gets the job done...

Waterbaby 11-19-2008 09:52 PM

I think mine picked me, more so than me picking it.......... although my son always has loved the water, once he gets in I have to practically carry him out and I always called him my Water Baby because of that................ it's great to hear the stories behind the names, even if there isn't really a story!

Newbiesaukee 11-19-2008 10:03 PM

We've been up here for 5 years, so not quite "newbie," but I'm too lazy to change.

jkjoshuatree 11-20-2008 08:44 AM

To Each His Own Grant

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grant (Post 84765)
Commence. And no stalker comments, just a correction on the greatest band of all time. ;)

Maybe we should start another thread on the "greatest bands of all time"...too bad it's not Winni related.

I can't believe I spelled commence wrong...and I'm an English magor...I mean, major...lol.

Grant we should get together sometime to argue (in a friendly way of course) whether U2 or the Dead is better.

Guess it doesn't really matter. I'm not going to change your mind and you won't change mine. Oh well, music is the fundamental grease that keeps our society chugging along (in my humble opinion anyway).

BLUESDUDE 11-20-2008 09:53 AM

I'm a DUDE who loves BLUES music.....that's it!

LakesRegionSpirit 11-20-2008 10:54 AM

Hi, new member here:

My signature is the name of my new venture..

Pricestavern 11-20-2008 10:57 AM

Growing up, friends and family would meet at my parents house for food, drink, and talk. We kiddingly called our house, "Price's Tavern". Our cabin on Rattlesnake in turn is "Price's Tavern North." Thus the user name...

JPC 11-20-2008 11:28 AM

Nothing special, just my initials.

Slickcraft 11-20-2008 11:33 AM

It's the boat

The island boat being a 1976 Slickcraft SS235, still going strong.

White Rook 11-20-2008 11:56 AM

Sgt. Chip Saunders

'White Rook' is the radio call name for the character Sgt. Saunders of the 1960's TV series COMBAT! Played by Vic Morrow, Sgt. Saunders was the squad leader reporting to Lt. Hanley played by Rick Jason. The squad was part of the 361 Infantry that landed on Omaha Beach on D-Day. My truck's license plate reads WHTROOK. :)

Stevie

Seeker 11-20-2008 12:02 PM

Now just the name of my last 6 boats and my vehicle plates. Also the name of a cat a long time ago.
Was once a callsign I used.

chipj29 11-20-2008 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkjoshuatree (Post 84853)
Maybe we should start another thread on the "greatest bands of all time"...too bad it's not Winni related.

I can't believe I spelled commence wrong...and I'm an English magor...I mean, major...lol.

Grant we should get together sometime to argue (in a friendly way of course) whether U2 or the Dead is better.

Guess it doesn't really matter. I'm not going to change your mind and you won't change mine. Oh well, music is the fundamental grease that keeps our society chugging along (in my humble opinion anyway).

Shhh don't tell Grant...but I agree with you! Love the album/CD/cassette.

trfour 11-20-2008 12:36 PM

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

My initials, I love and enjoy all four seasons....

Also, four is my favorite lucky number. :)

Terry

Grant 11-20-2008 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkjoshuatree (Post 84853)

I was an English major, too. And, for the record, love The Joshua Tree. Actually saw them on one of their first swings through the US -- in a gym at SUNY Delhi.

HAHLY 11-20-2008 02:28 PM

HAHLY is Bostonian for Harley, or at least my interpretation of it. Also the plate on my Heritage Softail.

nj2nh 11-20-2008 05:22 PM

My forum name was Jersey Girl as I am a female who reluctantly lives in NJ, but there was a Jerseygirl so I changed it to nj2nh. I confess I totally stole that from a license plate I saw once in Wolfeboro - a car from Jersey, of course. During the summer, I saw that car again, on a highway here in northern Jersey. I tried to catch up with it, but it was too far ahead and gone.

I often use my license plate as my moniker, Echo Pt, but thought I would try something new as then everyone would know who I was and where we summer! Of course, now you all do anyway.

Great thread - so many creative people!

nj2nh

PennyPenny 11-20-2008 05:50 PM

I picked my user name from a chicken we had but was interperted by my 3 year old grandson as PennyPenny. Her name was Hennypenny and he always yelled or called PennyPenny and she would come running or squacking to him. Many members think it is just adding my 2 cents worth to a post and most of the time it is but anywho...thats where I came up with my name. I use it a lot on other boards/forums.

DRH 11-20-2008 06:11 PM

My Initials

I'm a Forum member with a not-very-innovative Forum name. When Don started the original Forum, I used my actual name as my Forum name. But since my first name is also "Don", and when the Forum's popularity grew like gangbusters, some members were confusing me with the webmaster. So I decided to change my Forum name to my initials, which wasn't very creative but I suppose it does the job!

mets3007 11-20-2008 06:40 PM

Well Mets is my Favorite team and 30 i dont remember why I picked 30 but 07 is for Reyes. I think 30 was for ex met Cliff Floyd thats all.

jkjoshuatree 11-21-2008 07:27 AM

Chip And Grant...

...thanks for the support.

And I'm sure U2 thanks you...um...too.

chipj29 11-21-2008 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkjoshuatree (Post 84902)
...thanks for the support.

And I'm sure U2 thanks you...um...too.

My pleasure!
Joshua Tree came out when I was a senior in college. I still have the original cassette I bought, but I bet it is pretty worn out by now. I used to play that over and over when driving to visit my GF at the time, who lived in PA. Good times...good times.

phoenix 11-21-2008 08:42 AM

where we live when not at the lake

steadyon 11-21-2008 09:14 AM

the name of our boat from a shawn colvin song. (great lyrics!)

Resident 2B 11-21-2008 12:15 PM

In 2004 when I joined the fourm, I had plans to be a resident, hence Resident 2B.

I have since retired and we have moved up here, but I still have not been able to sell the house in Massachusetts, so we go back and forth a lot. Decided to stick with my forum name for now.

R2B

Throbbin Rods 11-22-2008 09:49 AM

My userame is what I like to see out the back of the Grady when trolling through Harilla's Landing - Throbbin Rods

ILoveWinnipesaukee 11-23-2008 06:49 AM

not brain surgery

When coming up with a name, I just thought about why I wanted to join. Simple, I love Winnipesaukee.:D

HUH 11-23-2008 09:45 AM

Huh

Huh was the question I kept asking myself when I was reading these boards specifically when reading about the supposed need for a blanket speed limit on the lake.. And now I have the same response to the way New Hampshire voted in the recent elections went. I guess some people see higher taxes and bigger Gubment as the change we really need... HUH

luckypete 11-23-2008 10:57 AM

It's Simple

I've simply attached the appropriate adjective to my name. Why Lucky? I get to spend a lot of time in one of the most beautiful places in this nation.

neckdweller 11-23-2008 12:02 PM

Pretty straight forward here too. Lived down Moultonborough Neck as a kid year round, now just there part time.

CaptDan 11-23-2008 02:17 PM

how'd i get mine? :D, and i dont even like it. :cool:

eillac@dow 11-23-2008 03:39 PM

My username is basically my first name backwards with the first letter of my last name (Allie C)....and @ Dow is for Dow Island!

Quilt Lady 11-23-2008 05:58 PM

My screen name was given to me by Rattlesnake Gal. I am a Lady who makes Quilts and then gives them away. I give quilts to ForumFest to support the charity of choice: to the Humane Society to raise money: and to wounded soldiers to bring comfort.

Hermit Cover 11-23-2008 09:25 PM

Hermit Cover

Just finishing our two year project...our little log cabin on Hermit Cove....move in by Christmas.:)

Bettina 2 11-24-2008 09:26 AM

Bettina 2

My handle is the name of my 2nd boat. First one was just Bettina...a grand old girl who taught me to be humble and vigilant on the water. :)

nightrider 11-24-2008 04:30 PM

Name

I always urge my sled-riding buddies to join me for a ride after the sun sets. I love riding the trails at night. More than during the day, you know when other sleds are coming around corners because you can see the headlights long before you see the sleds. Riding to the top of Moose Mountain on a moonlit night is heavenly. Deer and Moose are seen more often at night on the trails also. At one point during a break in riding I was extolling the virtues of that particular trip and a fellow rider dubbed me the "Nightrider" and it has stuck ever since.

Orion 11-24-2008 06:26 PM

Orion

Flew 2500 hrs on Navy P3 Orion antisubmarine patrol planes during the Cold War (1975-1979). Also an avid astronomer and Orion was always my favorite constellation since it was always prominent in the clear winter skies, and had the most interesting celestial objects within.

This'nThat 11-24-2008 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orion (Post 85047)
Also an avid astronomer and Orion was always my favorite constellationhin.

And did you see that NASA has named its next manned planetary (moon and Mars) crew module Orion?

Rattlesnake Guy 11-24-2008 11:54 PM

Mine was picked for me.

I used to have a different name. Members of the forum started referring to me by this name as the logical extension of my wifes name. I can't argue with logic.

SAMIAM 11-25-2008 10:30 AM

Stole it from my wife,Sammie.She has the original Samiam license plate.She's always worried that I'll start ranting about something and she'll get the blame.
My name is Bob,but Bobiam doesn't really have a ring to it.

Orion 11-25-2008 07:21 PM

Hmmm

Quote:

Originally Posted by This'nThat (Post 85050)
And did you see that NASA has named its next manned planetary (moon and Mars) crew module Orion?

.....and they never even asked my permission!!;)