Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Covid-19 Discussions & Information (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Vaccinations (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26664)

DEJ 02-28-2021 12:21 PM

My apology, I was not aware that the number of post's someone has makes them more credible than others. I also did not realize unity is a one way street. To each their own I guess.

Kamper 02-28-2021 12:34 PM

FWIW: I got a call on Friday to move my date from April 3, to yesterday, February 27. The later date was the earliest available (within 50 miles) at the time. I suspected and had it confirmed at the 'shooting gallery' that the drugstore location had only been finalized and stocked that week and the NH vaccination program was scrambling to fill the newly available slots.

If you are in a similar situation you may get a call also. If you haven't gotten a call yet you might want to call 211/social services to inquire about moving up your shot and let them know you may be available on short notice to go to a new vaccination site if one opens up near you.

Good luck!

Newbiesaukee 02-28-2021 02:00 PM

Just to clarify certain aspects of the so-called "inside" Pfizer story.

The basic idea about this "inside" information is factually flawed.

Basically, in the U.S., physicians are able to write a prescription for any medication which has been approved for any use. I can legally write a prescription for, example, hydroxychloroquine to treat toenail fungus and the pharmacist will fill it. Actually, writing a prescription does not require a diagnosis and the pharmacist will fill it. So the emphasis on the diagnosis of "upper respiratory infection" vs. Covid makes no sense on its surface and this seems to be the key to the poster's discussion. I admit to not really understanding his point.

Now, writing a prescription for hydroxychloroquine would open me up for malpractice suits, refusal of the insurance company to pay for; and any number of penalties...but not in anyway that would resemble what the poster wrote.

Certainly, I see no distinction in writing the diagnosis of Covid vs "upper respiratory infection" in any way that makes any medical; or, for that matter, any political sense. I don't understand how this would effect Pfizer in any practical way.

It's unfortunate that this helpful thread has been hijacked.

FlyingScot 02-28-2021 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEJ (Post 351548)
My apology, I was not aware that the number of post's someone has makes them more credible than others. I also did not realize unity is a one way street. To each their own I guess.

A person's previous posts are critical to their credibility and understanding their bias.

If I post something, just for example, it's likely to have a liberal to moderate slant, often based on something I read in the NY Times, and likely to be true.

Similarly, if we take Garysanfran as another example, it's likely to have a conservative slant, often based on something he read in the WSJ or Forbes, and also likely to be true.

People such as Gary, me, Think, Sue, ishoot, Maxum, Newbiesaukee...all appreciate that we are leaving long electronic trails. This enables others to evaluate their posts and credibility over time

gravy boat 02-28-2021 06:52 PM

Understanding their bias? Yes.

Critical to their credibility? Negative.

This is social media. More posts do not prove someone credible on any subject or in general.

Sue Doe-Nym 02-28-2021 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gravy boat (Post 351556)
Understanding their bias? Yes.

Critical to their credibility? Negative.

This is social media. More posts do not prove someone credible on any subject or in general.

I agree with you that “more posts don’t necessarily prove someone credible on any subject” , but over time, you can get the gist of a poster’s leanings, whether conservative or liberal, and this can be helpful as you determine for yourself the credibility of position (s) they have taken. Anyhow, that’s how I interpreted Flying’s latest post.

ApS 02-28-2021 09:19 PM

"Sky" News from Australia—NOT "Pablum News"...

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 351554)
A person's previous posts are critical to their credibility and understanding their bias.

If I post something, just for example, it's likely to have a liberal to moderate slant, often based on something I read in the NY Times, and likely to be true.

Similarly, if we take Garysanfran as another example, it's likely to have a conservative slant, often based on something he read in the WSJ or Forbes, and also likely to be true.

People such as Gary, me, Think, Sue, ishoot, Maxum, Newbiesaukee...all appreciate that we are leaving long electronic trails. This enables others to evaluate their posts and credibility over time

1) While "leaving long electronic trails", some don't know what country has taken control of Forbes! :eek:

2) Sky News' accounts of U.S. vaccinations strongarm U.S. "Pablum": :rolleye2:

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_...9001?id=539437

Descant 02-28-2021 09:49 PM

Conservative vs Liberal?

When DES lets too much water out of the lake and I can't use my dock is that C or L? I don't really care. I'm just upset that they, a government agency, took x weeks out of my boating season.

When I go to Town Meeting, I see a lot of friends, some Dems, some Republicans. LOTS of undeclared. We all vote on what we think is best for the town. (Budget, tax rate) We all know what we think, independently. If you listen to Bret Baer or David Muir and vote accordingly, you aren't C or L, you're an idiot. Double that if your philosophy comes from a "national" newspaper, (NYT, LA times) exception granted to the Christian Science Monitor.
Getting honest information these days is a lot harder than it was a few years ago, pre-internet, pre 24 hour cable news, which is opinion pretending to be news.
For me, the Winnipesaukee Forum should be about peeing in Braun Bay and Milfoil in Back Bay, not conservative or liberal national politics.

DEJ 03-01-2021 03:47 AM

Best post ever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by descant (Post 351564)
if you listen to bret baer or david muir and vote accordingly, you aren't c or l, you're an idiot. Double that if your philosophy comes from a "national" newspaper, (nyt, la times) exception granted to the christian science monitor.
For me, the winnipesaukee forum should be about peeing in braun bay and milfoil in back bay, not conservative or liberal national politics.

bravo!!!!!

TiltonBB 03-01-2021 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee (Post 351535)
The warm and fuzzy feeling should come with your ability to get your second shot.

In a perfect world, it would be better, in my personal non-professional opinion, if you could make other airport arrangements for your guest.

You’ve given yourself a very tight time window. Stuff happens. Get your shot,go home and get on with your life.

It's all good! I had the second shot yesterday at noon and picked up my guest at the airport. No ill effects, nothing. Up early this morning and drinking coffee. Feeling great!

However, out of an abundance of caution, I skipped going to the gym and working out yesterday. (I figured, I haven's gone for 30 years, why start now) :):D:laugh:

ApS 03-01-2021 07:10 AM

Bill Gates, Trying to Outdo Elon Musk...

Far out!

Bill Gates puts forward the concept of needles everywhere:
https://www.blacklistednews.com/arti...-you-with.html

GMO sucks, while GMM is the future of vaccines. ;)

fatlazyless 03-01-2021 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 351570)
However, out of an abundance of caution, I skipped going to the gym and working out yesterday. (I figured, I haven's gone for 30 years, why start now) :):D:laugh:

Pandemic home exercise:

What works really great as a home style physical fitness, at home exercise, during the pandemic when you don't want to hit the local gym is a 6-lb, $60, Health Hoops - Korean, weighted hula-hoop.

It strengthens the mid-section area; the abs, the lower back, the glutes, the hips and reduces size of your waist line. It is a cardio vascular work-out!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgAS6fhMZkw ....... weighted hula-hoop exercise with Heather.... :banana:

Plus, it is fun to do, with some good strong exercise music going on!

....... no pain ...... no gain! ..... :eek:

More energized, faster ..... www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAtGBG_7ICY ......... 'Hula Hoop Workout mit Regina Hickst' (in German)

FlyingScot 03-01-2021 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 351564)
When DES lets too much water out of the lake and I can't use my dock is that C or L? I don't really care. I'm just upset that they, a government agency, took x weeks out of my boating season.

When I go to Town Meeting, I see a lot of friends, some Dems, some Republicans. LOTS of undeclared. We all vote on what we think is best for the town. (Budget, tax rate) We all know what we think, independently. If you listen to Bret Baer or David Muir and vote accordingly, you aren't C or L, you're an idiot. Double that if your philosophy comes from a "national" newspaper, (NYT, LA times) exception granted to the Christian Science Monitor.
Getting honest information these days is a lot harder than it was a few years ago, pre-internet, pre 24 hour cable news, which is opinion pretending to be news.
For me, the Winnipesaukee Forum should be about peeing in Braun Bay and Milfoil in Back Bay, not conservative or liberal national politics.

I pretty much agree. My "political" posts are almost always in response to other posters' misinformation on COVID-19. (and BTW, it saddens me greatly that these things are used/viewed as political.) I write them because I think misinformation on the virus is really dangerous and needs to be stopped.

I also agree that people should not take their philosophy from newspapers. But one thing that the national newspapers have is a group of smart people working very hard to get the facts right and report the news (leaving aside their articles labelled "Opinion"). This is not the case on a huge number of other sources. We should all be working to distinguish reliable sources from unreliable.

DEJ 03-01-2021 09:38 AM

"But one thing that the national newspapers have is a group of smart people working very hard to get the facts right and report the news"

Sorry to disagree with you, IMO most national news papers rarely print facts, they print mostly their left or right leaning opinion.

Descant 03-01-2021 12:55 PM

Vaccinations

Ja notice? The papers haven't been reporting all those horrible numbers of flu deaths and hospitalizations as they do most years. In this case, they got it right. Virtually nobody got the flu this year. Great vaccine last fall? Masks and social distancing? Same thing for the common cold. Nobody went to school or work with a cold this year. Presumably, future corporate policies will encourage remote work instead of "using up a sick day" or a vacation day. If we can keep some of these lessons in place instead of returning to "normal" we may have a big step forward in public health.

upthesaukee 03-01-2021 01:32 PM

Maybe

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 351582)
Ja notice? The papers haven't been reporting all those horrible numbers of flu deaths and hospitalizations as they do most years. In this case, they got it right. Virtually nobody got the flu this year. Great vaccine last fall? Masks and social distancing? Same thing for the common cold. Nobody went to school or work with a cold this year. Presumably, future corporate policies will encourage remote work instead of "using up a sick day" or a vacation day. If we can keep some of these lessons in place instead of returning to "normal" we may have a big step forward in public health.

When I had my annual exam at the end of January, my provider said they had not had one case of the flu in the office this year. I asked her what her thoughts were on why. She said perhaps an effective vaccine, but more likely all the COVID precautions: wearing masks, not gathering in large groups, sanitation. Seems reasonable to me.

Dave

Mr. V 03-01-2021 02:26 PM

Logically, there is little flu or colds due to three thngs: social distancing, masking, school closures.

As far as exercise, since the health and fitness center I attended is unavailable I walk more, do a bit more yoga (esp. plank, to strengthen the core) and I do a ten to fifteen minute workout daily with a six pound hand weight, doing about eight different reps of forty each, targeting different muscle groups.

I do this twice a day, in the morning and at night while walking / taking my midnight constitutional.

But despite my best efforts I've put on some unwanted pounds since Covid-19 arose, dang it.

rick35 03-02-2021 09:57 PM

My wife and I got our second shots today in Nashua. There was a pretty long line but we were in and out in about 90 minutes. The Guard and Nashua Fire did a great job keeping the line moving. People were patient and waited their turns. Except for one guy. He passed about 20 cars on the left and then cut into the line where someone was nice enough to let him. We formed two lines and crept up to the registration point and this guy ended up right next to me. I could overhear the discussion and he said he didn't get a confirmation and after a couple of more questions it sure sounded like he didn't have an appointment. They let him register anyway and took him aside to do it. Just when I was I was thinking he was an AH for cutting in line he pulled that. Some people! Anyway, be patient when it's your turn and hope that there aren't too many more AHs out there.

tummyman 03-02-2021 10:28 PM

Got our 2nd dose today in Concord at old Sears store. Wife was my Plus 1 for the shot. They moved this site indoors yesterday. Lots of people continually arriving for vaccine. Nat'l Guard did a terrific job as usual and the Concord Fire Dept. was all around the place watching folks to be sure they were OK. Total elapsed time from when we stepped into the building until we went out the door was 30 minutes including the 15 minute safety wait at the end. Everyone was so nice and the efficiency of the process was top notch. THANK YOU to all ! By noon, they thought they had given more than 600 shots...unofficially for sure. People getting first shots all got Pfizer today and those who got the second (like us) got the same brand of shot as their first...in our case Moderna. Makes us proud to be NH residents to see how we are being cared for in this COVID mess !! The shooting gallery folks are really trying hard.

DRH 03-05-2021 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tummyman (Post 351631)
Got our 2nd dose today in Concord at old Sears store. Wife was my Plus 1 for the shot. They moved this site indoors yesterday. Lots of people continually arriving for vaccine. Nat'l Guard did a terrific job as usual and the Concord Fire Dept. was all around the place watching folks to be sure they were OK. Total elapsed time from when we stepped into the building until we went out the door was 30 minutes including the 15 minute safety wait at the end. Everyone was so nice and the efficiency of the process was top notch. THANK YOU to all ! By noon, they thought they had given more than 600 shots...unofficially for sure. People getting first shots all got Pfizer today and those who got the second (like us) got the same brand of shot as their first...in our case Moderna. Makes us proud to be NH residents to see how we are being cared for in this COVID mess !! The shooting gallery folks are really trying hard.

Quilt Lady and I had the same positive experience at the old Sears store in Concord today when we got our second Moderna COVID shots. No lines, very efficient and friendly National Guardsmen (and women), and Bow and Concord Fire Department paramedics. We were in and out in 30 minutes. Thanks to all who worked hard to make this process work so well!

FlyingScot 03-05-2021 11:15 PM

3 hours 46 minutes spread over 3 separate phone calls to get appointments at Fenway for my father-in-law and me (as his +1), but scored slots for March 15--YAY!

A long morning, but I did this at a time when the website said they were completely sold out. If you're in Mass, dial in when you have a bunch of work and or entertainment lined up while you wait.

thinkxingu 03-06-2021 05:30 AM

"To align with Biden's federal directive," teachers in MA will be added to the state mix via mass vax centers on the 11th but are currently open through the federal mix at private providers like CVS. It appears NH will not be changing the rollout order.

The last couple mornings, as early as 5AM, the text threads and halls of my schools have been lit up by "sit tight, and we'll bring you to the scheduling process shortly" screens. Absolutely dystopian, which is perfect since I'm currently teaching Brave New World.

I started my process at the house at 5:30 and kept it live for the drive to school. At 8:15, I moved to the next step...only to find there were no longer any appointments left without driving to Provincetown.

Honestly, I'm not terribly frustrated as I know there's just so many people in line and, since all those in my life are cautious or already vaccinated (a few weeks too late for my MIL) and the numbers have dropped post-holidays, I can be patient. And, in thinking about this for an extra beat, maybe grateful I'll more than likely get the single J&J.

UPDATE: secured two appointments just after this post for the 9th and 30th. Double shots, but close to school. [emoji1696]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

FlyingScot 03-06-2021 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 351752)

UPDATE: secured two appointments just after this post for the 9th and 30th. Double shots, but close to school. [emoji1696]

Congrats, Think!

Completely crazy and wrong that we've given the housebound vaccines before those we insist come to work to teach our kids or stock our grocery shelves

DEJ 03-06-2021 10:06 AM

My opinion

I think the shots should be given by age group since older folks weather housebound or not are allot more likely to die if infected. That would eliminate all this stuff that someone is more important than someone else. Just my humble opinion.

thinkxingu 03-06-2021 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEJ (Post 351758)
I think the shots should be given by age group since older folks weather housebound or not are allot more likely to die if infected. That would eliminate all this stuff that someone is more important than someone else. Just my humble opinion.

Given the statistics, I agree with age and comorbidities defining the order and, at least in my circles, teachers are fine with that. The only real issue revolves around the push to get back to full in-person instruction, which would reduce or remove some CDC mitigations. For example, MA appears to be moving towards using the WHO distance of 3' to rationalize going back full (which I'm still not confident we can do). That, the resulting class sizes, and the new, more transmittable, variants have many concerned.

FlyingScot 03-06-2021 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 351760)
Given the statistics, I agree with age and comorbidities defining the order and, at least in my circles, teachers are fine with that. The only real issue revolves around the push to get back to full in-person instruction, which would reduce or remove some CDC mitigations. For example, MA appears to be moving towards using the WHO distance of 3' to rationalize going back full (which I'm still not confident we can do). That, the resulting class sizes, and the new, more transmittable, variants have many concerned.

Yes--this is a more specific form of my point. The government is insisting, or is about to insist, that teachers return to work in person, it should be protecting them.

My son has been forced (or at least coerced) to work in person. A sister-in-law is now home for a week after one of her students exposed her. My parents, whom we as a society have asked nothing except to stay home, were among the first in line.

DickR 03-06-2021 12:13 PM

Wife and I had Laconia appts for end of March. Late Wednesday I got a call from the state, offering us an early Friday afternoon shot at Walgreen in Wolfeboro, indoors, so I said yes. The second shot was scheduled for early April at the same time. The guy who called actually works for the state DOT, not DHHS, and was doing calls for just Walgreen. I gather the state is using whatever resources are at hand to make calls to fill in open slots and move people up.

In and out inside a half hour, including the "paperwork," the shots, and the 15-minute hang-around afterward. The shot was Moderna. I often get a nervous reaction to any needle in the upper arm, but I was surprised. The shot went off quickly and without any real discomfort. The afternoon passed without thinking much about it, but at bedtime I did notice discomfort if I tried sleeping on that shoulder. This morning both of us have some minor soreness in the area, but it won't keep me from normal activity.

At Walgreen, I asked about how many shots they give in a day. They said about 40, but that the operation there was not as big as at other stores. On reading about today's huge effort at the speedway, hoping to administer 11,000 shots over three eight-hour days. I got to thinking about the numbers. With an assembly line style of process, with multiple volunteers passing a steady stream of people through the various steps in multiple parallel streams, things could go faster.

Suppose each shot station could pass one person through every four minutes, considering time to get the needle out and ready, sit the person down, shoot, and apply bandaid if needed. That's 15/hour, or conceivably up to maybe 100 per day, with breaks. Dividing, 11,000/3 days by 100 means there would have to be around 37 people actually giving the shots. Quadruple that for volunteers on either side of the shot, including traffic control, and you'd need at least 150 people to staff the event. The WMUR news item speaks of having 300 volunteers, so maybe they have many more than 37 actually jabbing arms, taking longer per shot, or perhaps there are many more involved in traffic control and sign-in.

The state has somewhat over a million residents age 18 and up. If the goal is to vaccinate at least 80% of these, that's 800,000. It would take 218 days or 31 weeks of "speedway class events" to do the job. Obviously the speedway event will provide just a small fraction of the required number of shots. There must be many more of those, and still most of the shots will be given cumulatively by all the original 13 state sites and now many pharmacies and big-box stores. And NH is a fairly small state. Run your own numbers for a state like NY or CA.

DEJ 03-06-2021 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 351762)
My parents, whom we as a society have asked nothing except to stay home, were among the first in line.

I am glad they were because if they were to be infected they would have a much greater chance to die from this virus.

Sue Doe-Nym 03-06-2021 01:17 PM

We are getting there...👍

I am ecstatic that the teachers are being vaccinated because we can get everyone back into the classroom! It’s so sad...tragic...that so many young people have been so negatively impacted by the remote learning. I am also very relieved that our daughter, a Florida teacher who has been IN the classroom since September 1st is scheduled for the vaccine next week. I am happy for you also, Think.

Paugus Bay Resident 03-06-2021 04:57 PM

2nd one for me and first one for my wife yesterday. I got Moderna, she got Pfizer. The vaccine center at the former Sears was well run, we were in and out in under an hour. The National Guard and Bow paramedics couldn't have been nicer and more professional.

JEEPONLY 03-07-2021 12:17 PM

Yesterday's after 3:00pm shot went fine. LRGH.
We each got our second Moderna. Even though we had individual cards from the first shot, iI was not listed on the second-shot schedule- no problem- a few tickles on the 'puter keys and all was good to go.
Only immediately reaction was soreness at the injection site. This morning- lazy feeling and a fairly sore lower back. Not incapacitating, but worth a few more moments in bed!

WinnisquamZ 03-07-2021 12:59 PM

FYI. Patrick’s Pub closed today due to a positive among the staff

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

TheTimeTraveler 03-09-2021 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEEPONLY (Post 351820)
Yesterday's after 3:00pm shot went fine. LRGH.
We each got our second Moderna. Even though we had individual cards from the first shot, iI was not listed on the second-shot schedule- no problem- a few tickles on the 'puter keys and all was good to go.
Only immediately reaction was soreness at the injection site. This morning- lazy feeling and a fairly sore lower back. Not incapacitating, but worth a few more moments in bed!

Had the same reaction issues. Took 2 Advil tablets and the problem disappeared.

thinkxingu 03-09-2021 04:06 PM

Jab #1 today. Pfizer. CVS was perfect and in/out in 20 minutes—5 for the check-in and shot, 15 for the wait time to make sure I wasn't to replicate I Am Legend.

Jab #2 is on 3/30, and it appears that most of the same people—almost exclusively teachers—will be there at the same time for a sweet reunion.

DEJ 03-09-2021 05:24 PM

I am happy for you and your fellow teachers think so please do not take this personal, just food for thought here. 95 percent of COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. have occurred among people who were 50 or older. This even though the majority of coronavirus cases have been reported in people under age 50. That is from AARP.

So more people under age 50 get infected but the number of deaths drops significantly below 50. I ask why do we as a society place a teacher who is 30, 35, 40, 45 years old etc... in line for the vaccine in front of a non teacher who is 50+ and has a greater chance to succumb to this virus if infected? I realize getting the kids back in school is important but is it more important than saving lives of older people? Could those teacher CVS shots been better allocated? Look forward to responses.

thinkxingu 03-09-2021 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEJ (Post 351912)
I am happy for you and your fellow teachers think so please do not take this personal, just food for thought here. 95 percent of COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. have occurred among people who were 50 or older. This even though the majority of coronavirus cases have been reported in people under age 50. That is from AARP.

So more people under age 50 get infected but the number of deaths drops significantly below 50. I ask why do we as a society place a teacher who is 30, 35, 40, 45 years old etc... in line for the vaccine in front of a non teacher who is 50+ and has a greater chance to succumb to this virus if infected? I realize getting the kids back in school is important but is it more important than saving lives of older people? Could those teacher CVS shots been better allocated? Look forward to responses.

Fair question, for sure. As I see it, there are two reasons. First, the numbers of people I will protect by being vaccinated is much higher than young(er) groups that either work remotely or see fewer people. For example, on a given day I'm exposed to at least 45 people directly and up to 600 indirectly. My 50-year-old friend working remotely is exposed to zero. When he goes into work with the skeleton crew, he's exposed to, at most, four or five.

The second is the impact that remote schooling has had on many children. In-short, it's horrible for social and emotional health. The quickest and safest way to get back to the classroom is through school personnel vaccination (don't forget bus drivers, custodians, etc.).

EDIT: after writing my response, I happened upon this: https://www.edweek.org/teaching-lear...accine/2021/02

DEJ 03-10-2021 04:35 AM

I guess I see it differently. It is very important to get the kids back in school for sure but at what cost. Your 50 year old friend is not exposed to zero, less for sure but not zero. He goes to work with a skeleton crew so he is exposed and if he gets the virus has a higher probability to perish.

As I mentioned in an earlier post we should have left it by age group, period, not by occupation. The teachers union held the country hostage till they got their way for it's members IMO.

thinkxingu 03-10-2021 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEJ (Post 351921)
I guess I see it differently. It is very important to get the kids back in school for sure but at what cost. Your 50 year old friend is not exposed to zero, less for sure but not zero. He goes to work with a skeleton crew so he is exposed and if he gets the virus has a higher probability to perish.

As I mentioned in an earlier post we should have left it by age group, period, not by occupation. The teachers union held the country hostage till they got their way for it's members IMO.

You assume I'm not 50 as well, like the 1/3+ teachers who are.

I'm not sure there's a right answer, but I'm glad I'll have a little protection in a few weeks since we're about to double my level of exposure when schools go back full.

DEJ 03-10-2021 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 351922)
You assume I'm not 50 as well, like the 1/3+ teachers who are.

I am not assuming anything about you, this is not about you. It is about folks under the age of 50 getting vaccinated ahead of those in our society who are more susceptible to die from this virus, it is that simple. There is a right answer and that is vaccinate by age groups, period. Health care workers who take care of covid patients excluded obviously.

thinkxingu 03-10-2021 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEJ (Post 351923)
I am not assuming anything about you, this is not about you. It is about folks under the age of 50 getting vaccinated ahead of those in our society who are more susceptible to die from this virus, it is that simple. There is a right answer and that is vaccinate by age groups, period. Health care workers who take care of covid patients excluded obviously.

There are absolutely situational factors that would override age for vaccination. You point that out yourself with your note about healthcare workers. Nurses and doctors (and, in NH, ski patrollers) who don't work directly with Covid patients were still vaccinated first—regardless of age—because of the potential for increased exposure.

The threshold for that exposure vs. age is beyond my pay grade, but teachers are going in to schools every day with Covid positive people, and I'm glad to have some safety net against that.