Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Covid-19 Discussions & Information (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Vaccinations (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26664)

Sue Doe-Nym 01-27-2021 06:40 PM

NH to Florida?

Does anyone know whether or not it’s possible to receive the second shot in another state? We have shuffled flights around and hope to have both shots by early March, but if that’s not the case, does anyone have any knowledge about this? Can you do #1 in NH, #2 elsewhere? Thanks.

TheTimeTraveler 01-27-2021 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym (Post 349887)
Does anyone know whether or not it’s possible to receive the second shot in another state? We have shuffled flights around and hope to have both shots by early March, but if that’s not the case, does anyone have any knowledge about this? Can you do #1 in NH, #2 elsewhere? Thanks.

I can't tell you for a fact, but I believe it would be extremely difficult. It's hard enough getting the first shot in your home state, but imagine how tough it would be to obtain a second shot in a location where you didn't get your first shot.....

Some States are requiring Driver's Licenses to prove identity and qualify for their eligibility in the State in question.

TheTimeTraveler 01-27-2021 07:18 PM

By the way, Florida WAS providing Vaccine shots to anyone over 65 (which included tourists and visitors), but NO MORE. That has now stopped.

You have to either live there year 'round, or have seasonal residency and can provide Florida utility bills (mailed to your Florida address) and the Florida deed.

Sue Doe-Nym 01-27-2021 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler (Post 349889)
I can't tell you for a fact, but I believe it would be extremely difficult. It's hard enough getting the first shot in your home state, but imagine how tough it would be to obtain a second shot in a location where you didn't get your first shot.....

Some States are requiring Driver's Licenses to prove identity and qualify for their eligibility in the State in question.

Thank you. As snowbirds who own property in FL, that might make a difference, hopefully. Otherwise, going for a later date on #2 wouldn’t be ideal, but might be better than nothing, i. e., 50-60 days between shots.

rick35 01-27-2021 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smith point boater (Post 349882)
I should have also mentioned that when you and a spouse/partner are arriving together the person who is the "ad -on" is not on any list. Even though you entered their name at time of registration the National Guard ha no knowledge of the 2nd person coming. Its not a problem in that they were very good at re-registering spouse but you need to have a smart phone and capable of receiving an email on site. It is the cause of most of the delays we experienced. They were 45 min behind when we arrived.

I registered on Friday but my wife received her referral on Saturday so we weren't able to register together. My appointment is next week and hers is in April. She called today and was told she can get her shot with me. I would think it should be easy where she is already registered.

Steveo 01-28-2021 08:26 AM

Cancellation due to weather

Fortunately I am scheduled for vaccine next Tuesday, unfortunately it is suppose to snow. Does anyone know if they will cancel appointments due to weather or if they do will you have to get another appointment months out.

I don't think it was real smart making all vaccine sites outdoors.

JEEPONLY 01-28-2021 11:53 AM

Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 349820)
When we signed up, there was a drop down menu with the "within 10 miles" option visible. Our 3 options were Huggins, Belmont, and Laconia. Belmont was at Lakes Region Community College, and Laconia was LRGH (for LRGH employees only)

We were not sure where we would be directed initially, and we were ready to expand our search criteria to find a place to offer liking. Our daughter works for Huggins and she didn't know when they would be starting the injections.

Fortunately the two options met our needs right up front. Sorry you had problems.

Dave

I don't see how Huggins, Belmont and Laconia fall into a 10 mile radius (maybe Belmont and Laconia), but I guess I missed that menu- Huggins is easily 35 miles from me (Meredith)- got directed to Belmont.

Also- is there any set-up/protocol for necessitating getting the same "maker" shot as a second dose?

Newbiesaukee 01-28-2021 12:21 PM

The current recommendation is the same vaccine for the second shot. I am certain they are set up for this.

Slickcraft 01-28-2021 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee (Post 349928)
The current recommendation is the same vaccine for the second shot. I am certain they are set up for this.

Yes you will get a card specifying the date and which vaccine you got. That will also be entered into the CDC system. On getting the second dose the card will be updated.

winni83 01-28-2021 01:31 PM

Kudos to Huggins Hospital

My wife and I just received our first Covid shot at Huggins Hospital. The entire process was extremely well managed. Appointment times were spot on, even a little earlier than scheduled. A rear area of the hospital has space dedicated to the process. Everything is done inside, no waiting in your car or getting a shot in your car. Individual rooms for the administration of the shot and a separate waiting area with a staff member present for 15 minutes to make sure there is no reaction. Huggins even makes the next appointment for the second shot while you are in the waiting area. For us, it is exactly 28 days and back to Huggins. We had expected real problems getting the second dose scheduled so we were very pleasantly surprised.

Slickcraft 01-28-2021 05:12 PM

I just received both a text and an email from the state of NH (Brian Eaton) asking if I successfully obtained an appointment, yes or no. And if no, what is the best email to reach me at.
Looks like NH is trying to be proactive.

rick35 01-28-2021 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steveo (Post 349908)
Fortunately I am scheduled for vaccine next Tuesday, unfortunately it is suppose to snow. Does anyone know if they will cancel appointments due to weather or if they do will you have to get another appointment months out.

I don't think it was real smart making all vaccine sites outdoors.

I don't think the National Guard gets snow days. And I think this is important enough for us to brave the elements. I was thinking how much I appreciate that they spend hours in the cold for us and when I heard snow was coming it only adds to my gratitude. We'll be there too on Tuesday. Drive carefully and make sure to say thanks and God bless!

upthesaukee 01-28-2021 10:04 PM

Same thing

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slickcraft (Post 349942)
I just received both a text and an email from the state of NH (Brian Eaton) asking if I successfully obtained an appointment, yes or no. And if no, what is the best email to reach me at.
Looks like NH is trying to be proactive.

Same thing with us. Feeling optimistic.

Dave

WinnisquamZ 01-30-2021 12:03 PM

Boston rep tests positive after getting 2nd dose. I find it discouraging the local news outlets dropped this story before it got legs

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2021/01/...-for-covid-19/

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Sue Doe-Nym 01-30-2021 01:15 PM

Interesting possibility....

Interesting conversation with representative making appointments this morning. She said that it’s very important to not have the second shot before the recommended time frame, BUT it can be received well AFTER the recommended schedule as it’s basically a booster shot. I am not sure that’s a terrific idea, but if you need to wait 60-70 days between shots, maybe it’s not a big deal. Physicians?

winni83 01-30-2021 01:48 PM

Sue

I think there is significant doubt about going much more than a few days beyond the recommended time schedule. See

https://wmur.com/article/dhmc-epidem...apart/35368501

See also about new appointments for second doses on Tuesday

https://wmur.com/article/new-appoint...lable/35368012

FlyingScot 01-30-2021 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 350000)
Boston rep tests positive after getting 2nd dose. I find it discouraging the local news outlets dropped this story before it got legs

Bummer--I hope he remains OK.

We should expect a significant number of these stories. The vaccines are only 90 or 95% effective. Those are great odds for any individual, but with millions vaccinated, we will see a significant number of vaccinated people get sick, especially during the early days while the virus is still raging

WinnisquamZ 01-30-2021 02:55 PM

As noted, the vaccines, in theory, keep you from getting very ill. It doesn’t keep you from getting it or testing positive. With that said I ask the question, will you be able to fly, go back to work or school if you have been vaccinated and test positive?

Newbiesaukee 01-30-2021 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym (Post 350003)
Interesting conversation with representative making appointments this morning. She said that it’s very important to not have the second shot before the recommended time frame, BUT it can be received well AFTER the recommended schedule as it’s basically a booster shot. I am not sure that’s a terrific idea, but if you need to wait 60-70 days between shots, maybe it’s not a big deal. Physicians?

Please see my post #116 and #119. Basically, the representative was correct but misleading. No one really knows what happens if your 2nd shot is given more than 4 weeks after the Moderna first shot. The rep was given a CYA script.

On the other hand, NH folks who have gotten their first shot and been given a second appointment which stretch any reasonable guidelines have gotten an email from the state stating that if you wish to reschedule your 2nd shot it can be done and you are given instructions how to do it. This is only for those who have gotten first shot.

The state is really trying to do the right thing.

FlyingScot 01-30-2021 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 350009)
As noted, the vaccines, in theory, keep you from getting very ill. It doesn’t keep you from getting it or testing positive. With that said I ask the question, will you be able to fly, go back to work or school if you have been vaccinated and test positive?

When you say "keep you from getting...", that's not quite how this works, except in the case of a vaccine that is 100% effective. The vaccines reduced the study participants chance of infection by 94% or so compared to a placebo. Which means you are WAY less likely to become positive than you would otherwise be. But full protection requires a huge number of people to get vaccinated along with you.

WinnisquamZ 01-30-2021 04:43 PM

Yup. Herd immunity is needed for everyone to move forward.

mswlogo 01-30-2021 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 350000)

You do know what 95% effective means, right?

That means 1 in 20 can still get infected !!!
So why is this such shocking news?

I'm glad the story didn't get legs, because it shouldn't.

It's all about statistics. If we all get the vaccine (or most of us), the virus will burn itself out. Because the vaccine will have a lower infection rate. But it won't be zero and there are tons of infected people walking around right now. In time there won't be. You need to look at it from a population point of view. Not individual infections.

This is why you still need to still wear masks and keep your guard up before and after you get the vaccine.

WinnisquamZ 01-30-2021 06:43 PM

Excellent, we understand each other. Herd immunity is the only way we move forward. By the way the new J&J one shot vaccine only has a 66% efficacy. So you are asking to have everyone vaccinated and everyone wear a mask until when?

mswlogo 01-30-2021 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 350026)
Excellent, we understand each other. Herd immunity is the only way we move forward. By the way the new J&J one shot vaccine only has a 66% efficacy. So you are asking to have everyone vaccinated and everyone wear a mask until when?

I haven't run the numbers through the supercomputer models just yet.

But 95% sure sounds a lot better than 66%, doesn't it?

BTW, India expects to vaccinate 300 million by summer. Impressive, right?
At that rate it will take them 2 years to cover their population of 1.366 Billion !!

The other risks is poor countries don't have the infrastructure to get their population vaccinated.

If the "fire" is not put out QUICKLY, WORLD WIDE, it may mutate and the vaccines become ineffective and we start all over. Which might have already started.

We still have a ways to go here.

loonguy 01-30-2021 11:30 PM

We are scheduled for Huggins Hospital February 19 and are wondering which vaccine we are likely to receive. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

winni83 01-31-2021 08:01 AM

Our first shot at Huggins on 1/28 was Moderna and the second on 2/25 will be Moderna also. Do not know if that means that they always use Moderna.

rick35 01-31-2021 09:02 AM

Weather may impact vaccine distribution if NH follows what other states are doing. Some MD and PA sites are rescheduling Monday and Tuesday appointments to Wednesday or later due to travel safety concerns. One site is telling people to arrive on Wednesday at the same time. So that means there will be twice as many people in line. Hopefully NH will make an announcement soon so we can alter plans. We'll get through it.

rick35 01-31-2021 01:44 PM

Our Tuesday appointment was rescheduled to Monday at the same time because of the bad weather. I received an email from the State which I then had to accept.

Steveo 01-31-2021 03:08 PM

Rescheduled

Our Tuesday was also rescheduled to Monday. We got an email and a live phone call as well. NH doing it right. I think they keep each Monday open for such situations.

bobkatfly 01-31-2021 03:48 PM

Laconia LRCC

Any comments about LRCC? Which vaccine and are they making follow-ups during first visit?

tummyman 02-01-2021 12:14 PM

Received our shots...wife and me...at Plymouth this am...8:10 appointment. Received teh Moderna vaccine. The National Guard had the process totally under full control. Smooth as silk. Soldier who gave us our shots was actually Air Force from Pease. They were kind, efficient, knowledgeable, and totally efficient. After a brief checkin with ID, they directed us to a numbered parking spot....about 5 people just doing traffic contol. We waited a few minutes and then teh shots arrived. Quick. Then they had us turn on our 4way flashers so they knew we had received the shot....if a car does not have the flashers on, then they know who needs the shot. Had at least 4 people doing the actual vaccinations. Waited 15 minutes, then on our way. Total elapsed time was about 30 minutes overall. Also had an EMT from a local ambulance service on site and walking around if anyone had an issue. Totally safe !!!!!! We should all be grateful to have such nice Mat'l Guard young people...neighbors helping neighbors... to help in this pandemic. Our hats off to all. Now we are supposed to get an email later today to set up the next shot. I would not expect early as I assume that until they turn in a list of recipients first. Again, our thanks to the Nat'l Guard and the entire state government for a terrific well managed experience. The rest of the country should take notice !!!

rick35 02-01-2021 02:09 PM

I read an article online today that one city reached out to the local Chick Fil A manager to fix their vaccination line. They do know how to move people along.

tummyman 02-02-2021 09:18 AM

After being very thankful yesterday,. today (Tuesday) was the day. we could sign up for a second dose appointment in VAMS, starting at 8AM. The state claimed many new appointments would be available and that we should not have to wait more than a few days after the mandatory wait times. Also, we should go back to hte same site we got the first shot. Well, all that information seems totally false. No appointments available unless 60 days out. No appointments at the site we got the first shot...Plymouth. As a mater of fact, it is not even a choice. So the whole plan has fallen apart !!!!!!

Newbiesaukee 02-02-2021 10:46 AM

Same problem trying to get 2nd shot.NH sent a subsequent email saying they are adding slots all the time so keep trying. Problem is, you need to cancel to get a new one which is later than your previous one. I understand the need to cancel but then u are tying up spots you can’t use and others could.

It is not necessary to return to first site to get your second...but nothing available in 50 mile radius to get a 2nd shot faster than 6.5 weeks after first....now I’m into April.

I guess I’ll go make another appointment for 2nd shot I can’t keep. A lose-lose proposition.

Sue Doe-Nym 02-02-2021 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee (Post 350196)
Same problem trying to get 2nd shot.NH sent a subsequent email saying they are adding slots all the time so keep trying. Problem is, you need to cancel to get a new one which is later than your previous one. I understand the need to cancel but then u are tying up spots you can’t use and others could.

It is not necessary to return to first site to get your second...but nothing available in 50 mile radius to get a 2nd shot faster than 6.5 weeks after first....now I’m into April.

I guess I’ll go make another appointment for 2nd shot I can’t keep. A lose-lose proposition.

That’s really very sad....hopefully they will fix the problems soon. It’s more than a little bit unsettling to be unable to follow CDC guidelines re 2nd shot time frame through no fault of your own. Maybe waiting 60+ days won’t make a difference, but maybe it reduces the efficacy of the first....who knows?

winniplayhouse 02-02-2021 11:19 AM

I know multiple people who cancelled and rebooked a handful of times and eventually got slots much better than their first ones. It's true that they seem to be constantly adding new slots so you have to keep checking. Which is super annoying, especially for people who are trying to work today as well.

winniplayhouse 02-02-2021 11:21 AM

Also, the system will physically allow you to book slots BEFORE the recommended wait time between doses (21 days for Pfizer and 28 for Moderna) and I know a few people who accidentally booked too early and had to rebook.

rick35 02-02-2021 11:28 AM

We received our first shots yesterday and was told to book our second shots for around March first. The vams system only shows dates beginning Apr 3rd. I called 211 and was told they're trying to fix the system and to keep trying. If that doesn't work I was told to call and they'll schedule us manually. I couldn't do that today because that system isn't working either. Sounds like NH is trying to keep with the manufacturer recommended dates but CDC says it can be longer.

tummyman 02-02-2021 11:32 AM

Finally got through on the call line after an hour on hold. Was told book anything that i could and they would get back to me with other options. Really??? Why didn't they just plug in a second appointmeny when we got the shot. The state claimed lots of slots available and most would get the shots around or slightly after the time frame. Person told me to just book anything. So instead of Plymouth, we are at Exeter NH...over 50 miles away on April 3rd....60 days after first shot vs 28 recommended. The whole process just collapsed! No answers from state. Useless web site.

winni83 02-02-2021 12:16 PM

I do not understand how the NH and VAMS systems are unable to confirm second shots within the required window when Huggins Hospital was able to give us a written confirmed appointment exactly 28 days from our first shot while we were in the waiting area for the required 15 minutes after the first shot. Now our second appointment does not show up on the VAMS website, but Huggins specifically told us that we are all set and that we SHOULD NOT try to book or confirm a second shot on the VAMS website.