Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Covid-19 Discussions & Information (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Vaccinations (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26664)

gillygirl 08-02-2021 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot (Post 359843)
Makes no sense. They were the "Trump Vaccines" to begin with, so anyone that wanted one had ample opportunity to receive one when Trump was in office. I'm not the one saying that unvaccinated illegals are coming into the country. On the contrary, it's the State of Texas that's saying it as per the official letter that they sent to the Attorney General of the United States. My point is that, on the one hand, there is a major push on American citizens to get this vaccine, but there is little to no push on illegal aliens to get the vaccine. Just shining a light on the hypocrisy. If it were really such a problem, then one would think that masks, testing and vaccines would be mandatory for the thousands that are migrating across the southern border.

Actually, research on SARS and MERS have been going on for nearly two decades, so it’s not really Trump vaccines. Basic knowledge was already well understood.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Biggd 08-02-2021 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKD (Post 359892)
By end to this, I hope you mean this impossibly long thread

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

No, I meant this horrible virus.
It's a shame that this virus has become so political that we can't eradicate it even though we have the vaccines to do so.
I'm sure if Trump won a second term it would be the democrats that would be the ones refusing to get vaccinate.
The left don't trust the right and right don't trust the left but the answer is always within reach somewhere in the middle.

ApS 08-02-2021 07:33 PM

A 3rd Jab Will Do Ya...

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 359836)
More "Facts as we know them":

A person's expected health and life expectancy, and that of their loved ones, are much better if you get a shot.

ApS posts on the vaccine are full of misdirection, misinformation, and outright falsehoods

From that Mountain of Truth known as HuffPost (which hasn't been deplatformed by Google): :rolleye2:

Quote:

"Israel has rolled out its third dose of Pfizer's COVID vaccine for people over the age of 60. Dozens of people got dose number three in Tel Aviv on Sunday. Each person who got the booster shot had their second Pfizer shot at least five months ago. The plan to administer a third vaccine dose was announced last week. A panel of pandemic experts suggested a third shot was needed because the vaccine's effectiveness has appeared to wane as the delta variant spreads across the world."
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/israe...b0048f361d7a07

John Mercier 08-02-2021 07:51 PM

We know that older people, in general, have weaker immune systems.
They protect coverage would fail sooner than others, and unlike the US, Israel does not want to wait for the hospitalizations and deaths to occur.

John Mercier 08-02-2021 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 359903)
No, I meant this horrible virus.
It's a shame that this virus has become so political that we can't eradicate it even though we have the vaccines to do so.
I'm sure if Trump won a second term it would be the democrats that would be the ones refusing to get vaccinate.
The left don't trust the right and right don't trust the left but the answer is always within reach somewhere in the middle.

We don't technically have the means to eradicate it.
Since after vaccination, I can still harbor and transmit the virus... it isn't eradicated... just made less harmful to me because of my vaccine.

Over time, it will just separate out the various factions of our society.
Very natural, just not always life and death.

TKD 08-03-2021 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee (Post 359893)
As I understand it, no one is compelled to read this “impossibly long thread.”

Nor is anyone compelled to post over 1200 times. #letitgo

thinkxingu 08-03-2021 04:36 AM

I was in Lowe's in Gilford yesterday when the associates all got a corporate memo that "masks were back." School systems are now moving towards masking again in fall. Many people are making in grocery stores, restaurants, etc. again. I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty confident we could've been done with all this if people. Had. Just. Gotten. Vaccinated. Search: "regret for not getting vaccinated."

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Newbiesaukee 08-03-2021 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKD (Post 359912)
Nor is anyone compelled to post over 1200 times. #letitgo

I can almost always “let things go,” but my 1200 posts have been over 17 years. My best posts are the ones I have deleted after writing them and I may do that with this one.

I really appreciate your concern for my mental health.

And welcome to the Forum.

thinkxingu 08-03-2021 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee (Post 359920)
I can almost always “let things go,” but my 1200 posts have been over 17 years. My best posts are the ones I have deleted after writing them and I may do that with this one.

I really appreciate your concern for my mental health.

And welcome to the Forum.

Please don't. As I messaged you some months back, you've always been an awesome contributor—level, thoughtful, candid, and honest.

If anyone should take flack about post count, it's me. Bring it on TKD!

ApS 08-03-2021 06:56 AM

Poisoning The Wells...?

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 359845)
It's amazing the way you inject politics and completely ignore/change history.

The vaccines were not available to most adults until March or April of 2021. (Trump was gone by then--remember?)

Biden and Co have been doing everything they can to get them into anyone who will take one. This is in the face of a huge number of Republicans doing things which will slow acceptance (Open any news source you'd like.)

Reutters is a news source I like! ;)

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN25X01L

gillygirl 08-03-2021 07:07 AM

Vaccinations

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 359924)
Reutters is a news source I like! ;)

On this we can agree, if you’re serious. Least biased and highly factual content.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

FlyingScot 08-03-2021 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 359903)

I don't think that's quite fair. The Democrats are not perfect and do not have a monopoly on the truth, but they have been the most aggressive about anti-covid measures the entire time--social distancing, masks, various shut downs, etc. Republicans have often resisted all of these things, including in this forum.

We can debate which side is right, but let's not use one side's actions to paint the other

John Mercier 08-03-2021 08:01 AM

Considering neither side actually developed the vaccines... I really don't think it matters.

Seaplane Pilot 08-03-2021 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 359845)
It's amazing the way you inject politics and completely ignore/change history.

The vaccines were not available to most adults until March or April of 2021. (Trump was gone by then--remember?)

Biden and Co have been doing everything they can to get them into anyone who will take one. This is in the face of a huge number of Republicans doing things which will slow acceptance (Open any news source you'd like.)

Actually, vaccines were rolled out and available in December 2020. Trump was still president.

Seaplane Pilot 08-03-2021 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 359914)
I was in Lowe's in Gilford yesterday when the associates all got a corporate memo that "masks were back." School systems are now moving towards masking again in fall. Many people are making in grocery stores, restaurants, etc. again. I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty confident we could've been done with all this if people. Had. Just. Gotten. Vaccinated. Search: "regret for not getting vaccinated."

There’s only one thing I have to say about the vaccines:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=97du1N7Znb0

SailinAway 08-03-2021 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot (Post 359825)
I have more faith in the US Postal Service than the CDC to provide better information about Corona. CDC are the epitome of incompetence. In addition, when the “Administration” stops letting thousands of sick and unvaccinated illegal aliens into this country, then maybe “vaccinate hesitancy” may decrease.

Trump's policy on limiting migration is still in place and the CDC agrees with you. From today's New York Times:

"With the number of migrants crossing the southern border surging and the pandemic proving to be far from over, the Biden administration has decided to leave in place for now the public health rule that has allowed it to turn away hundreds of thousands of migrants, officials said.

"The decision, confirmed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Monday, amounted to a shift by the administration, which had been working on plans to begin lifting the rule this summer, more than a year after it was imposed by the Trump administration. The C.D.C. said allowing noncitizens to come over the border from either Mexico or Canada “creates a serious danger” of further spread of the coronavirus."

SailinAway 08-03-2021 09:53 AM

The science of human behavior

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 359914)
I'm pretty confident we could've been done with all this if people. Had. Just. Gotten. Vaccinated."

To create a pandemic you need (1) a virus and (2) specific human behaviors to spread it. To end a pandemic you need all of the following:
  1. Scientific knowledge
  2. A vaccine
  3. Management of human behaviors

Fortunately, management of human behaviors is a science. We have a fairly good understanding of why people do what they do and some knowledge of how to manage behaviors. Unfortunately there are some forces working against that at present. The first is lack of experience managing very large populations to get people to adopt life-saving behaviors. One's stance on vaccinations has very deep-seated roots in personal values, identity, political and social beliefs, and one's environment Those things only change very slowly over time, if ever. It can take a lifetime for a thoughtful person to develop a mature system of values and behaviors, beginning with the adolescent's typically self-centered thinking. What portion of the population is actually "thoughtful," meaning willing to modify self-centered attitudes and behaviors for the survival of society and the human species? I believe it's less than half, which predicts catastrophe in a pandemic or other crisis.

613,000 deaths in the U.S. is a catastrophe. It's 204 times the number of people who died on 9/11, which we previously thought was a catastrophe. How did we get to this point, and why is the pandemic continuing? We have the scientific knowledge and the vaccines to beat COVID-19. What we do not have is effective strategies for managing human behavior on a very large national and global scale.

This is ominous, and it is mirrored in other developing crises that depend on changing human behavior, especially the climate crisis. The problem is simple: we (the world, the U.S.) have achieved a very high level of progress in science, technology, production and distribution of goods, medicine, etc. We have made far less progress with the things that are actually just as important as or even more important for our survival than the more tangible forms of progress. Material progress has vastly outpaced social progress, the ability to work together for our survival on a planetary scale.

After a slow start over a period of millennia, we made very rapid material progress in the last 150 years. The pace accelerated with each decade. There has been visible social progress since about World War II, but it is nowhere near enough to stop crises as big as a pandemic or the climate crisis. In a word, we remain a socially immature species and we may well be out of time for evolving quickly enough to save our species.

For a more optimistic view of our chances of survival, see Toby Ord's The Precipice: Existential Risk and the Future of Humanity. https://www.amazon.com/Precipice-Exi.../dp/0316484911

I don't share Ord's optimism because human behavior is rooted in very powerful instincts like preservation of the individual self that have persisted in the human brain, like prioritizing one's well-being today over one's survival 30 years from now (you would rather eat an unhealthy diet today than be alive 30 years from now), or the survival and welfare of our descendants 500 or 1000 years from now. You may be worried about your children and grandchildren's future, but have you thought about what life will be like for your 100G grandchildren if we don't fix the climate crisis? No, because you can't identify with your human race that far in the future. You feel disconnected from those future people, even though they will carry your genes, just as your children do.

Have you thought about what life will be like for your children if this pandemic goes on for 5 years or 10 years? The impact on their education and jobs? How an economic crisis will impact them? Right now we have no reason to believe that the pandemic will end this year (certainly not) or next year (probably not). Around the globe we are pouring billions of dollars into the pandemic, wildfires, floods, hurricanes, etc. At some point, we're going to run out of resources to fight against these catastrophes and they will overwhelm us. You can already see that the pandemic has overwhelmed the U.S. with all our resources, since 613,000 people have died and infections are increasing again (+142% in the last 14 days).

The question is simple: what can you do today to slow down these catastrophes? And one answer is simple: get vaccinated.

P.S. I am really not convinced that all the time spent by intelligent people in this forum has any usefulness at all for solving these problems. You/we/I should seek more productive venues for these discussions and avenues of concrete action. Posting here only provides more opportunities for falsehoods to be spread.

John Mercier 08-03-2021 09:59 AM

The bigger spread is citizens... moving state to state, county to county, town to town.

If you look at the spread only on a map of NH, Belknap County stands out... and if you go anywhere in the county, you see plates from nearly several other States.

We are just a very mobile country.

FlyingScot 08-03-2021 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot (Post 359935)
Actually, vaccines were rolled out and available in December 2020. Trump was still president.

The vaccines were rolled in December, but only to older people.

My post was correcting your original statement that "They were the "Trump Vaccines" to begin with, so anyone that wanted one had ample opportunity to receive one when Trump was in office."

It was not until April or so that "anyone that wanted one had ample opportunity"

SailinAway 08-03-2021 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mercier (Post 359943)
We are just a very mobile country.

We're a mobile world, which is why it's naive to think that a new wave propelled by Delta or the next variant won't make its way to New Hampshire. Who can forget the big red dot on the infection map that began in New York and expanded until it engulfed New Hampshire in 2020? Right now New Hampshire is one of the safest places in the US, but that's unlikely to continue unless the rate of vaccinations increases.

John Mercier 08-03-2021 07:12 PM

Belknap County is in ''substantial''. Only one level higher.

Delta, and maybe other variants, are already here... so closing the border really does nothing.

Vaccinations will not protect those too young to get vaccines, or those under eighteen that their parents will not let them get the vaccine.

ApS 08-05-2021 03:06 AM

BTW: NY City Is Getting Vaccine Passports...

Quote:

Originally Posted by gillygirl (Post 359925)
On this we can agree, if you’re serious. Least biased and highly factual content.

I wasn't especially serious. Last fall, there were two famous American anti-vaxxers. Reuters carried the quote from only one of that "team".

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mercier (Post 359931)
Considering neither side actually developed the vaccines... I really don't think it matters.

1) Can you say, "Operation Warp Speed"?

2) What would happen if 100 Million Americans were to listen to Facebook-- and Twitter's most famous personality, should he be restored from "Cancel Culture's" effects?

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 359927)
I don't think that's quite fair. The Democrats are not perfect and do not have a monopoly on the truth, but they have been the most aggressive about anti-covid measures the entire time--social distancing, masks, various shut downs, etc. Republicans have often resisted all of these things, including in this forum.

We can debate which side is right, but let's not use one side's actions to paint the other.

1) The New York Times meticulously maintains their archives back to 1861. Why has NYTs content "mysteriously disappeared" since the Wuhan Laboratory received a $600 Million makeover of their air-conditioning system?

2) The nation's two most famous "anti-vaxxers" were quoted last fall. Can you name them? (Household names", unfortunately).

Hint:

thinkxingu 08-05-2021 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 360013)
I wasn't especially serious. Last fall, there were two famous American anti-vaxxers. Reuters carried the quote from only one of that "team".

1) Can you say, "Operation Warp Speed"?

2) What would happen if 100 Million Americans were to listen to Facebook-- and Twitter's most famous personality, should he be restored from "Cancel Culture's" effects?

1) The New York Times meticulously maintains their archives back to 1861. Why has NYTs content "mysteriously disappeared" since the Wuhan Laboratory received a $600 Million makeover of their air-conditioning system?

2) The nation's two most famous "anti-vaxxers" were quoted last fall. Can you name them? (Household names", unfortunately).

Hint:

Again with the manipulation.

That article has nothing to do with Harris being an anti-vaxxer—it summarizes how she would trust science over Trump, a sentiment she maintained throughout the election cycle and that EVERYONE should agree with given that, well, Trump was an idiot with Covid.

I mean, people began to drink bleach because of him! https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...ctant-comments

Seaplane Pilot 08-05-2021 06:34 AM

More “faux narrative” I suppose….

https://texasborderbusiness.com/mcal...r-declaration/

FlyingScot 08-05-2021 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 360013)

Hint:

Ridiculous on the NY Times--I don't believe you have any basis to show that content has mysteriously disappeared--unless that basis is one of your paranoid delusional websites.

Harris is not an anti-vaxxer. I did not fault her for saying she would not trust Trump on the vaccines. He has an incredibly long list of false statements on covid.

Furthermore, the whole premise of your argument is wrong--we do not take vaccines because we trust, or don't trust, Trump...or Biden...or Harris. We take vaccines because they have been proven to be our safest path by a rigorous, professional, scientific process.

This is America--not some weird cult of personality dictatorship where we always defer to a single person