Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Automotive (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   dirty motor oil disposal (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7766)

fatlazyless 05-26-2009 03:19 PM

dirty motor oil disposal

Wal-Mart has clearly gone berserk by raising the price of their oil changes from sixteen to thirty dollars which priced me out. For about 13.44 you can buy the 5-qts oil and filter and go crawl under the car yourself.

Rather than stashing the old oil in a kitchen trash bag, and surrepticiously sending it to the Bethlehem land fill, what local business is happy to accept a 5-qt plastic bottle of dirty motor oil? The Meredith transfer station says 'no way.' One would think they would take the stuff and then transfer it, but they do not.

LIforrelaxin 05-26-2009 03:26 PM

Check with Walmart to see if they take used motor oil, and then go to the various auto parts places..... I don't know New Hampshires take on motor oil, but in some states if the sell it, they have to take back used oil as well.

As a last resort I believe Moultonborough town dump takes oil.....

wifi 05-26-2009 06:46 PM

Almost worth getting a used oil burner and telling everyone to bring their non synthetic oil to you.

ie: http://www.cleanburn.com/

jst_4_kiks 05-26-2009 08:58 PM

to the OP, not sure how close you are but VIP in Laconia and also Autozone by Laconia High take used oil. may want to double check but i'm pretty sure they still take it.

ApS 05-27-2009 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 95547)
"...The Meredith transfer station says 'no way.'..."

You could wait for a Meredith Amnesty Day for "dangerous substances", like house paint, oil, antifreeze and such.

Hold back a quart of oil for use in your electric chainsaw's oil supply. :cool:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jst_4_kiks (Post 95600)
to the OP, not sure how close you are but VIP in Laconia and also Autozone by Laconia High take used oil. may want to double check but i'm pretty sure they still take it.

A gas station—no longer in business—once wanted 50¢ a quart to take used oil! :( :confused: :mad:

Nadia, DO fill the filter with oil first.

_C_H_R_I_S_ 05-27-2009 07:59 AM

Autozone by Laconia High School still takes used oil...I bring mine there all the time and it is free.

BroadHopper 05-27-2009 08:13 AM

Laconia landfill

Will take used oil. u have to dump it into a big container.

dpg 05-27-2009 10:57 AM

As previously posted a lot of places (states) have a law that states you must take it back if you sell it. I believe stores can request to see an old receipt proving you bought (some) there. Not sure about the receipt thing but have heard that somewhere. Obviously retailers that (must) take it do not advertise this fact.

fatlazyless 05-28-2009 11:50 AM

...lo & behold...just returned from the Meredith transfer station...and they do very much accept dirty motor oil, oil filters, and the empty plastic bottles as well....everyday....no additional charges besides a transfer sticker....they have a good set-up with two 55gal steel drums where the old oil filters are left to drain down for a few days before they get crushed down.....so whadayaknow! :)

Long Island Baba 05-28-2009 06:42 PM

Used Oil - Moultonborough

For those from Moultonborough, the Transfer Station accepts your used vehicle oil and filters whenever they are open. In fact, this oil is encouraged as the heating system for the building is run on the stuff. They store it in 55gal barrels til winter.

If the oil has been used for chainsaws, etc. and has additive, then you need to wait until Haz day which this year is August 1st at the Highway Garage.

Dave M 05-29-2009 12:20 PM

Moultonborough dump

LI Baba is correct. I've been bringing my oil from home for years
so they could use it for heating. Drive up a couple times a year and since I have two cars(40K/yr), its a significant amount.

Dave M

FYI, If your changing your own oil, a mechanic told me years ago to fill the new filter with oil before putting it on. It eliminates a dry start.

dpg 05-30-2009 08:04 PM

[Dave M

FYI, If your changing your own oil, a mechanic told me years ago to fill the new filter with oil before putting it on. It eliminates a dry start.[/QUOTE]

That is correct, your engine pulls oil from your filter and circulates it through out the engine. When you start it without oil in the filter...Bingo...Dry-start.

Nadia 06-05-2009 12:13 AM

Sanborns

Sanborns in Laconia used to be happy to take used motor oil. I now use Auto Zone myself. I've always changed my own oil and never filled the filter with oil before starting it, only lubricated the gasket and then cleaned and lubricated the area where it meets the block. To each his own I guess!

dpg 06-05-2009 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nadia (Post 96487)
Sanborns in Laconia used to be happy to take used motor oil. I now use Auto Zone myself. I've always changed my own oil and never filled the filter with oil before starting it, only lubricated the gasket and then cleaned and lubricated the area where it meets the block. To each his own I guess!

Yeah putting oil in the filter prior to applying is an old trick most mechanics use. Is it going to extend the life of your car years? Probably not, just a good habit to get into that's all.

AB_Monterey 06-09-2009 12:50 PM

By law, anyone that sells motor oil must accept used motor oil up to the amount that was purchased.

edit: Not in NH, but they do in Mass.

http://search.cga.ct.gov/dtsearch.as...&req=&Item=173