Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Hidden Gem for Vinyl record collectors (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29136)

The Eagle 09-21-2023 08:29 AM

Hidden Gem for Vinyl record collectors

Hi All,
I haven't posted in a long while, but I collect vinyl records, (since 1963) and found a fantastic place to find them. There is a Record store in Centre Harbor called "Old's cool Records". It has thousands of original vinyl records in excellent shape, vintage record players, and other vintage stuff. The owner "Mike" is a fantastic young man with an incredible knowledge of music, the groups, anything related to music. The shop is well organized I spent a few hours looking through his stuff and speaking with him. If you are a collector like me, it's worth visiting and speaking to Mike! It's in the mall where "Heaths Market" is down by where the Quilt store used to be!
The Eagle

bobkatfly 09-21-2023 09:34 AM

Thanks Eagle. I love vinyl also. I'll have to check it out.

FlyingScot 09-21-2023 02:54 PM

Yes! He's a great guy and prices are quite reasonable. I've bought about a dozen records from him, all in nice condition

Mr. V 09-21-2023 03:42 PM

While I see the record shop owner has "vintage" equipment, I am an audiophile and enjoy going to hi end stores to see the latest and greatest.

Laconia didn't have such a store, but Greenlaws did have some interesting mid-level stuff: too bad they closed.

Got to head south for the really good gear, e.g. to Nashua.

ishoot308 09-21-2023 03:43 PM

Thanks for the heads up on this place!

I miss the quality sound of vinyl spinning on my old Phillips turntable, through my Kenwood pre-amp and into those old giant box speakers!! Nothing like it since!

Dan

Blyblvrd 09-21-2023 04:54 PM

Purchased an album a couple of weeks ago from him but we were on the boat and still need to swing back and pick up. We are psyched to have a shop like this in the area!

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

thebix 09-21-2023 06:18 PM

There are 4 vinyl record shops in the area

There are 4 vinyl record shops in the area

From a LDS story August 17:
What's old is cool, agree both shoppers and purveyors of vinyl albums

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...59b2f8e52.html

Last summer, the Lakes Region suddenly had two places to buy vinyl records, with Defiant Records & Craft Beer and NH Vintage Vinyl doing business on either side of Canal Street in downtown Laconia. Some asked if the region could support two record stores, when it so recently had none.

It turns out that was the wrong question. The better query would have been: How many more record stores does the region need? Because, as of this summer, the Lakes Region’s count of vinyl dealers is now doubled, with the opening of Full Circle Vinyl on Main Street in Meredith, and with Old’s Cool relocating from Plymouth to the Senter’s Market plaza in Center Harbor.

bobkatfly 09-22-2023 08:14 AM

Pricing

Curious, for those that have visited these stores, what's the price range of vinyl these days?

jbolty 09-22-2023 08:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I still have all my old records but have not played them in many years and of course did a terrible job of taking care of them but can't seem to toss them quite yet.

FlyingScot 09-22-2023 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. V (Post 388020)
While I see the record shop owner has "vintage" equipment, I am an audiophile and enjoy going to hi end stores to see the latest and greatest.

Laconia didn't have such a store, but Greenlaws did have some interesting mid-level stuff: too bad they closed.

Got to head south for the really good gear, e.g. to Nashua.

His McIntosh MC240 amp looks great (I have the later MC275). Natural Sound in Framingham, MA is also great for new gear

NH.Solar 09-24-2023 08:40 PM

Pitchfork Records in Concord at the downtown intersection of Main and Pleasant Street, a HUGE reasonably priced selection of both old vinyl and new releases. For that matter, most anywhere downtown Concord is a bit of a gem for stroll shopping, be sure to check out Goldsmith Jewelers if you like gorgeous high end custom finery ...and Hermanos Mexican Restaurant in just a few blocks away. The best mexican food anywhere and killer margaritas. As a bonus they often have a local jazz band playing music in their third floor lounge.