Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   fried shrimp? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28575)

LadyJane 01-28-2023 11:10 AM

fried shrimp?

What is the best place to get fried shrimp dinner in the Meredith/Center Harbor/ Moultonborough area?

Descant 01-28-2023 12:18 PM

Diy

From a dock mate:

Enjoy some crispy, cold jumbo shrimp cocktail with a zesty horseradish dipping sauce.

Or simply grill some beauties in garlic butter and sprinkle with some favorite herbs.

For extreme decadence, bake some colossal shrimp with a lobster-crab stuffing. To get you started here’s my Super Simple Shrimp Quesadillas recipe.
2 (8”) flour tortillas
12 x-lg shrimp (16/30 count per pound), shelled & deveined; tails removed
½ c cream cheese, softened to room temp
½ c cheddar, Jack, or muenster cheese (or combo)
1 thinly sliced green onion
¼ c chopped yellow or red onion, microwaved on high for 2 min (3 if a red onion)
4 T chopped plum tomatoes
1 T sriracha (or garlic chili or Thai hot sauce)
1 T fresh lime juice
2 T butter
Combine cheeses, onions, tomatoes, hot sauce & lime juice. Divide between the tortillas, spreading on just half of one side of each. Top cheese mixture with a single layer of shrimp. Fold plain half of the tortilla over the filled half, forming a half-moon shape. Melt butter in a skillet over med heat; place the 2 tortillas in the butter and let cook 3 min per side till brown and crisp. Turning just once with a large spatula. Cut in wedges and serve with your choice of salsa, guacamole, and/or sour cream. These are delicious as appetizers or as a lunch, served with a chilled salad of corn, black beans, diced tomatoes, and diced avocado.

Meredith AK 01-28-2023 03:32 PM

Coconut shrimp

Way too simple, I know. Frozen coconut shrimp from the supermarket or BJ's in the oven per directions and some sweet/thai chili sauce. Can't beat it. Make sure to get a couple packages.

TiltonBB 01-28-2023 06:08 PM

I have been buying the frozen 12-15 peeled and deveined shrimp at Costco. Boil them for 5 minutes and they are the best cocktail shrimp I have ever had.

Mr. V 01-28-2023 08:05 PM

Why not answer the OP's qutestion, i.e. which RESTAURANT has the best shrimp?

Descant 01-28-2023 11:10 PM

Not neaqrby, but "Brother's Sbrimp at Chen Yang Li in Bedford is excellent and Pino Mediterranean menu in Tyngsboro ha great Prawns. I wasn't excited about their menu, so I haven't eaten there, but Breeze in Glendale focuses on seafood. Maybe try them?
Overall, you can't get good lobster down south and there are seafoods you can't get (excellent) in New England. Hence, all the posts about DIY. JMHO.

thinkxingu 01-29-2023 03:52 AM

I see "fried shrimp dinner" three different ways: small shrimps like in a basket, jumbo shrimps like in a seafood meal, and Chinese food fried shrimps. Not sure which you're looking for, but my recommendations:

Shrimp basket style (small or popcorn shrimps): 104 Diner, George's.

Seafood style (large/jumbo shrimps): Jake's, The Bob House.

Chinese fried shrimps: Lee Wah.

I would normally throw Dockside out there for anything seafood off-season, but I've had different sized shrimps there so I can't categorize it like above. They've always been good, though, so that's certainly an option.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

chachee52 01-29-2023 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 380751)
Pino Mediterranean menu in Tyngsboro ha great Prawns.

This place actually worth it? Since the change in owners and remodel have heard nothing but bad things about the place in general, not necessarily the restaurant, honestly didn't realize that was up and open yet. I only live a few miles from there.

tis 01-29-2023 07:28 AM

Whatever happened to plain old shrimp (scampi) in just plain butter and garlic? Maybe just a little lemon but not enough to taste. And scallops wrapped in bacon? These are so easy and simple but hard to find now.

SAMIAM 01-29-2023 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 380747)
I have been buying the frozen 12-15 peeled and deveined shrimp at Costco. Boil them for 5 minutes and they are the best cocktail shrimp I have ever had.

No matter where you buy them I would caution you to avoid farm raised.
Always look for "wild caught" from anywhere in the gulf of Mexico
Most farm raised are from countries that don't have sanitation standards like ours and you may be getting shrimp that are treated with
Disinfectants, antibiotics, algaecides and herbicides.Not so with wild caught.
Lots of Youtube videos.......type in "filthy shrimp farms" and see for yourself.
Unfortunately,most stores and restaurants use them because they are cheaper.

phoenix 01-29-2023 08:42 AM

Thanks Samiam i hadnt thought about that for shrimp

phoenix 01-29-2023 08:44 AM

I just looked at a bag of frozen shrimp i have and doesn't id the source

Loventhelake 01-29-2023 09:13 AM

In Laconia, south end pizza has the best fried shrimp of any restaurant in the area. Perfectly cooked and a generous portion it is well worth the trip!

Descant 01-29-2023 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chachee52 (Post 380755)
This place actually worth it? Since the change in owners and remodel have heard nothing but bad things about the place in general, not necessarily the restaurant, honestly didn't realize that was up and open yet. I only live a few miles from there.

We (8-10 people) went there last November and again January 20. Excellent both times.

chachee52 01-29-2023 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 380769)
We (8-10 people) went there last November and again January 20. Excellent both times.

Good to know. Thanks for the heads up!!

FlyingScot 01-29-2023 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyJane (Post 380738)
What is the best place to get fried shrimp dinner in the Meredith/Center Harbor/ Moultonborough area?

I am more a fried clam in the summer guy, but I would check out Red Hill Dari

MeredithMan 01-30-2023 08:32 AM

What about other farm-raised fish?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 380758)
Most farm raised are from countries that don't have sanitation standards like ours and you may be getting shrimp that are treated with
Lots of Youtube videos.......type in "filthy shrimp farms" and see for yourself.

An interesting point....thank you for sharing. Prompted me to wonder....what about other "farm raised" fish? I know "farm raised" salmon is a big thing. I've also seen "oyster farms" on the bay side of Cape Cod. ???

FlyingScot 01-30-2023 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeredithMan (Post 380797)
An interesting point....thank you for sharing. Prompted me to wonder....what about other "farm raised" fish? I know "farm raised" salmon is a big thing. I've also seen "oyster farms" on the bay side of Cape Cod. ???

Sam's much more expert than I on this stuff, but sometimes we let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Between fat, salt, white carbs, sugar, and the kind of crap Sam lists; there's something wrong with almost everything. I try to steer clear of farm raised, but some brands are better than others (at least by taste). And if you're going to skip shrimp and have a bacon cheeseburger instead, that is a mistake

mofn 01-31-2023 07:36 AM

The where to go is closed for the winter.
But, what ever you do a quick guide:
Best taste...100/200 count shrimp.
Larger shrimp 21-23 count and larger:
1 Thai..."Black Tiger"
2 Ecuadorian
3 Gulf shrimp...for me they are garbage.

SAMIAM 01-31-2023 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mofn (Post 380831)
The where to go is closed for the winter.
But, what ever you do a quick guide:
Best taste...100/200 count shrimp.
Larger shrimp 21-23 count and larger:
1 Thai..."Black Tiger"
2 Ecuadorian
3 Gulf shrimp...for me they are garbage.

Sorry to disagree with you but gulf shrimp are the best in the world.
From Key West pinks, to white shirmp from Louisiana down to Mexico,
they are caught in clean waters and processed right here in the USA
Your tiger shrimp are mostly farm raised....these are the ones you can scoop out of the bin at Walmart for cheap money
Also.regarding MeredithMans question about farm raised salmon.They are not farmed in filthy ponds like shrimp and tilapia,but in ocean cages in fresh water.Most are excellent and we eat them all the time.

The Real BigGuy 01-31-2023 09:26 AM

I second SAMIAM’s gulf shrimp comments. Years ago, while on business in Louisiana, I had a shrimp poboy (I.e., sub, grinder). 8 jumbo (I mean the largest I had seen to that point) boiled shrimp, nested on a 10” roll w/lettuce & mayo. That was about 30 yrs ago and I still can taste it like it was yesterday. Lip smacking good!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Newbiesaukee 01-31-2023 09:36 AM

This is a complex issue.

Branzino is a mild tasting fish of Mediterranean origin. It became the expensive darling of high end restaurants a number of years ago. At present, any you get has been farmed. Even though the farms are in the Mediterranean, they are largely polluted and an environmental hazard.

Faroe Island Salmon is also trendy and is farmed in the Faroe Islands in a generally environmentally healthy way. A high end restaurant chain advertised “wild caught” Faroe island salmon which is just not true.

Why can’t everything be as simple as it was in the “good old days?”

Heaven 02-04-2023 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 380758)

Yes, disgusting, pretty much all frozen shrimp is from farms in Thailand. I can't eat them anymore. . . just like I can't eat Avocados now that I saw the show on how avocado farms are destroying farmland by using all of the water (residents now have to buy their own water that comes in a water truck). Horrible.

I have gotten local shrimp/seasonally I think off the boat from Brothers Fresh Catch.