Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Snowmobiling (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Winnisquam Ice - Great Bay (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22909)

Macblood 01-04-2018 07:12 PM

Winnisquam Ice - Great Bay

Does anyone have knowledge of the thickness of the ice in Great Bay? Particularly the waters between Pot Island and Ahern Park. Any snowmobiles out there? Also what about RT 301 to Steele Hill? Is the trail open at the Ferry Point Inn?

winnisquam 01-06-2018 10:44 AM

Winnisquam Ice Thickness

On Wednesday, January 3rd, I was told that the ice thickness between Smith Point and Ferry Point, where trail 301 intersects the lake was 6" plus!

That water froze December 28/29, so ~ 6 days for 6", makes sense and not considering the impact of the snow I estimate that today it is 9/10".

I find it hard to believe that the water south of Pot Island would not have frozen before the end of the year, so know it would be ~6"

Should be OK but to play it safe cross from Laconia to Sanborton north of Pot Island where the lake narrows and then follow the shoreline south.

I will be up there next Saturday and can port actual information, if that helps:)

winnisquam 01-06-2018 10:56 AM

RT301 and Winnisquan Access

A new home was built on Lower Bay Road with driveway gates, like you would see on the rich and famous, right where 301 comes out off the woods and intersects Winnisquam.

I just sent an email to the Mohawk Trail Riders club as it is one of their trails asking the question.

If they respond with, the trail is closed and there is no alternate route, I will share a little access secret with you! I am actually amazed that what I know has not been utilized over the past decade, it was when I was a kid and I still do it as it saves time!

Standby for the rest of the story:)

winnisquam 01-06-2018 11:16 AM

RT301 and Winnisquam Access

Here is the update you have been waiting for from Mohawk Trail Rider POC!

"Good morning! We have a minor reroute there, no issues. Yay!"

I will keep my alternate route a secret for now!

Outdoorsman 01-06-2018 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winnisquam (Post 289579)
Here is the update you have been waiting for from Mohawk Trail Rider POC!

"Good morning! We have a minor reroute there, no issues. Yay!"

I will keep my alternate route a secret for now!

Make sure you cover your tracks. :confused:

winnisquam 01-27-2018 08:43 PM

Winnisquam Ice Thickness - 01/27

Just got home from a day on the hard water! On the Sanborton side of the lake looking across at Belmont beach we had consistent 14" of good ice, beats the heck out of last year, should be a great month of March for milder fishing conditions!

Also, skating was not bad and may get better after the incoming rain

Be safe!

Macblood 03-08-2018 06:44 PM

Any updates on the safety of the Lake ice? Interested to see if the north end snowmobile trails are accessible from three island northward.

SAB1 03-08-2018 10:07 PM

Not sure on ice but most trails are closed for the season. Landowners do not want damage.

SPT13 03-09-2018 06:58 AM

Grooming this weekend?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAB1 (Post 291853)
Not sure on ice but most trails are closed for the season. Landowners do not want damage.

Any grooming with the recent snow, or is it done for the season?