Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Covid-19 Discussions & Information (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Vaccinations (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26664)

Pine Island Guy 01-22-2021 04:18 PM

easy and efficient!

I logged in this morning about 10am using my laptop. The website performance was fine, and the app easy to use (on a laptop). When I finished, the message was that I would receive an email in 3-5 days... 20 minutes later I had the email, went through that app (a lot of the same questions, and performance was fine).

At the end, entered my zipcode (Portsmouth), and showed me that the closest spot was the Dover bus terminal (I had assumed it would be Pease), and they had appointments starting at 11am every 10 minutes through the afternoon. I booked in at 12:40, drove up and greeted by a National Guard team, they checked my info, drove around to the other side of the building, another National Guard team greeted me, rolled down my car window, rolled up my sleeve, shot my arm, and directed my to the other side of the parking lot... they make you wait 15 minutes to ensure you're ok, and then off I drove!

It couldn't have been easier or any better handled!! -PIG

ice ice ice

TheVoiceOfReason 01-22-2021 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobkatfly (Post 349505)
Anyone know where the closest location is around the lake? I think I read somewhere that Tamworth, near the DMV off rt16 is the closest.

Edit. Found this. https://www.governor.nh.gov/news-and...care-providers

Looks like Laconia, Plymouth and Tamworth unless other sites open.

Fairly certain that the Laconia site will be hosted at Lakes Region Community College.

winniplayhouse 01-22-2021 10:26 PM

Pine Island Guy...

Did the email that you received to do the actual scheduling come from VAMS? My parents got that today and are trying to confirm that’s the legit registration email. Thanks!

Newbiesaukee 01-22-2021 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winniplayhouse (Post 349530)
Pine Island Guy...

Did the email that you received to do the actual scheduling come from VAMS? My parents got that today and are trying to confirm that’s the legit registration email. Thanks!

I registered this am and just got my VAMS. It freaked me a little as it was from. CDC, not NH; but I filled it out and got my appointment.

OTOH, when I registered this am it said I could also register my wife, but no way to do this on VAMS so she will have to do it separately. Bummer.

tummyman 01-22-2021 11:29 PM

Newbie.....did you fill out a form for your wife this am ?? If so, call the hotline tomorrow....2-1-1 and maybe they can answer whether she can also go at the same time as you. Must be a way....I would call them first.

Newbiesaukee 01-23-2021 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tummyman (Post 349532)
Newbie.....did you fill out a form for your wife this am ?? If so, call the hotline tomorrow....2-1-1 and maybe they can answer whether she can also go at the same time as you. Must be a way....I would call them first.

Two hours AFTER I got my appointment, I got another email with instructions and “tips” to use to make an appointment, which I had just done. Included in these instructions was the comment that if a spouse had filled out the earlier qualifying pre registration form, then she could come with me for my appointment without filling anything else at this time.

Better late than never, so she can come with me for the vaccine. But there were a few confusing hours.

But I am impressed, so far, with the ease and speed of the process.

DEJ 01-23-2021 06:02 AM

Which Vaccine

​​​​Curious which vaccine is being administered, Pfizer or Moderna?

Pine Island Guy 01-23-2021 07:28 AM

Vams

Quote:

Originally Posted by winniplayhouse (Post 349530)
Pine Island Guy...

Yes, once you register at vaccines.nh.gov, the appointment is set up with VAMS

and the vaccine I received was Pfizer

Arm is a little sore this morning, but that's it!

Ice is starting to look promising -PIG

ApS 01-23-2021 08:07 AM

Trending Pfizer?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEJ (Post 349535)
​​​​Curious which vaccine is being administered, Pfizer or Moderna?

Thousands of delicate Moderna vaccines have been thrown out in Maine and Massachusetts, due to handling errors.

Lakegeezer 01-23-2021 08:18 AM

Can protected people be contagious

Got my appt this morning too, at the Plymouth Armory. Its good to be a geezer. On the VAMs system, it had a priority category for "living with or caring for someone over 65". NH didn't have this option, so while I will be protected, my younger wife won't. That begs the question, can protected people still transmit it to others. The official word is "it could, we don't know". Time to search the internet to find out who is doing research on that question. Inquiring minds want to know.

bobkatfly 01-23-2021 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee (Post 349531)
I registered this am and just got my VAMS. It freaked me a little as it was from. CDC, not NH; but I filled it out and got my appointment.

OTOH, when I registered this am it said I could also register my wife, but no way to do this on VAMS so she will have to do it separately. Bummer.

I registered yesterday with my wife at the same time like you did. Today I got my appointment registration from vams.cdc.gov. it was in my name only. Again, like you. I also received an e-mail from nh.gov with good directions for filling out the registration with vams. The directions clearly indicate that if you originally registered with another family member at the same time then no other appointment is needed. Just show up with the other member and you'll be all set. You must bring the scan code that they send you for identification. Here's what I received from nh.gov. See number 3.

Thank you for completing the first step and registering to receive your COVID-19 vaccine. In the coming days, you will receive another email containing a link to schedule your vaccination appointment using the federal Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) Vaccine Administration Management System (VAMS).

The next step using CDC’s scheduling system can be a bit confusing, so the following helpful tips are designed to help you prepare and simplify the process when it comes time for you to schedule your appointment:

1. Please do not use Internet Explorer – instead use Google Chrome, Firefox, Edge, or Safari only.

2. The VAMS email will contain a link to schedule your appointment. Upon clicking that link, you will be asked. “Have you already registered as a vaccine recipient with VAMS?”. Please be sure to answer “no”.

3. If you registered a qualifying household member along with yourself (ie. spouse) to receive the vaccine at the same time, additional information will not be asked for or required when you schedule your appointment. Just arrive with your qualifying family member.

Also,
• The “Date of Birth” field can only be entered in the MMM DD, YYYY format, for example: Jan 01, 1950.
• When selecting “Race”, you must move at least one of the options from the left box to the right box.
• You DO NOT need to enter any insurance information. This is an optional field and you can simply click the next button to move to the Organization section.
• When asked about “organization”, you can leave the Role/Position field empty.
• When scheduling your vaccination appointment, enter your zip code, select a radius option and click the “search” button to find the closest vaccination location.
• When it comes time to pick a location, only select a “State of NH” site. DO NOT select a clinic or closed POD unless you were specifically instructed to do so.
• Once your appointment is scheduled, you will see a confirmation page AND receive a confirmation email. Be sure to complete the pre-vaccination questionnaire before coming to the vaccination site, this will help to speed up your appointment and reduce delays.

Again, please expect to receive another email directly from the federal CDC VAMS system containing a link to schedule your appointment.

bobkatfly 01-23-2021 09:08 AM

Huggins hospital

After registering I found that Huggins hospital in Wolfeboro is also a vaccination site, however the first open slot was Feb 28. Laconia was Feb 11 so I chose that. Didn't see Tamworth as available. Not sure why.

bobkatfly 01-23-2021 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee (Post 349534)
Two hours AFTER I got my appointment, I got another email with instructions and “tips” to use to make an appointment, which I had just done. Included in these instructions was the comment that if a spouse had filled out the earlier qualifying pre registration form, then she could come with me for my appointment without filling anything else at this time.

Better late than never, so she can come with me for the vaccine. But there were a few confusing hours.

But I am impressed, so far, with the ease and speed of the process.

Newbie, didn't see your post this morning so my last reply to you was a bit rushed as you obviously already had the info I sent.

upthesaukee 01-23-2021 09:39 AM

Scheduled this morning

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobkatfly (Post 349549)
After registering I found that Huggins hospital in Wolfeboro is also a vaccination site, however the first open slot was Feb 28. Laconia was Feb 11 so I chose that. Didn't see Tamworth as available. Not sure why.

This morning at about 730 or so, we also scheduled for Huggins and the earliest date was Feb 19 th around noon. We both got our confirmations, and have our QR codes on our homepage on our phones. Woo hoo.

Dave

bobkatfly 01-23-2021 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 349553)
This morning at about 730 or so, we also scheduled for Huggins and the earliest date was Feb 19 th around noon. We both got our confirmations, and have our QR codes on our homepage on our phones. Woo hoo.

Dave

Ah, so you're the one that bumped me out to the 28th.:cool:

Steveo 01-23-2021 12:11 PM

How to get 2nd shot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pine Island Guy (Post 349516)
I logged in this morning about 10am using my laptop. The website performance was fine, and the app easy to use (on a laptop). When I finished, the message was that I would receive an email in 3-5 days... 20 minutes later I had the email, went through that app (a lot of the same questions, and performance was fine).

At the end, entered my zipcode (Portsmouth), and showed me that the closest spot was the Dover bus terminal (I had assumed it would be Pease), and they had appointments starting at 11am every 10 minutes through the afternoon. I booked in at 12:40, drove up and greeted by a National Guard team, they checked my info, drove around to the other side of the building, another National Guard team greeted me, rolled down my car window, rolled up my sleeve, shot my arm, and directed my to the other side of the parking lot... they make you wait 15 minutes to ensure you're ok, and then off I drove!

It couldn't have been easier or any better handled!! -PIG

ice ice ice

Did they tell you how to sign up for your second shot?

Slickcraft 01-23-2021 02:41 PM

We received the CDC email overnight and clicked on the link at about 6 am this morning. The companion email from "no-reply@onsolve.com" was very helpful in providing guidance on filling out the CDC forms. We did get appointments for Feb 3rd in Laconia which is great.

I was initially thinking that the two emails were a scam so I came here and saw Newbie's posts of last night and early morning today indicating that the CDC email was for real. I did appreciate that heads-up.

Alan

tummyman 01-23-2021 03:23 PM

For those who have already gotten a shot, please pass on he following:

Where did you get the "shot" ?

What vaccine did you get ?

What info did you get about the second "shot" and how do you schedule that appointment?

This info would be really appreciated. And folks, keep sending along your input as it will help us all.

We are scheduled for Feb.2 in Plymouth at the Nat'l Guard Armory.

JEEPONLY 01-23-2021 04:11 PM

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 349553)

Dave

So, how/where did you sign up at Huggins?

winni83 01-23-2021 05:06 PM

We have Huggins on January 28th. Got the Vams E Mail last night around 10 PM. Immediately went on line and Huggins was one of the choices. We figured that while the risk of an adverse reaction may be low, better to be at a hospital site. No idea who administers the shot.

Good Luck.

upthesaukee 01-23-2021 07:23 PM

Part of sign up

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEEPONLY (Post 349582)
So, how/where did you sign up at Huggins?

It's part of the sign up process. Based on our Alton Bay address, with a within 10 mile radius, we picked Huggins. Other choice was LRCC in Laconia. Too late now, but if we had gone with Laconia, we would have had an appointment within 2 weeks rather than just under a month. Oh well, it is what it is.

Dave

tis 01-23-2021 07:25 PM

Do you think it will be easier to get appointments soon or do you think it will be a long time before the supply meets the demand? Or the distribution meets the demand-----

ApS 01-23-2021 08:18 PM

Surpassing One Million per Day...

Florida has cancelled my County's vaccination appointments past January 20th. :rolleye1:

A new directive limits vaccinations to Florida residents. https://www.mypanhandle.com/news/bay...ccine-tourism/

Quote:

"Bay County resident, William Robinson, said he had no idea people were coming in from out of state to get vaccinated.

“I think they need to get that taken care of in their own home state where the vaccines are sent to their home state and are distributed by their own state,” said Robinson. “I’ve been waiting several weeks to get an appointment and haven’t been able to thus far".
No matter. I'm going to wait for the [one] Johnson & Johnson jab next month. :)

Pfizer and Moderna are behind on their contracted deliveries, and should surge to catch up at some point. We are likely to surpass a peak rate of 2 million per day.
https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations

tis 01-24-2021 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 349596)
Florida has cancelled my County's vaccination appointments past January 20th. :rolleye1:

A new directive limits vaccinations to Florida residents. https://www.mypanhandle.com/news/bay...ccine-tourism/

No matter. I'm going to wait for the [one] Johnson & Johnson jab next month. :)

Pfizer and Moderna are behind on their contracted deliveries, and should surge to catch up at some point. We are likely to surpass a peak rate of 2 million per day.
https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations

Is the J & J supposed be approved next month? I have been wondering.

tummyman 01-24-2021 09:22 AM

From what I read, it appears sometime in February and then followed by Astra Zeneca and Novavax in maybe March. I think both of those vaccines will also require two shots but do not hold me to that. So far, it seems only J&J is a one shot deal and even then, they are looking at whether two shots might be even better on efficacy. J&J has also been having some manufacturing problems. There is no real way to determine what vaccine you will get, unless you wait until the very end and vaccines become much more readily available. The government pre-bought a lot of doses of Moderna and Pfizer, so they will be probably pushing those out first.

Descant 01-24-2021 11:12 AM

Continued effort

Despite some public protestations from the press, I think Trump did a great job getting ventilators manufactured and other equipment and manpower (hospital ships, portable hospitals) operational. Warp Speed was a triumph for vaccine development. Now it seems Biden is doing a good follow up with emphasis on vaccine distribution. This is wonderful continuity. "Don't worry. Be happy." Rescheduling an appointment is easy-peasy compared to three hours in line at the DMV.

TheVoiceOfReason 01-25-2021 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tummyman (Post 349621)
From what I read, it appears sometime in February and then followed by Astra Zeneca and Novavax in maybe March. I think both of those vaccines will also require two shots but do not hold me to that. So far, it seems only J&J is a one shot deal and even then, they are looking at whether two shots might be even better on efficacy. J&J has also been having some manufacturing problems. There is no real way to determine what vaccine you will get, unless you wait until the very end and vaccines become much more readily available. The government pre-bought a lot of doses of Moderna and Pfizer, so they will be probably pushing those out first.

The US pre-purchased 100 million doses of the J&J vaccine, and once approved I'd expect it to be the go-to option provided the efficacy is on par with the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines due to it being a one shot and done deal. J&J has already said that they anticipate having those 100 million doses all produced by spring provided the trial is a success and is granted EUA from the FDA. If J&J is approved, the light at the end of the tunnel gets a whole lot closer/brighter.

jeffk 01-26-2021 06:46 AM

I signed up first thing Friday morning and got a reply from nh.gov later that day telling me to expect an email from the CDC in a day or two. UNFORTUNATELY, the CDC email was routed into my SPAM folder. Not expecting an immediate response, I wasn't digging around to look for it. I found it on Sunday and immediately got scheduled but at that point I was pushed to March 10. Ah well. I figure by the end of April I should have had both shots and enough time for it to build to maximum immunity. In the grand scheme of things it won't matter too much. We will still be wearing masks and not gathering. I expect that will last until the Fall at least and maybe to the end of the year.

I worry about the initial effects of COVID but, if you don't have a severe case, you can be over it in a few weeks. What I fear is the longhauler effects. Some people have continual chronic fatigue. I know one man and his wife who lost their smell and taste. Months later, he still cannot smell or taste much and his wife says some foods now taste like gasoline to her. :eek: Those types of effects could be life altering.

Flylady 01-26-2021 10:51 AM

Got dose #1 Moderma

I am in Ca. for the winter. The County of LA opened up enrollment site for 65+ a week ago. The first two days it was impossible for most to get through to the website. By the time I completed enrollment the appointment slots were already gone. I waited an hour and then returned to the site. They had just opened up more appointments. So I received my first dose yesterday and need to return in 28 days for the 2nd dose. My NH friends are mostly scheduled towards the end of February.

JEEPONLY 01-26-2021 03:32 PM

Odd!

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 349589)
It's part of the sign up process. Based on our Alton Bay address, with a within 10 mile radius, we picked Huggins. Other choice was LRCC in Laconia. Too late now, but if we had gone with Laconia, we would have had an appointment within 2 weeks rather than just under a month. Oh well, it is what it is.

Dave

I had called Huggins before 1/22 to get information. They said they would email. What they sent was a link to the vaccines.nh.gov site- big help!?!

After reading your post, I called Huggins, again. Turned out you had to be aware of the mileage to the vaccine site you wanted- I live i nMeredith so Huggins didn't show as an opportunity. I'm conflicted, emotionally, as my primary is employed by Huggins and I didn't get any notification for the Huggins option.

I have an appointment elsewhere, but in agreeing with an earlier poster, I would rather have gone to my familiar hospital/people and gotten the vaccine.

Better days ahead!!!!!

upthesaukee 01-26-2021 05:00 PM

When we signed up

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEEPONLY (Post 349810)
I had called Huggins before 1/22 to get information. They said they would email. What they sent was a link to the vaccines.nh.gov site- big help!?!

After reading your post, I called Huggins, again. Turned out you had to be aware of the mileage to the vaccine site you wanted- I live i nMeredith so Huggins didn't show as an opportunity. I'm conflicted, emotionally, as my primary is employed by Huggins and I didn't get any notification for the Huggins option.

I have an appointment elsewhere, but in agreeing with an earlier poster, I would rather have gone to my familiar hospital/people and gotten the vaccine.

Better days ahead!!!!!

When we signed up, there was a drop down menu with the "within 10 miles" option visible. Our 3 options were Huggins, Belmont, and Laconia. Belmont was at Lakes Region Community College, and Laconia was LRGH (for LRGH employees only)

We were not sure where we would be directed initially, and we were ready to expand our search criteria to find a place to offer liking. Our daughter works for Huggins and she didn't know when they would be starting the injections.

Fortunately the two options met our needs right up front. Sorry you had problems.

Dave

smith point boater 01-27-2021 09:32 AM

2nd dose

My wife and I got our first shot Tuesday afternoon - great. Wait until you try and get an appt for the 2nd one in the specified timeframe -IMPOSSIBLE!!. We're eligible 2/22 - nothing before mid/late March anywhere in the state - we looked at sites over 100 miles away too.

Lakegeezer 01-27-2021 10:33 AM

Second appointment

Quote:

Originally Posted by smith point boater (Post 349846)
My wife and I got our first shot Tuesday afternoon - great. Wait until you try and get an appt for the 2nd one in the specified timeframe -IMPOSSIBLE!!. We're eligible 2/22 - nothing before mid/late March anywhere in the state - we looked at sites over 100 miles away too.

How does it work that you can try to schedule the second appointment? It isn't possible before your appointment. How long after your appointment can you try? Did you have to do anything to enable it? With 300,000 people trying and a current rate of 15,000/week, it is going be chaos for a while. Hopefully the doses (and appointments) available will quickly ramp up.

Newbiesaukee 01-27-2021 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakegeezer (Post 349852)
How does it work that you can try to schedule the second appointment? It isn't possible before your appointment. How long after your appointment can you try? Did you have to do anything to enable it? With 300,000 people trying and a current rate of 15,000/week, it is going be chaos for a while. Hopefully the doses (and appointments) available will quickly ramp up.

We had ours yesterday. By the time I got home, I had an email from VAMS telling me I was vaccinated and I could make an appointment after 4 weeks. I went on VAMS this am and the earliest appointment I could get anywhere is in Plymouth, not my original location. This is for 7 weeks from vaccination. I called 211 and eventually got Connor who said the guidance from the CDC said the 2nd vaccine could be no earlier than 4 weeks but there was no specific guideline for later than 4 weeks. Strictly speaking this is true. As a physician I knew this because the studies were done at 4 weeks and anything else is a guess. Perhaps an educated guess...but 4 weeks would have been better. In addition while the plus one for my wife worked as it should have, there was a fair amount of confusion. Nonetheless, the National Guard was great and the entire experience well done. And the 211 operators were very helpful

Sorry for the long answer but maybe it will help. So if you get your shot, make your 2nd appointment. Also, Connor confirmed that going to another NH site was perfectly OK for the second shot.

If anyone’s experience was different, let us know. Smith Point’s seems to have been similar.

Garcia 01-27-2021 11:00 AM

Not sure how they are doing it in NH, but in MA I received an email with a link to schedule the second dose; it was an easy process and the clinic was very well organized. I'm in a pretty rural area which I think helped as the system has not been overwhelmed.

tummyman 01-27-2021 11:03 AM

Fauci et al saying 42 days is max...how does that work ??

Newbiesaukee 01-27-2021 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tummyman (Post 349859)
Fauci et al saying 42 days is max...how does that work ??

See my comments above. My earliest appointment this morning was for 49 days. Not ideal but probably better than no vaccine. For the elderly, one shot conveys 80% immunity, but second shot is about 95% effective for Moderna

Fauci is at the NIH, the recommendation is from CDC. The real truth is no one really knows. REAL science is not exact, it is not 100% and as more is learned recommendations change. We are, in effect, guinea pigs, but I’d rather have the first dose than none.

DEJ 01-27-2021 12:29 PM

VAMS email question

My friend registered last Friday and has not received her VAMS email yet to get scheduled. Curious if anyone else is still waiting? She checked her spam and nothing there either. Thanks.

Sue Doe-Nym 01-27-2021 12:56 PM

We did the same thing, and never received an email. Try 271-4028 (VAM) , or 271-8826. The 2nd number was the one that actually worked for getting an appointment. Hope it works for you.

smith point boater 01-27-2021 05:00 PM

Vaccine

I should have also mentioned that when you and a spouse/partner are arriving together the person who is the "ad -on" is not on any list. Even though you entered their name at time of registration the National Guard ha no knowledge of the 2nd person coming. Its not a problem in that they were very good at re-registering spouse but you need to have a smart phone and capable of receiving an email on site. It is the cause of most of the delays we experienced. They were 45 min behind when we arrived.