Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Options for trash disposal (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23271)

Jean 05-07-2018 08:30 PM

Options for trash disposal

We have weekly pickup at our primary residence and are realizing most towns around lakes region don't have trash pickup. What do people do with their trash if you don't own a truck? Any suggestions for how to transport it or options for pickup that don't involve leaving barrel at curb all week?

Hillcountry 05-07-2018 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jean (Post 294343)
We have weekly pickup at our primary residence and are realizing most towns around lakes region don't have trash pickup. What do people do with their trash if you don't own a truck? Any suggestions for how to transport it or options for pickup that don't involve leaving barrel at curb all week?

Lots of people use cars to make a dump...er...transfer station run...they make great heavy duty plastic bags nowadays! Get to say hey to the dump guy...then go out to breakfast on Saturday morning!

rsmlp 05-08-2018 04:41 AM

trash

On LI in Moultonboro I have a trash pickup service who pick up trash right from my garage AND doubles as our house watch person while we're in FL. Thanks Barbara!

Good Neighbor Services 707-9356

Jean 05-08-2018 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 294344)
Lots of people use cars to make a dump...er...transfer station run...they make great heavy duty plastic bags nowadays! Get to say hey to the dump guy...then go out to breakfast on Saturday morning!

Do you use a bin or something in car to prevent bag from tipping or do you double bag it or just only fill bags say 75% so they close completely? I have a hatchback so I'm trying to think how to prevent having a bag eventually rip or tip and leak in the car.

Jean 05-08-2018 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsmlp (Post 294346)
On LI in Moultonboro I have a trash pickup service who pick up trash right from my garage AND doubles as our house watch person while we're in FL. Thanks Barbara!

Good Neighbor Services 707-9356

That is a great idea! We would prefer southern side of the lake but this is a pro to consider for Moultonboro.

Hillcountry 05-08-2018 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jean (Post 294351)
Do you use a bin or something in car to prevent bag from tipping or do you double bag it or just only fill bags say 75% so they close completely? I have a hatchback so I'm trying to think how to prevent having a bag eventually rip or tip and leak in the car.

Tall kitchen bags are good for “general” use but often leak if you’ve not been careful about how “juicy” your trash is. I use the contractor bags sold at local Home Depot or Lowe’s stores. A large contractor bag will hold two or three of the kitchen bags and will not leak in the vehicle. The contractor bags have extra plastic at the top that you can gather and tie in a knot or two. If you don’t trust a knot you can tie the top with a plastic wire tie and it won’t open. Of course, it helps to try to keep the bag upright in the vehicle to avoid any possible spillage.
Liquid runs downhill, after all...happy dumping!
Another option is to install a liner in the hatch back floor area. Weather Tech has nice ones that are made specifically for your vehicle. Any leakage and the liner pops out for hosing off the nasty juice in your driveway.

MAXUM 05-08-2018 09:21 AM

Get a weather tech trunk liner... if you do have anything that leaks no big deal it will protect your carpet and easy to pull out and wash as needed.

Kamper 05-08-2018 07:56 PM

If your car has a hitch, you can get a cargo tray/frame. This will keep smells and leaks out of your car. You use rope, bungees, a spider or straps to secure the load. I have seen them with short side making them into a box.

Good luck!

Jean 05-08-2018 09:26 PM

Thank you all these are good suggestions! I have had enough incidents with carrying trash from inside barrel to outside barrel to know better than to just throw the bag into back of my car. Floor mats and contractor bags are both very good ideas. I don't think we can add trailer hitch to either of our cars :(

ishoot308 05-09-2018 07:02 AM

+1 For Contractor Bags!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jean (Post 294381)
Thank you all these are good suggestions! I have had enough incidents with carrying trash from inside barrel to outside barrel to know better than to just throw the bag into back of my car. Floor mats and contractor bags are both very good ideas. I don't think we can add trailer hitch to either of our cars :(

As a full time island resident, I can tell you that contractor bags are a way of life for us!! Everything goes in contractor bags before it's put on my boat and transported to the mainland.

As an fyi... If you have a Sam's club membership, they make and sell excellent contractor bags at a great price!

Dan

mcdude 05-09-2018 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXUM (Post 294357)
Get a weather tech trunk liner... if you do have anything that leaks no big deal it will protect your carpet and easy to pull out and wash as needed.

A regular old tarp from Ocean State Job Lot does the trick for me.....way cheaper than weather tech! (down and out on the OSJL side of the lake!)

Joebon 05-09-2018 07:51 AM

T&J Waste Management for the south side of the lake. 603-283-6680

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MAXUM 05-09-2018 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcdude (Post 294388)
(down and out on the OSJL side of the lake!)

^^ Now that's funny!

Kamper 05-09-2018 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jean (Post 294381)
... I don't think we can add trailer hitch to either of our cars :(

You'd be surprised what they can add a hitch to. U-Haul can do it but will attach their connector. Not a big deal since you can just splice regular 4-plug if you want one and they may drop the price for no wiring. A dealership probably has a 'factory' setup as well. I have had good luck with both ways.

You'd expect to spend $300-400 on this which would buy a lot of contractor bags!

K

phoenix 05-09-2018 04:04 PM

I have had a home in moultonboro for 30 years and go to dump regularly. They are open 5 days a week ( closed wed and Thursday). You will learn the busy times but it becomes an event

Macavity 05-09-2018 06:00 PM

If you recycle, you may not have as much in bags as you expect. We just use regular trash bags and double them up. Plastic, glass, and paper in cardboard boxes. It's pretty easy.

Mac

Rusty 05-09-2018 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcdude (Post 294388)
(down and out on the OSJL side of the lake!)

Now that there is funny! :laugh::laugh:

RCBrewer 06-10-2018 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 294344)

If you are in Meredith or Center Harbor, you can call Rich Brewer at 603-387-5245. He picks up trash and recycling once a week.