Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winni Pets (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Dog Friendly Swimming/Lake Access/Fields/Restaurants/etc! (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19013)

sarc 04-16-2015 02:40 PM

Dog Friendly Swimming/Lake Access/Fields/Restaurants/etc!

1 Attachment(s)
I know that's a really broad title, but I'm hoping to get some insight from everyone here on the best dog friendly places in the lakes region. I moved to Gilford at the end of the summer (previously lived in Scotland for 5 years, and then prior lived in PA and NY). I have 2 Border Collies (Jinx and Ace, males, 6yrs and 3 yrs) and we are extremely active! The dogs and I were really spoiled living in Scotland (no leash laws, no posted private property,the Right to Roam Act meant that we could walk/hike/play on anyones land and dogs were allowed inside pubs and restaurants).

We've had an awesome winter and did a lot of hiking and learned to skijor, And I'm excited for my first full summer here at the lake w the dogs. I can't get over all of the rules though and am trying to figure out how to give my boys the quality of life they had in Scotland while being respectful! I think I've sorted out most of the dog friendly hiking (it's amazing, we love exploring the woods!), but I'm really missing have large fields (preferably near water) that they could run full out in and play frisbee in. They're both learning disc tricks so an open field to practice in would be amazing!

NH seems like a fantastic place to live with dogs and it fits our very active, adventurous, outdoor lifestyle perfectly. However I'm having trouble finding information on places to take them and things I can do so we can make the most of everything the area has to offer. I'm also an emergency vet which means I work odd hours and its been tough trying to meet people who can show me new places and give me some insight. If we could get some information and start a list here of all of the places you love to go/explore/eat etc w your dogs that would be wonderful and would really help up settle into our new life and make the most of it!

Thank you so much! And if anyone wants to join us on any adventures, we'd love the company! -Sarah, Jinx and Ace

Greene's Basin Girl 04-16-2015 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarc (Post 243208)
I know that's a really broad title, but I'm hoping to get some insight from everyone here on the best dog friendly places in the lakes region. I moved to Gilford at the end of the summer (previously lived in Scotland for 5 years, and then prior lived in PA and NY). I have 2 Border Collies (Jinx and Ace, males, 6yrs and 3 yrs) and we are extremely active! The dogs and I were really spoiled living in Scotland (no leash laws, no posted private property,the Right to Roam Act meant that we could walk/hike/play on anyones land and dogs were allowed inside pubs and restaurants).

We've had an awesome winter and did a lot of hiking and learned to skijor, And I'm excited for my first full summer here at the lake w the dogs. I can't get over all of the rules though and am trying to figure out how to give my boys the quality of life they had in Scotland while being respectful! I think I've sorted out most of the dog friendly hiking (it's amazing, we love exploring the woods!), but I'm really missing have large fields (preferably near water) that they could run full out in and play frisbee in. They're both learning disc tricks so an open field to practice in would be amazing!

NH seems like a fantastic place to live with dogs and it fits our very active, adventurous, outdoor lifestyle perfectly. However I'm having trouble finding information on places to take them and things I can do so we can make the most of everything the area has to offer. I'm also an emergency vet which means I work odd hours and its been tough trying to meet people who can show me new places and give me some insight. If we could get some information and start a list here of all of the places you love to go/explore/eat etc w your dogs that would be wonderful and would really help up settle into our new life and make the most of it!

Thank you so much! And if anyone wants to join us on any adventures, we'd love the company! -Sarah, Jinx and Ace

You have 2 very beautiful dogs.

Misha888 04-17-2015 09:15 AM

In Gilford . . .

there are no dog friendly beaches I know of. Waterfront ownership is your only option here. Good luck in finding a place for your pooches. You might want to try the river off the Kangamangus but I'm not sure about the laws. I know in Gilford, dogs must be kept on a leash on the trails . . . though most everyone breaks that rule which is why I don't hike on the weekends.

And as far as restaurants, try them all. They're in short supply so you tend to get bored with the same ones.

mcdude 04-17-2015 11:19 AM

from a previous post on this topic

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...t=dog+friendly

Most lakes have a boat ramp. If you visit when there isn't a lot of launching going on both you and your dog can probably take a dip. If there is launching going on you should stick around as it is usually worth a laugh or two!