Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Lawn animal damage ? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27817)

bigdog 03-24-2022 09:33 PM

Lawn animal damage ?

1 Attachment(s)
I seem to have some lawn damage, just noticed after recent snow melt uncovered the damage. Damage appears to be isolated, close to edge of driveway. Area of damage is about 6'x8'. Trails are raised.....

Is this issue a result of Moles, voles, or some other vermin ?

I did some research on 'voles' and found this description: 'Moles dig for prey, sculpting subterranean housing and highways. Voles travel these tunnels but make their nests above ground. According to Bob Vila, they're more likely to create "runways," channels of chomped grass in service to finding tasty morsels.'

This exactly describes my lawn damage ! Could I have Voles looking for Grubs?

Thoughts ?

John Mercier 03-24-2022 10:22 PM

I would guess a mole/vole... but it seems a bit early for worms/grubs to be active. The weather has been unusual, and if you had an infestation last fall... the mole/vole would inhabit the area.

It is really hard to break the cycle, because other than milky spore, you would need to apply in spring and later in the year. I see a lot of people use Easter and July 4th.

But it seems like an infestation of beetle larva can simply move from one area to another quite easily.

bigdog 03-24-2022 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mercier (Post 368664)
I would guess a mole/vole... but it seems a bit early for worms/grubs to be active. The weather has been unusual, and if you had an infestation last fall... the mole/vole would inhabit the area.

It is really hard to break the cycle, because other than milky spore, you would need to apply in spring and later in the year. I see a lot of people use Easter and July 4th.

But it seems like an infestation of beetle larva can simply move from one area to another quite easily.

John.....
So you think 'beetle larva' is attracting the Moles/Voles ?

SAB1 03-25-2022 06:06 AM

Yup moles. Not uncommon to see when the snow melts away.

TiltonBB 03-25-2022 06:53 AM

I have had problems with moles for years. If you Google there are multiple solutions listed from poison to putting chewing gum in the holes because they will eat in and it clogs their system.

One year, every day when I went outside there were raised trails that I would go stomp down, only to have them reappear.

One morning, I stood quietly looking at the trail and could actually see it growing as the mole moved along underground. I went to the tool shed and got a metal rake and eliminated the mole. One down, many more to go!

(Please don't call the SPCA on me!)

pondguy 03-25-2022 07:28 AM

Juicy Fruit

Juicy fruit gum has worked for me they love it and then they are gone. :liplick:

WinnisquamZ 03-25-2022 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pondguy (Post 368669)
Juicy fruit gum has worked for me they love it and then they are gone. :liplick:

Wondering if that works for chipmunks

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

bigdog 03-25-2022 09:14 AM

Juicy fruit gum ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pondguy (Post 368669)

Pondguy.....
Interesting reply......
Exactly how did you apply the 'Juicy fruit gum' ?

pondguy 03-25-2022 09:27 AM

I use a half a stick in their runs of loose dirt in about a dozen places, it works.

Descant 03-25-2022 10:47 AM

Castor oil

Some years ago, I sprayed the yard with castor oil that I bought at the local garden center. I don't think it killed anything, but they left. Safe if you have pets or love the squirrels.

John Mercier 03-25-2022 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdog (Post 368666)
John.....
So you think 'beetle larva' is attracting the Moles/Voles ?

Beetle larva are what grubs generally are.
But only certain chemicals applied at certain times in the life cycle will have an effect.

And since a new infestation will occur after mature beetles find your nice green lawn and lay eggs... it can be an ongoing battle skipping some years, but reoccurring.

Lots of predators will either tunnel or dig for them as a food source once the ground warms enough for them to become active.