Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Veterans Day - Thank You to All Veterans (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28427)

TheProfessor 11-01-2022 06:47 PM

Veterans Day - Thank You to All Veterans

A day to thank all veterans for all of the service that they have provided to our country.

We are losing our WWII veterans, Korean War veterans, Vietnam war veterans, Gulf war veterans . . . and others.

Some had mundane jobs whilst others were shot at in combat situations.
All were important to the overall missions.

Some can walk but may have unseen wounds. Some may have mobility issues or more.

Some are dealing with Agent Orange issues, Camp Lejeune drinking water issues. And more.

Maybe seek out friends, neighbors, or relatives who have the energy and time to volunteer at the VA Hospital in Manchester or to volunteer at the Veterans Home in Tilton.

Thank you. All of you veterans.

Here are some offers to veterans on Veterans Day:

LINK

and

LINK

If you are a religious person how about a small prayer at your place of worship for those veterans that have issues or just may be alone on Veterans Day.

posas 11-02-2022 06:38 AM

Much prefer a thank you, as opposed to a "happy ? " veterans day, seems like the latter is an oxymoron..

Descant 11-02-2022 07:29 AM

Nov. 10

Before we get to Veteran's Day, remember to say "Happy Birthday" to your Maine friends on Nov. 10. That's the anniversary of the founding of USMC.
Semper Fi, Marines.

ApS 11-02-2022 07:52 AM

Thanks...

Thanks for this list. More can be found at Military.com.

I've been reminded that proof of military service can be found on one's driver's license. :idea: Most states have this available with their "Real I.D." card. To check your state or territory, look here: https://veteran.com/veterans-id-on-d...card-by-state/

This summer, when buying a new Smartphone, AT&T asked if I had a DD-214 form with me. If not, I had ten days to dig it out. IDK if AT&T would've accepted the Florida driver's license Veteran designation as proof, but there would have been a substantial discount! :look:

I winter in rural Florida, which has a considerable number of Veterans. I would need to arrive at 4-PM to find a parking spot, and there would still be long lines to contend with. (This, after a 8-mile drive). :rolleye2:

After serving in the U.S. Navy 52 years ago, I have exercised these discounts exactly twice! :rolleye1:

Speaking of "religious", a neighbor professes Atheism: Yesterday, I mentioned the use of side-scan detection in the recent discovery of the deepest shipwreck in the world. It is the USS Samuel B. Roberts, whose crew fought with unparalleled gallantry against a vastly superior force. It is legend among WWII defenders, being the smallest and slowest ship of the handful involved in the surprise "Taffy3" meet-up off the Philippines. Since my neighbor knew of this battle, his comment to me was, "Yes, I choke-up at the memory".

The last survivor passed away last March at age 98.

:patriot:

TheProfessor 11-03-2022 06:17 AM

From Bruce.

"Our group has a lot of fellow veterans, so I agreed to send this information out to all of you and ask you to spread the word to fellow veterans. They do not need to be from town for any of these events.

Thursday, November 10, 2022, at Moultonborough Central School from 10:00am – 11:00am, the Elementary school is having an assembly to honor Veterans. Many of you have attended this event before, though because of COVID it hasn’t been held the last two years. You should arrive at the school by 9:45am and the students will guide you in at the front of the school. This is a real fun event not only for the veterans but for the kids too. If you have questions, you can call MCS at (603) 476-5535

Saturday, November 12, 2022, at the Moultonborough Lion’s Club (Same as our breakfast) from 08:00am – 10:00am a FREE Breakfast will be served to all veterans and their family and friends who come. The breakfast will be catered by our very own Kevin Fisk and the breakfast is being put on by the Moultonborough Historical Society. There will be a social time from 08:00 – 08:30 and then the breakfast buffet will begin. Again, this was an event done prior to COVID and it was a great time for veterans, family, and friends. I did mention the food and coffee are FREE to all who come."

Donzi Minx 11-10-2022 09:19 AM

Veteran's Day

Thanks all of you for your service.

dippasan 11-10-2022 03:20 PM

Thank you

Sincere thanks to those patriots that have served, are serving and will serve in the future to protect our liberties

TheProfessor 11-10-2022 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donzi Minx (Post 378291)
Thanks all of you for your service.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dippasan (Post 378306)
Sincere thanks to those patriots that have served, are serving and will serve in the future to protect our liberties

Good to know there are two threads mentioning the importance of Veterans Day.

Mr. V 11-11-2022 11:17 AM

Never forget: They died so that we may live.

MeredithMan 11-17-2022 04:41 PM

Organizations that help Vets transition to Civilian careers..

I know there are a lot of Veterans on this Forum, so wondering if you might have some insight. A good friend of my daughter's is leaving active duty next Spring. He is in search of organizations that help Veterans bridge the gap from the military to a civilian career. He was ROTC in college and is a Registered Nurse and is a flight medic in the Air Force, but is considering different careers going forward.

Appreciate any thoughts you might have.
Thanks.

TheProfessor 11-18-2022 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeredithMan (Post 378466)
Appreciate any thoughts you might have.
Thanks.

Make an appointment to speak with someone at the Vet Center:
VET Center
1461 Hooksett Road
Suite B7
Hooksett, NH 03106-1882

The VET Centers are part of the Department of Veterans Affairs but not located at any VA hospital or VA clinic.
Employees and counselors are there to help veterans transition among many other programs.

Visit the Norris Cotton Building in Manchester.
Make an appointment to speak with someone at the American Legion.
Also located in same building is the VFW and the DAV - Disabled American Veterans. All would welcome any new veteran.
All can provide advice and assistance.

All above are provided no charge.