Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   History (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Laconia High Class Of 1903 (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14378)

AussieDog 07-06-2012 08:33 AM

Laconia High Class Of 1904

4 Attachment(s)
I believe this photo is the Laconia High School class of 1903. At the time the school building was located on Acadamy St near the present day court house.
This actually a photo from 1904 not 1903.
I also found a graduation program.

SIKSUKR 07-06-2012 02:26 PM

Wow,the guys had pretty good odds in that class.

RLW 07-06-2012 03:35 PM

Ya,wow. The dress was a tab bit different then verses todays standards. How many school kids do you see wearing ties/bow ties. Back in the fifties when I was in high school the boys wore ties and nice looking slacks and shined shores. What happened?????:)

RailroadJoe 07-06-2012 06:25 PM

RLW What happened. Rock & Roll.

SIKSUKR 07-09-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RailroadJoe (Post 185745)
RLW What happened. Rock & Roll.

Yup,probably Elvis.

BroadHopper 07-09-2012 03:41 PM

Edith May Piper

Her father Dr. Piper built the old family cottage off Terrace Hill Road in Gilford, NH. Her sister, Ruth befriend the family and provided much insight of Laconia and the lake.

NoBozo 07-09-2012 06:19 PM

PC Incorrect Memories

When I was in Grammar School (Grades 1-8) (Mid 50s)The boys had to take "Shop". The girls had to take "Home Economics". The girls had to learn to Cook..imagine that..AND... make their own dresses (sewing) for Graduation. The way it should be. :D NB

PS: Boys and Girls today.. Only need know how to TEXT.

AussieDog 07-10-2012 09:52 AM

Just To Clarify

Edith Piper is the young woman in the photo that is seated on the far left. I know this because she was my grandmother. Her father was not Dr. Piper. I don't think she was any relation to that family of Pipers.

Her claim to fame was the fact that her grandfather was Joshua Piper, who blazed the trail up Mt Chocorua in the 1860's. Her parents ran a tourist hotel called the Piper House that was directly across the road from the Piper trail on what is now Rt 16 in Albany NH.

I have some brochures of the old hotel that I will post if anyone is interested.

BroadHopper 07-10-2012 10:28 AM

Thanks for the clarification

Ruth Piper father, Dr Piper, office was located between what is now Meredith Villige Bank and Dunkin' Donuts on Main Street. Dr Piper was well known internationally for his iris plants. Ruth maintained an iris collection at that site until the Elks Club cleared the site. Ruth graduated from Laconia High School on Academy St.

There was an article in the Citizen about all the antiques artifacts that were stored in the house. It was a big Victorian house with beautiful wood turned moldings, stairways etc. Too bad it was all destroyed.

I recall Ruth talking about a sister, I assume Edith must be her. It is a small town.

Ruth retired from Fryeburg Academy where she teached Latin. She was also an excellent piano player and teaches piano.

Rattlesnake Guy 07-13-2012 08:03 PM

When I was a lad, I climbed the Piper trail many times.

bigpatsfan 07-24-2012 10:30 AM

Pretty heavy stuff being discussed at a graduation.

“Is Japan justified in her demands upon Russia?”

"Russia: Our friend in need”