Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Boating Safety Certificate (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25868)

Steve C. 06-04-2020 11:05 PM

Boating Safety Certificate

We are looking at getting back onto the lake after 15 years with no boat. When they announced the boating certificates were going to be required way back when, my wife and I did the online course which had no proctored exam. We received the certificates in the mail. Are these considered good? I just didn't know if when they went to the proctored exam if it rendered the early ones invalid. I am assuming that they are good since you can now take the course and test online again due to Covid.

Thanks for any info,

Steve

ishoot308 06-04-2020 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve C. (Post 336224)
We are looking at getting back onto the lake after 15 years with no boat. When they announced the boating certificates were going to be required way back when, my wife and I did the online course which had no proctored exam. We received the certificates in the mail. Are these considered good? I just didn't know if when they went to the proctored exam if it rendered the early ones invalid. I am assuming that they are good since you can now take the course and test online again due to Covid.

Thanks for any info,

Steve

You are good to go!!

Dan

Barney Bear 06-05-2020 05:48 AM

Bon Voyage

Your certificates are forever valid. 🐻

Major 06-05-2020 02:41 PM

Online Certificate

I have read and reread the following, and can't determine whether someone can obtain a boating certificate by taking and passing the online course.

Field Operations Bureau
Marine Patrol Unit
Boating Education Program

COVID-19 UPDATE

*** The State Police Marine Patrol Unit is pleased to announced the passing of Governor Sununu’s Emergency Order #29 in response to the challenges presented to perspective boaters by the COVID 19 pandemic. This emergency order waives the proctored exam requirement for all persons who have previously taken the NH Online Boating Safety Course. This rule also applies to those wishing to complete the online course during New Hampshire’s current State of Emergency.***

It seems like the answer is yes. Does anyone know for sure?

Knomad 06-06-2020 06:59 AM

The full text on the web site reads as follows:
COVID-19 UPDATE

*** The State Police Marine Patrol Unit is pleased to announced the passing of Governor Sununu’s Emergency Order #29 in response to the challenges presented to perspective boaters by the COVID 19 pandemic. This emergency order waives the proctored exam requirement for all persons who have previously taken the NH Online Boating Safety Course. This rule also applies to those wishing to complete the online course during New Hampshire’s current State of Emergency.***

THOSE PERSONS WHO HAVE PREVIOUSLY PASSED THE ONLINE COURSE AND WERE WAITING FOR A PROCTORED EXAM, YOU WILL BE RECEIVING EMAILED INSTRUCTIONS OVER THE NEXT 7-10 DAYS FOR DOWNLOADING A 90 DAY TEMPORARY CERTIFICATE. YOUR PERMANENT CARD WILL ALSO BE MAILED TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDED AT THE TIME OF COURSE REGISTRATION. PLEASE CONTINUE TO MONITOR THIS WEBSITE FOR UPDATES.

IN THE MEANTIME, THE NH LAW REQUIRING ALL BOAT OPERATORS TO CARRY PROOF OF BOATING EDUCATION WHILE OPERATING A BOAT IN EXCESS OF 25 HORSEPOWER REMAINS IN FULL AFFECT.

This means that for now, if you take the on-line course and pass the on-line test at the end of the course, you will receive a 90 day temporary certificate and you will also receive your permanent certificate in the mail. The requirement to take the proctored exam in order to get your certificate is not required. This is only temporary.
Classroom training classes have been canceled until at least June 15th. No decisions have been make as to when and how classes may open up after that date.

ishoot308 06-06-2020 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major (Post 336258)
I have read and reread the following, and can't determine whether someone can obtain a boating certificate by taking and passing the online course.

Field Operations Bureau
Marine Patrol Unit

COVID-19 UPDATE

You can take an online course from any state that administers the NASBLA course. There are MANY... Even if you live in NH, you are allowed to take the online course from another State that does not do proctored exams and receive your boating certificate from them. Loophole yes, completely legal yes....

Dan

Steve C. 06-06-2020 01:15 PM

Thanks. Now I just have to find them. Went online and they don't know who I am to order replacement......

upthesaukee 06-06-2020 03:08 PM

Hint

When you do find it, take a picture and keep it on your phone, and also put a copy in the floating key fob for your boat.

I did that, plus had the card issued by NH in my wallet, and was never asked for it. :)

Dave

persistence 06-07-2020 04:52 PM

I’ve asked for NASBLA replacements a few times from FL. I recently just replied back to them via email and they sent out another within a week. Check if you have any email records.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8gv 06-07-2020 10:52 PM

In what state were the certificates issued?

In CT they have a system of connecting your Safe Boating Certificate to your "Conservation Id." number.

If you have that number you can get a document that looks like a fishing license but is only for the boating requirement.

This will have the appropriate NASBLA logo on it.

Any old fishing license bought online may have credential on it.

I do not know what other states have this system.

Major 06-08-2020 04:39 AM

My family member ended up taking the Florida online course that was sponsored by USBoats. It is a NASBLA approved course and it’s free! She should receive the license in 3-4 weeks. Thanks for the help.

Steve C. 06-08-2020 11:15 PM

I found them. I got it on 4/18/2005. Think that was still before they were required.

Thanks again for the info,

Steve

Cam6499 06-14-2020 07:42 AM

We too are getting back in, I also have my certificate from 2007.
Where do I go online to change my home address?

Knomad 06-14-2020 12:31 PM

You will need to get a replacement card at www.ILostMyCard.com.

Major 06-16-2020 09:14 AM

Update

My family member received her Boating Card from Florida on Saturday. All told, it took less than one week from taking the course and test and receiving the Card, without paying a penny!

FlyingScot 06-16-2020 11:09 AM

This is a great example of something working better during COVID than before. No need to travel/schedule course or testing; just do it at home

ishoot308 06-16-2020 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 336836)
This is a great example of something working better during COVID than before. No need to travel/schedule course or testing; just do it at home

The simple online course was the way it was done over a dozen years ago...Some people started to complain that a proctored exam was totally necessary as the online course was too easy, that's why NH changed to a proctored exam....Now it once again has changed back to an online course and is now somehow the greatest thing since sliced bread!...Go figure...:rolleye2::rolleye2:

Dan

FlyingScot 06-16-2020 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 336845)
The simple online course was the way it was done over a dozen years ago...Some people started to complain that a proctored exam was totally necessary as the online course was too easy, that's why NH changed to a proctored exam....Now it once again has changed back to an online course and is now somehow the greatest thing since sliced bread!...Go figure...:rolleye2::rolleye2:

Dan

The online test is new--15 minutes at home anytime compared to a 2 hour travel commitment at a specific time to take the test at the station. Yes--it IS thew greatest thing since sliced bread! Or perhaps the greatest thing since the canned beer you can enjoy while taking the test?

ishoot308 06-16-2020 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 336850)
The online test is new--

My point was that it's NOT new...it was done this exact way over a dozen years ago!

Dan

Descant 06-17-2020 01:10 PM

Only in NH

We still don't have a way to tell boaters with out of state certificates about our unique buoy system or our unique safe passage rule. The result is adding more and more NWZ where the need is questionable-Meredith, Glendale, Eagle Island--when no other boats are present.

Steve24249 06-24-2020 04:11 PM

Hi All.

I just took the online class and test on BoatEd. Will N.H. Marine Patrol mail me a card? I have the temporary 120 day certificate, but I want to make sure I’m completely lawful before boating on the lake. My friends N.H. card has eye color, hair color, height... etc. I never got asked those questions...only had to confirm I was a male. Thanks in advance.

Major 06-24-2020 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve24249 (Post 337397)
Hi All.

I just took the online class and test on BoatEd. Will N.H. Marine Patrol mail me a card? I have the temporary 120 day certificate, but I want to make sure I’m completely lawful before boating on the lake. My friends N.H. card has eye color, hair color, height... etc. I never got asked those questions...only had to confirm I was a male. Thanks in advance.

As long as it is an NASBLA approved course you should be all set.

Phantom 06-25-2020 06:16 AM

Steve -

Often times MP will ask for a picture ID when they make a Stop. This can be drivers license (or in the case of a minor their High School ID). They use this to verify the name coincides with the face.

Your 120 Day piece of paper is perfectly legal.

Sue Doe-Nym 06-25-2020 09:50 AM

Crossing my fingers

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major (Post 336829)
My family member received her Boating Card from Florida on Saturday. All told, it took less than one week from taking the course and test and receiving the Card, without paying a penny!

I am hoping the Florida boating course works for us. Our twin granddaughters are 16, and would be thrilled to be able to take the jet skis out alone....and their grandparents would be happy not to be passengers on the rear of the machines! We hope they act on the information we sent them. Thanks, Major.

persistence 06-25-2020 09:53 AM

FL is part of NASBLA so it counts. Take the cards with you. I recently asked FL For another card and they sent it right out. So now I can keep one in the boat ;)

Patofnaud 06-25-2020 02:44 PM

One suggestion, even if you have an out of state card and are legal,, take the time to read up on Winni-centric laws and rules and pass them on to the kids.

150 from shore, 150 passing, red top = sw, black top =ne, Gunstock tower is south when you are on the west side of the lake, MT Major is south on the east side,,, oh and if there are more bouys that you are comfortable with, you should not be there,, that kind of stuff that is unique. It will make for a well-spent 30 mins. :)

Thundra 07-02-2020 07:16 AM

Brand new to the forum here. I'm glad it exists as there is a LOT of good information regarding boating/visiting the lake. I got my NASBLA/NH safe boating card/certificate a few days ago and only had to wait about 2-3 weeks for it to arrive after having taken the course at boat-ed.

thinkxingu 07-02-2020 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thundra (Post 337943)
Brand new to the forum here. I'm glad it exists as there is a LOT of good information regarding boating/visiting the lake. I got my NASBLA/NH safe boating card/certificate a few days ago and only had to wait about 2-3 weeks for it to arrive after having taken the course at boat-ed.

Welcome to the forum!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Thundra 07-02-2020 08:31 AM

Thank you.

I've been reading for the past few weeks and once I got my permanent, plastic card in the mail, I had to join, and post and share.

Sue Doe-Nym 07-10-2020 10:08 PM

Hurrah!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major (Post 336829)

Our twin granddaughters took the Florida course sponsored by Boats US... they did it online, passed the course, and were able to print out the certificates! I was certain that we would be riding on the rear of the jet skis again this year, but the whole thing took them 5 days. Happy grandparents.
😎

jpregman 08-02-2020 09:41 AM

Old Boating Safety Certificate from 1988

1 Attachment(s)
I just found this going through my parents papers. I took the course and completed it back in 1988. There is a completion date, but no expiration date.

My question is, is this still valid? It would be great if they could just issue me a new card instead of taking the course again. I know, new regs and rules have come out in the 30 years since I completed the course.

XCR-700 08-02-2020 09:50 AM

One and done, you are good forever! Well thats my understanding.

WinnisquamZ 08-02-2020 09:51 AM

Can’t see why not.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

VitaBene 08-02-2020 09:52 AM

I would keep that photo on my phone and go with it!

Descant 08-02-2020 02:06 PM

Welcome

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpregman (Post 340407)
I just found this going through my parents papers. I took the course and completed it back in 1988. There is a completion date, but no expiration date.

My question is, is this still valid? It would be great if they could just issue me a new card instead of taking the course again. I know, new regs and rules have come out in the 30 years since I completed the course.

Welcome to the Forum. You can always run through the course on line again as a refresher. You just don't need to take the exam. Many people copy and laminate the certificate and carry it with the registration. MP issues a plastic wallet card now, but I think the cost is $10. Easier if you need the card for an out of state situation.

tis 08-02-2020 05:55 PM

Can't you get replacements if you lose it just like you can for your driver's license? I thought you could.

whalebackpoint'r 08-02-2020 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major (Post 336258)

Field Operations Bureau
Marine Patrol Unit

COVID-19 UPDATE

Yes, my daughter in PA just last week completed the course and passed. She was able to print out her own certificate.