Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Restaurants that posters have given bad reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25512)

lakewinnie 04-01-2020 09:16 AM

Restaurants that posters have given bad reviews

I would give anything to be able to go to a restaurant right now that posters have previously given bad reviews on this forum. Even if the service is slow or there are noisy kids a few tables away, or the steak was too rare or too well-done.

WinnisquamZ 04-01-2020 09:19 AM

I will second that. With that said, wondering how seating and placement in restaurants change due to this event

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

thinkxingu 04-01-2020 09:21 AM

"Don't know whatcha got..."
On the other hand, just think how sweet the return will be! I can't wait for a seafood platter from The Bob House, BBQ at Yankee Smokehouse, a pizza at The Mug or Giuseppe's...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

phoenix 04-01-2020 12:17 PM

I agree but the VK will be my first stop.

Biggd 04-01-2020 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 330157)
"Don't know whatcha got..."
On the other hand, just think how sweet the return will be! I can't wait for a seafood platter from The Bob House, BBQ at Yankee Smokehouse, a pizza at The Mug or Giuseppe's...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

I really miss The Bob House!:(

Mr. V 04-01-2020 06:21 PM

Quote:

I would give anything to be able to go to a restaurant right now that posters have previously given bad reviews on this forum.
Your point is that you'd be happy to dine at pretty much ANY local restaurant; hello, cabin fever.

However they'll all reopen at the same so you'll be able to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Jersey Bob 04-01-2020 07:15 PM

Restaurants

And when they finally open you probably won't be able to get in.

WeLoveTheLake 04-02-2020 01:12 PM

Italian Farm House.... Yummmm

ACME on the Broads 04-04-2020 05:30 PM

Back to the pizza

Or Elvios......rooting for you guys, love your pizza!

VitaBene 04-04-2020 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACME on the Broads (Post 330707)
Or Elvios......rooting for you guys, love your pizza!

They were steady the other day.

dippasan 04-20-2020 06:42 AM

Just gimme Pop's

I see that the outside menu sign is up.
Wondering if he'll open early because school is closed (plenty of help)
I suspect the line will be across the street with police directing traffic.

upthesaukee 04-20-2020 07:29 AM

From a FB post in late March

In response to a question about when he planned to open, he responded:

Quote:

We traditionally open on the first Saturday in May. Not sure if we can do that right now. I am going to re-evaluate at the end of next week.
I'm sure one major concern is the closeness under which the employees have to work, and the closeness of the customers waiting for their orders. Certainly a lot to think about from his perspective.

Dave

LIforrelaxin 04-20-2020 02:42 PM

So as I looked through this said... I saw a few points, that yes I agree with, what will it be like, when we can go back to restaurants....

But Honestly the question I have right now, is how many restaurants aren't going to be able to open back up after this. Certainly there are the places that should be able to weather the storm, in the lakes region, places that come to mind, are the Common Man and its off shoots, Center Harbor Dinner, Buckey's to name a few.... But those places have along history, and dedicated clientele.

There are countless places, that don't have long records, or don't have a strong clientele list. what will become of them..... What about the places that depend on a strong, summer season etc.

The effects of this period are yet to be told, the longer we stay clamped down, unable to move and socialize like we did before, the more at risk, many business become. The cost of starting a restaurant back up, with food orders etc. might be enough to make some owners decide it just isn't worth it...

Anyway I will stop my rambling.....

hd333 04-20-2020 03:30 PM

What restaurants in the lakes region are “surviving” now in the new environment?

We have not been up since early March.

I’m partial to Meredith/Center Harbor/Moultonborough.

Is the Bob House or Canoe doing takeout? If so anyone know how business is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggd 04-20-2020 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hd333 (Post 332365)
What restaurants in the lakes region are “surviving” now in the new environment?

We've only ordered out 2 times and both were Common Mam restaurants, Lago's and Town Docks. Both were very good. Town docks seemed to be busy this past Saturday at dinner time. They give you a time slot and parking number and bring it out to your car.
I'll bet the owner of Faro's is sooo glad he shut down when he did!

winni83 04-20-2020 04:08 PM

We have done take out from the Village Kitchen, Bob House, Lemon Grass, Canoe and Lake House. All were very good and appreciative of the business and the tip. Some fried food may not be the best take out choice.

VitaBene 04-20-2020 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hd333 (Post 332365)

HD, Bob and Canoe are both doing takeout and seem to be doing OK. ElMariachi just reopened. I think the only place in town not open is the Woodshed.

Newbiesaukee 04-26-2020 12:03 PM

We have gotten takeout from Lemongrass twice...it was just cooked and put in our car. Delicious.

gravy boat 04-28-2020 11:26 AM

Takeout

We have found that restaurants already experienced at high volume takeout seem to do best with it.
I will say that Patrick's and Lyon's Den did very well, too!

jbolty 04-28-2020 12:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)

skprbob 04-28-2020 09:54 PM

another

The Pine Cone Pub in Melvin Village is also doing take-out.

VitaBene 04-29-2020 08:06 AM

Chinese

Probably the most difficult food to find has been Chinese. I called 5 places last week and all were closed. I called Seabird yesterday and they were open, so I took the drive- it is fantastic.

JEEPONLY 04-29-2020 08:06 AM

Great place!

Meaning Pine Cone Pub!

upthesaukee 04-29-2020 08:12 AM

JP China in Alton

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaBene (Post 333381)
Probably the most difficult food to find has been Chinese. I called 5 places last week and all were closed. I called Seabird yesterday and they were open, so I took the drive- it is fantastic.

JP China in Alton Bay. Closed Tue & Wed.

They ask that you call in early and give them a time you want to pick up. Helps the kitchen from getting slammed. 875-8899.

They post daily on FB. Check them out there at JP China.

Dave

VitaBene 04-29-2020 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 333385)
JP China in Alton Bay. Closed Tue & Wed.

They ask that you call in early and give them a time you want to pick up. Helps the kitchen from getting slammed. 875-8899.

They post daily on FB. Check them out there at JP China.

Dave

I like JP China, usually stop on an around the lake motorcycle ride. The biggest problem I have is that pop's is right there too! Once I splash the boat, I will take that to JP- fastest route for me.

Hillcountry 04-29-2020 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakewinnie (Post 330155)
I would give anything to be able to go to a restaurant right now that posters have previously given bad reviews on this forum. Even if the service is slow or there are noisy kids a few tables away, or the steak was too rare or too well-done.

Blasphemy! A steak cannot be “too rare” :D
That said, except for O Steakhouse and maybe 2 others (over 50+ years of appreciating a great steak), my best steaks have been from my own grill.
But I digress and agree...open the restaurants again!

VitaBene 04-29-2020 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 333411)
Blasphemy! A steak cannot be “too rare” :D
That said, except for O Steakhouse and maybe 2 others (over 50+ years of appreciating a great steak), my best steaks have been from my own grill.
But I digress and agree...open the restaurants again!

Have you cooked sous vide yet. Steaks are pretty fantastic- cooked edge to edge how ever you like. Finish in Cast iron skillet... yum.

I like grilling them and completely cast iron cooking (stovetop and in oven) them too:)

jbolty 04-29-2020 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaBene (Post 333422)
Have you cooked sous vide yet. Steaks are pretty fantastic- cooked edge to edge how ever you like. Finish in Cast iron skillet... yum.

I like grilling them and completely cast iron cooking (stovetop and in oven) them too:)

I bought a sous vide gadget a few months ago and then forgot all about it; still in the box. What temp do you cook the steaks to? 120 or so?

TheRoBoat 04-29-2020 10:54 AM

It's a combination of time and temp

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbolty (Post 333424)
I bought a sous vide gadget a few months ago and then forgot all about it; still in the box. What temp do you cook the steaks to? 120 or so?

With a sous vide - it is time and temperature. So - you are looking for X degrees for Y hours. It gets the food to temperature relatively quickly, the tenderness comes from the time.

EX - my #1 from a sous vide is boneless pork chops. 1.5", 140 degrees, 2 hours. Very hot cast iron to finish. As good as you will ever have

VitaBene 04-29-2020 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbolty (Post 333424)

Medium rare- 129. I don't get fancy. A little olive oil with a good seasoning of salt and pepper and in the bag it goes. I use freezer bags and cook in a stockpot. i'll go 2 hours with a thick, good cut of steak.

jbolty 04-29-2020 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaBene (Post 333430)
Medium rare- 129. I don't get fancy. A little olive oil with a good seasoning of salt and pepper and in the bag it goes. I use freezer bags and cook in a stockpot. i'll go 2 hours with a thick, good cut of steak.

apparently big brother is watching because this literally just popped up on my facebook, in this case it's worthwhile information

https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/03/...ook-steak.html

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/...ide-steak.html

VitaBene 04-29-2020 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbolty (Post 333433)
apparently big brother is watching because this literally just popped up on my facebook, in this case it's worthwhile information

https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/03/...ook-steak.html

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/...ide-steak.html

Thanks- that is good info. I like cooking for a group, the sous vide allows you to concentrate on all of the side stuff without having to worry about the main event!

mcdude 04-29-2020 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 332310)
In response to a question about when he planned to open, he responded:

I'm sure one major concern is the closeness under which the employees have to work, and the closeness of the customers waiting for their orders. Certainly a lot to think about from his perspective.

Dave

Pop just posted on FB that he would open on May 9.

chipj29 04-29-2020 04:28 PM

I hope that when places do reopen, us restaurant critics go easy on all of them. It’s been a very rough ride for each and every one of them, and it’s not going to easy for a lot of them to reopen. Staffing in particular is going to be very challenging.
Be patient. Be nice. And enjoy the heck out of those first meals and beverages.

SAMIAM 04-30-2020 07:28 AM

Quote:

I like mine at 120.....but try finishing with clarified butter instead of olive oil.Tolerates heat just as well and gives a great flavor

ishoot308 04-30-2020 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chipj29 (Post 333478)
I hope that when places do reopen, us restaurant critics go easy on all of them. It’s been a very rough ride for each and every one of them, and it’s not going to easy for a lot of them to reopen. Staffing in particular is going to be very challenging.
Be patient. Be nice. And enjoy the heck out of those first meals and beverages.

I wish this could happen but look at the "Pop's Clamshell" thread...already we have someone bashing Pop's from a prior experience and they are not even open for business yet. Can't even let them open to try and make a living during this crisis without putting them down.

Unfortunately your not going to change nasty / hateful people...

Dan

granitebox 04-30-2020 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 333529)
I wish this could happen but look at the "Pop's Clamshell" thread...already we have someone bashing Pop's from a prior experience and they are not even open for business yet. Can't even let them open to try and make a living during this crisis without putting them down.

Dan

And of course its a new member, one of first 10 posts......

pops 05-01-2020 01:59 PM

Quote:

Dan

My Dad always told me. “If you don’t have haters you’re not trying hard enough “. No worries. We have plenty of people that love us. I’ve built up a tough leathery hide over the years.
Pop’s

Billy Bob 05-02-2020 06:50 AM

Quote:

Dan

A review would or should always be based on a prior experience. And what the review said wasent all that bad. It would not have prevented me from trying the place.
Only posting nice reviews of every establishment in the area dosent really accomplish anything and lacks credibility

Outdoorsman 05-06-2020 01:14 PM

Quote:

I MUST buy one of these gadgets! I am confused though as to what you guys are referring to. I see a wide range of options.

This would be worthy of a trial and error purchase. Even if I don't like it, not a huge loss.
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/wes...SABEgLU9vD_BwE

But I would be reluctant to purchase the "real deal"?
https://sousvidesupreme.com/products...eme-touch-plus

Are you guys referring to the more expensive one?

tis 05-07-2020 07:08 PM

Does anybody know if O's in Wolfeboro one of the ones that is taking the hit? The sign is gone and I wondered if that mean they won't open after this is over. (if it ever is) I haven't heard anything.

VitaBene 05-08-2020 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outdoorsman (Post 334132)
I MUST buy one of these gadgets! I am confused though as to what you guys are referring to. I see a wide range of options.

This would be worthy of a trial and error purchase. Even if I don't like it, not a huge loss.
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/wes...SABEgLU9vD_BwE

But I would be reluctant to purchase the "real deal"?
https://sousvidesupreme.com/products...eme-touch-plus

Are you guys referring to the more expensive one?

I use the Joule brand, Anova is good as well. The Joule is smartphone operated only, it has no controls. I usually cook in a big stochastic pot, but have used more shallow plastic totes for things like ribs.
https://www.amazon.com/ChefSteps-Jou.../dp/B01M8MMLBI

Thill 05-08-2020 09:12 AM

3 Attachment(s)
taken this am. Signs are up!! They will open when inside dining is available

[ATTACH][ATTACH]Attachment 15961

Attachment 15962

Attachment 15963[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

tis 05-08-2020 03:31 PM

So they WILL be opening then? It doesn't say O's specifically but it is?

Thill 05-08-2020 05:09 PM

Thats what they told me, they are closed due the emergency order in place