Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Moultonborough Ice House (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25388)

hemlock 03-02-2020 02:05 PM

Moultonborough Ice House

Hi
Does anyone here on the forum have information on a Moultonborough ice house? I think it might have been near the Old Country Store.

I remember that my grandfather used to buy blocks of ice when we camped at Camp Iroquois on Moultonborough Neck. I remember them dipping it in a barrel of water to wash off the sawdust.

duocat 03-03-2020 09:34 AM

Moultonborough Ice House

Up through the early 1960's there was an ice house on Moultonborough Neck. It was next to and run by McCormacks store now known as "Jo Jo's".
A consumer would go in the ice house push the sawdust off of a large block of ice, score the block to the size desired with a saw that was in the house then break off the piece they wanted. There were ice tongs there which the consumer would use to pick up the block being purchased and hang it on a scale to determine it's weight. The customer would then go into the store and pay Mrs. McCormack for the purchase. In my youth my father and I would go there to fill the cooler.

SAB1 03-03-2020 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duocat (Post 327161)
Up through the early 1960's there was an ice house on Moultonborough Neck. It was next to and run by McCormacks store now known as "Jo Jo's".
A consumer would go in the ice house push the sawdust off of a large block of ice, score the block to the size desired with a saw that was in the house then break off the piece they wanted. There were ice tongs there which the consumer would use to pick up the block being purchased and hang it on a scale to determine it's weight. The customer would then go into the store and pay Mrs. McCormack for the purchase. In my youth my father and I would go there to fill the cooler.

Man that brings back memories. I can still see her sitting by the register as I approached with my hands full of candy. Dot was her name if I recall correctly.

jbolty 03-03-2020 10:21 AM

On a smaller scale Robbin's store in center harbor had a small sawdust ice house a million years ago, maybe 6x6x6

duocat 03-03-2020 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAB1 (Post 327164)
Man that brings back memories. I can still see her sitting by the register as I approached with my hands full of candy. Dot was her name if I recall correctly.

Her name was Dot and in addition to candy she usually had homemade pastries for sale. The local ladies would bake fruit tarts and fig squares and Dot would have them at the register.

whalebackpoint'r 03-03-2020 10:33 AM

The Homestead Farm, now known as the Olde Orchard Inn, had an ice house on the property. As far as I know, it is still there. My folks would stop at the Homestead Farm to pick up their oars and oarlocks and a block of ice before rowing out to their camp. Many of the island campers near Lees Mill did the same back in the early 1900s. There was a rack on the wall in the barn where oars and oarlocks were stored and each camp had their camp name on the rack.

whalebackpoint'r 03-03-2020 10:48 AM

If you are interested in some of the early history of the Homestead Farm, here are a couple of links you may enjoy. These videos can also be found on the Moultonborough Historical Society website.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmlcfe2l9WQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbwB8yNMC4E

hemlock 03-03-2020 11:06 AM

Lees mills camps

Quote:

Originally Posted by whalebackpoint'r (Post 327167)
The Homestead Farm, now known as the Olde Orchard Inn, had an ice house on the property. As far as I know, it is still there. My folks would stop at the Homestead Farm to pick up their oars and oarlocks and a block of ice before rowing out to their camp. Many of the island campers near Lees Mill did the same back in the early 1900s. There was a rack on the wall in the barn where oars and oarlocks were stored and each camp had their camp name on the rack.

I own one of those old camps. We have no electricity so ice is a necessary part of our trips. In our exploration we have found two sunken wooden rowboats in front of the camp and up a stream leading into the so called "Haith"

Camping at Camp Iroquois with my Grandfather is what introduced me to the lake.

I am guessing that the Icehouse on Moultonborough neck is probably the one he stopped at as it would have been on the way.

Very interesting history.

Would you know any history of the old Fogg camp?

dpg 03-04-2020 07:48 AM

Jeez you people are old. :D:D

whalebackpoint'r 03-04-2020 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpg (Post 327203)
Jeez you people are old. :D:D

So? With a little luck you will be old some day too.

whalebackpoint'r 03-04-2020 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemlock (Post 327172)
I own one of those old camps. We have no electricity so ice is a necessary part of our trips. In our exploration we have found two sunken wooden rowboats in front of the camp and up a stream leading into the so called "Haith"

Camping at Camp Iroquois with my Grandfather is what introduced me to the lake.

I am guessing that the Icehouse on Moultonborough neck is probably the one he stopped at as it would have been on the way.

Very interesting history.

Would you know any history of the old Fogg camp?

Which one is the Fogg camp?

hemlock 03-04-2020 05:49 PM

Fogg camp

Directly across from the old Marcus camp near the loon nest.

sluggo 03-05-2020 04:35 PM

1925 ice house

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 15640 this is an ice house that I will be rebuilding . It was built sometime during the 20s in the area of Smith point

whalebackpoint'r 03-05-2020 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemlock (Post 327251)
Directly across from the old Marcus camp near the loon nest.

That's what I thought. I'll work on that and post later.

smith point boater 03-06-2020 07:29 AM

sluggo - Where is that on Smith Point??

Pineedles 03-06-2020 09:14 AM

An ice-house with windows?

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

sluggo 03-06-2020 09:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
its almost right across from Smith Point on the 109 side off of Fir tree lane . We rebuilt the boat house there a couple years ago. this is looking at red hill from inside.

sluggo 03-06-2020 09:30 AM

Pineedles over the years the ice house has changed a bit but its still functional and its such a great piece of history !

Barney Bear 03-06-2020 02:37 PM

East Bear Island Ice House

An ice house circa 1914 located on East Bear Island was converted to a guest house in the late 1960's. 🐻

TheTimeTraveler 03-06-2020 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sluggo (Post 327289)
Attachment 15640 this is an ice house that I will be rebuilding . It was built sometime during the 20s in the area of Smith point

I'm confident that the walls are very thick!