Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boat Repairs & Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Cleaning Vinyl Pontoon Floor (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25953)

thinkxingu 06-23-2020 04:46 PM

Cleaning Vinyl Pontoon Floor

Greetings, forum friends!

I've noticed Boatie Two's floor is getting grungy. What's the best way to clean it? The trick: we beach it, so I don't have a water hose. I can get power if necessary, but there's no close enough hose for a power washer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

ishoot308 06-23-2020 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 337331)

I've noticed Boatie Two's floor is getting grungy. What's the best way to clean it? The trick: we beach it, so I don't have a water hose. I can get power if necessary, but there's no close enough hose for a power washer.

The easiest way is a power washer. If you don’t have that a five gallon bucket of lake water and a deck brush on the end of a mop handle. Water only as cleaner when on the lake.

Dan

upthesaukee 06-23-2020 06:37 PM

G. I. Party

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 337335)
The easiest way is a power washer. If you don’t have that a five gallon bucket of lake water and a deck brush on the end of a mop handle. Water only as cleaner when on the lake.

Dan

Back in the 60's (for me), it was it was me and my newest best buddy on our hands and knees with scrub brushes in hand (not on a handle) and it was scrub-a-dub with a mop brigade behind us, mopping up the water.

On our boat, my wife took care of the upholstery and fiber glass up higher, and I had the pleasure of doing scrub-a-dub dub with a crew of three, Me, Myself, and I.

And unless we were in our driveway, only water and the brush. Amazing what can be done with elbow grease and water.

Dave

Hillcountry 06-23-2020 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 337331)

Rent or buy (for future use) an electric steam cleaner...problem solved.
No chemicals needed and all the pizza, clam and ice cream residue will flush away! ;)

thinkxingu 06-23-2020 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 337346)
Rent or buy (for future use) an electric steam cleaner...problem solved.
No chemicals needed and all the pizza, clam and ice cream residue will flush away! ;)

I'll look into that.

It's not possible to use lake water with a power washer, right?

Hillcountry 06-23-2020 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 337352)
I'll look into that.

It's not possible to use lake water with a power washer, right?

I believe with the “homeowner” version of pressure washer you need water pressure from a hose. A More expensive or commercial unit may be able to pump its own water?

Hillcountry 06-23-2020 10:31 PM

Use caution with hot steam though as there are lots of plastic parts on boats. Concentrating the nozzle on a vinyl floor should yield good results and may require a bit of brush work as well.

thinkxingu 06-24-2020 06:28 AM

I think I'll try lake water and a deck brush. Anyone have suggestions for a long handled one? My knees don't take kindly to hard surfaces anymore!

ishoot308 06-24-2020 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 337360)
I think I'll try lake water and a deck brush. Anyone have suggestions for a long handled one? My knees don't take kindly to hard surfaces anymore!

You can buy long broom handles that screw in to your deck brush at Lowe's or any hardware store for that matter for cheap money. Lowe's may even have the deck brush...if not Parafunalia definitely does...

Dan

thinkxingu 06-24-2020 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 337364)
You can buy long broom handles that screw in to your deck brush at Lowe's or any hardware store for that matter for cheap money. Lowe's may even have the deck brush...if not Parafunalia definitely does...

Dan

Ok, so just a regular deck brush. Thanks.

Can I use a bucket of cleaner and just dry up with cloths/towels or would having the cleaner on the deck at all eventually make is its way into the water?

ishoot308 06-24-2020 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 337367)
Ok, so just a regular deck brush. Thanks.

Can I use a bucket of cleaner and just dry up with cloths/towels or would having the cleaner on the deck at all eventually make is its way into the water?

No cleaner needed...you will be very surprised what the brush and simple water will do.

You could use one of these... https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for rinsing if you want to invest in it. I have one on my pontoon that has lasted for years. Use it mainly to keep my dog cool and wet on warm days but it has a lot of other uses and works great. Just dip one end in the water and it pumps water right out. Charges in any USB port and battery last a while...

Dan

thinkxingu 06-24-2020 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 337369)
No cleaner needed...you will be very surprised what the brush and simple water will do.

You could use one of these... https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for rinsing if you want to invest in it. I have one on my pontoon that has lasted for years. Use it mainly to keep my dog cool and wet on warm days but it has a lot of other uses and works great. Just dip one end in the water and it pumps water right out. Charges in any USB port and battery last a while...

Dan

Hey, that's a pretty cool item—thanks for sharing! Might be useful in many ways.

Goooo team!