Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   wifi landline and freeze alarm (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28913)

tis 07-06-2023 07:41 AM

wifi landline and freeze alarm

Can anybody update on ooma, magic jack etc? I can't decide if I want to keep the landline or not. But we have a freeze alarm and wondering how that would work-if the power goes out , the alarm goes out, so not sure what to do. Any ideas from all you smart techs out there?

tummyman 07-06-2023 08:53 AM

Switch to SimpliSafe.....alll goes vis cell connection. Super systems that you can install yourself. Check them out before any decisions are made.

brk-lnt 07-06-2023 12:30 PM

Wifi landline implies a data connection.
There are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of cheap freeze alarm type devices that all work over standard internet connections.

Buy a cheap (eg: in the $100-$150 range) UPS. Plug your router into it, along with your freeze alarm and/or other sensors. *Most* of the time when the power goes out, data networks stay up for a while (they have their own UPSes). With that setup you can get alerts when the power goes out as well so you have some idea how long you didn't have power for, and the odds of things freezing.

TheProfessor 07-06-2023 01:56 PM

This one uses cell signals.
No internet needed,
Do not have to sign up for entire year.

LINK

MARCELL Brand

chachee52 07-06-2023 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tummyman (Post 385116)
Switch to SimpliSafe.....alll goes vis cell connection. Super systems that you can install yourself. Check them out before any decisions are made.

Just did a search for this one because my dad wants to replace his very old temp sensor that uses a land line to call if it drops below a certain temp. The web site sounds like you have to have the security system and then add the temp sensor to that, you can't just have the temp sensor. Am I missing something?

tummyman 07-06-2023 07:33 PM

You need the base station. But they have terrific sales all the time. At least call them and inquire. Not expensive and any additions you want are easy to self install.

jenfa 07-11-2023 01:50 PM

Marcell

We also use a Marcell device. It works off the cell phone towers and will alert you when the power goes out and comes back on as well as what the temperature/humidity reads in the house via text, call and/or email, whichever you prefer. You can set an online account to check the house temperature anytime you'd like. Just for peace of mind.

tis 07-11-2023 03:08 PM

So is it sort of like the ring doorbell, it connects to your cell phone and gives you an alert when something happens? Is a monthly plan required? If so, I assume if your phone is with Verizon you would go with Verizon?

gwhite13 07-12-2023 05:02 AM

We use the Freeze Alarm unit. It will phone you if power is off or heat falls below set range after 45mins. Downside is a landline is needed.
In researching the Marcell units, they all need a subscription and may not alert you for up to 8hrs. if power is lost.
We will stick with the Freeze Alarm for now.

tis 07-12-2023 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwhite13 (Post 385314)
We use the Freeze Alarm unit. It will phone you if power is off or heat falls below set range after 45mins. Downside is a landline is needed.
In researching the Marcell units, they all need a subscription and may not alert you for up to 8hrs. if power is lost.
We will stick with the Freeze Alarm for now.

What company has real land lines now? I mean ones that aren't wifi.

gwhite13 07-12-2023 08:12 AM

Moultonborough uses Consolidated Comm. Copper wires, we have service when the power/wifi is out.

tis 07-12-2023 11:15 AM

Is Consolidated the company that bought out the old NE Telephone. It was sold a few times. The company we are with now has the copper wires which they probably rent from Consolidated but they are going up to $100 a month and we don't use the landline enough to justify that.

gwhite13 07-12-2023 02:11 PM

They have gone thru many corp. names over the years. We have cut to minimum service with outgoing long distance capabilities. As to reach us at other homes. Machine will go thru call tree to reach someone. Approx. $40. a month. Would certainly entertain options, but it works when power and cable/internet fail.