Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Naming snow plows in New Hampshire? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28660)

fatlazyless 03-15-2023 06:48 AM

Naming snow plows in New Hampshire?

Hey there ....... over in Vermont ...... their local schools get to think up a creative name ...... www.vtrans.vermont.gov/name-a-plow ..... for the big plow truck that clears the nearby roads.

While here in New Hampshire ..... http://www.people.com/crime/new-hamp...plow-operator/ ..... we see an angry confrontation between an elected state rep and a snow plow driver.

Maybe New Hampshire should follow Vermont's plow naming design as a New Hampshire way to humanize the big plow trucks and improve snow plow acceptance and safety.

TiltonBB 03-15-2023 08:44 AM

Many years ago I drove a snowplow truck one winter for my town's DPW. A similar thing happened.

A homeowner stood in the street in front of the truck when I made my second pass by his house and demanded that I take the snow out of his driveway. He had just shoveled and was upset that the end of his driveway needed to be shoveled again. He even called the DPW Director to make a complaint about me.

A lot of people don't understand that there is no way to plow a street and not put snow into anyone's yard or driveway. The snow has to go somewhere. The large trucks are too big to go into a driveway and clean it out so even if you wanted to help a homeowner there is really no way to do it without risking damage to the pavement or lawns.

pondguy 03-15-2023 09:05 AM

I drove a plow truck for 31 years and never missed a storm, some people think they are the only one it snowed on.

Biggd 03-15-2023 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 382014)
Many years ago I drove a snowplow truck one winter for my town's DPW. A similar thing happened.

A homeowner stood in the street in front of the truck when I made my second pass by his house and demanded that I take the snow out of his driveway. He had just shoveled and was upset that the end of his driveway needed to be shoveled again. He even called the DPW Director to make a complaint about me.

A lot of people don't understand that there is no way to plow a street and not put snow into anyone's yard or driveway. The snow has to go somewhere. The large trucks are too big to go into a driveway and clean it out so even if you wanted to help a homeowner there is really no way to do it without risking damage to the pavement or lawns.

I agree but then again, you can get a fine for throwing that snow, from the street, back into the street.:confused:

Susie Cougar 03-15-2023 01:25 PM

This guy seems completely unstable. He is a state legislator? Did he move from somewhere where they didn’t have snow? I’m sure all that will happen is, he gets his hand slapped. Pathetic.

Descant 03-16-2023 10:49 AM

Names?

To the original post: "Mailbox Masher". C. 1963, town meeting voted to prohibit the town from plowing private driveways. Locally, in those days, the DPW was one guy who was paid $3000 a year. As a true Yankee entrepreneur, he, not the town owned the grader and other road maintenance equipment and he rented it to the town.

Kamper 03-16-2023 04:12 PM

Plow drift happens!

A former neighbor's S-I-L used to work for Nashua DPW. I recognized him as he passed by on one storm and gave him a waive. When he came back around the block a few minutes later, my waive had a lot fewer fingers in it!

It was all in good fun.

upthesaukee 03-17-2023 06:23 AM

25 years of snow removal

More times than I care to remember, I have been at various stages of removing snow from my driveway when the Town of Alton plow would drive by, depositing a new amount of freshly deposited snow across the end of my driveway. I simply bow and wave (all fingers:coolsm: ). It's all good.

Dave