Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fish Tales (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Early season flies (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25530)

Garcia 04-03-2020 12:29 PM

Early season flies

I'm looking forward to some trolling with flies. I've had good luck with lures over the years but am looking to build on my son's interest in fly fishing. Any suggestions on flies to try? I'm inclined to try streamers with a little color in them and welcome other suggestions.

ishoot308 04-03-2020 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia (Post 330535)
I'm looking forward to some trolling with flies. I've had good luck with lures over the years but am looking to build on my son's interest in fly fishing. Any suggestions on flies to try? I'm inclined to try streamers with a little color in them and welcome other suggestions.

I use single hook streamer flies in various patterns such as wood duck heron fly, blood and guts fly, maynards marvel, pumpkin head, etc, etc. if I could only have one fly this time of year it would be a wood duck heron fly with orange marabou added AKA “orange heron fly”.

I don’t use tandems on Winni as they don’t work nearly as well for me as single hook streamers.

Good Luck!

Dan

Barney Bear 04-03-2020 05:13 PM

Nice Response

Great to read a thread that provides a detailed answer to a question that has nothing to do with our current terrible situation.. 🐻

guamboonie 04-03-2020 06:51 PM

Early season flies

The old standbys work fine this time of year too - Mickey Finn, Gray Ghost
I prefer single hook as well

Garcia 04-03-2020 07:16 PM

Thanks all! I have a good selection but not an “orange heron fly”.

I tried tying flies many years ago but my fingers just won't cooperate. I'm hoping my son will start so he can make sure we have what we need. In the meantime, I'll see what I can find in any stores that are open. Catch anything or not, time on the water will be time well spent.

ishoot308 04-03-2020 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia (Post 330607)
Thanks all! I have a good selection but not an “orange heron fly”.

I tried tying flies many years ago but my fingers just won't cooperate. I'm hoping my son will start so he can make sure we have what we need. In the meantime, I'll see what I can find in any stores that are open. Catch anything or not, time on the water will be time well spent.

If your on the water or in the Gilford area, I’ll be more than happy to give you a couple...

AJ’s in Meredith is doing curb side pickup, they also will ship anything pretty quick.

Dan

Garcia 04-03-2020 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 330611)
If your on the water or in the Gilford area, I’ll be more than happy to give you a couple...

AJ’s in Meredith is doing curb side pickup, they also will ship anything pretty quick.

Dan

Thank you! I won't be in Gilford but will be in Metedith. Good to know about AJ's curbside pickup. I assumed they were closed.

ishoot308 04-03-2020 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia (Post 330612)
Thank you! I won't be in Gilford but will be in Metedith. Good to know about AJ's curbside pickup. I assumed they were closed.

Look on their web site, they give a special number to call...

Dan

JEEPONLY 04-04-2020 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Bear (Post 330585)
Great to read a thread that provides a detailed answer to a question that has nothing to do with our current terrible situation.. 🐻

AGREED!

I don't fish/don't even know what you're talking about when you go into it (even on other threads). But I like seeing people SO involved in their hobbies that they want to know all they can know!- And share!

Chris M 04-08-2020 02:45 PM

Can't go wrong with any of the smelt patterns. Grey Ghost, Blacknose Dace and Mickey Finn staples also.

I'm going to be down there fishing A LOT very shortly in the kayak. :)

bostique 04-12-2020 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 330616)
Look on their web site, they give a special number to call...

Dan

AJ's is a great source of info for getting the latest info for what works best for every style of fishing in the area. The staff is always well informed and more than happy to assist anyone looking to hook up!
Here is there current policy as of April 10, 2020:

Our retail store is open daily 7am-12pm

The worldwide COVID-19 pandemic is forcing everyone to rethink how we interact with each other, our work habits and how we gather so we feel the need to take precautions to help flatten the curve faster AND to keep us all safe and healthy.

The changes we are making offer many safe alternatives such as call ahead with your order and will will bring it out to your car or we can mail your order.

We ask that if you enter the store to please keep the
safe 6' distance from others

~AJ & Brandi

NOW OFFERING LIVE BAIT CURBSIDE PICKUP: If you need live bait or tackle between the hours of

12pm-5pm (NO license or registration sales)

please call Jim @ (603)266-9182 and he will head to the store to meet you (5 minutes away).

Available now: Smelt, Emeralds, Shiners & Worms

We are committed to providing exceptional service to our customers so we are taking orders for mailing or pick-up.

Please call AJ at (207)387-0075 for pick up orders or

e-mail us with your mail order request at
ajbait@metrocast.net

bbatch 04-13-2020 07:59 AM

Streamers I've had good luck with early season are yellow smelt/golden smelt and mickey finn.