Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Season officially open with Pop's opening (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17440)

Steveo 05-02-2014 08:43 AM

Season officially open with Pop's opening

Just an FYI....

Sign out in front of Pop's:

"Opening May 3rd"

I will definitely be there!

barefootbay 05-02-2014 04:47 PM

Missed you Pops ,it's been a long winter and Newick's or Peteys is a long drive for a fix.

pops 05-03-2014 06:59 AM

open for the season

Thank You.
We look forward to seeing you! I didn't think spring/summer would ever get here this year.
Pops

upthesaukee 05-03-2014 02:00 PM

Yippee...Today's the day...

1 Attachment(s)
and we were there at lunch. We had a half and half of Scallops and Whole Clams, FF, and Cole Slaw, and a small onion ring. Some would say good as always...I say Great!!! as always. Even got to speak to Pops for a few minutes afterwards. Always a pleasure there as well. Thanks Pops.

Here's a picture of the tray-full as we sat on the upper deck to eat.

8gv 05-03-2014 03:39 PM

Ok you got me with the picture. Where is Pop's?

upthesaukee 05-03-2014 03:55 PM

Alton Bay.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8gv (Post 223997)

It is on Rte 11 in Alton Bay, opposite the Alton Bay Community Center (the old Railroad Station). It is usually open from early May, like today :), to Labor Day weekend :( .

If you are coming from Laconia, as you pass the Mt. Washington dock, put on your right directional.

Or come by boat, dock at the Alton Public Docks and take a right off the docks to the far end of the parking lot. Can't miss it. Nothing better than Pop's food eaten on the boat tied up at the docks.

Mmmmmm good.

Rattlesnake Gal 05-04-2014 07:09 AM

Pop's!

Pop's Clam Shell is great!

We disagree with you Upthesaukee, on a nice night with calm winds, boat away from the docks and enjoy the meal while floating on the lake! :D

Den65 05-04-2014 07:40 AM

Great picture

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 223993)
and we were there at lunch. We had a half and half of Scallops and Whole Clams, FF, and Cole Slaw, and a small onion ring. Some would say good as always...I say Great!!! as always. Even go to speak to Pops for a few minutes afterwards. Always a pleasure there as well. Thanks Pops.

TELL ME you shared that, I can feel my arteries clogging just looking at the picture. But now I want some more than ever.............Thanks :):):)

upthesaukee 05-04-2014 08:34 AM

A definite share...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Den65 (Post 224027)
TELL ME you shared that, I can feel my arteries clogging just looking at the picture. But now I want some more than ever.............Thanks :):):)

Knowing the portion size at Pop's, two single plates was not going to happen, especially getting onion rings. Soooooooo...

My wife wanted the scallops, and I wanted whole clams. Answer, a half and half plate, with ample French fries for two, and cole slaw. Add in a small (yes, that is a small order of rings) onion ring, and more than enough for two. And they toss the food on a flat griddle to take off any excess cooking oil. Nice and dry on the outside, and totally delicious on the inside.

ghfromaltonbay 05-04-2014 09:50 AM

Baby shrimp a winner!

Had my first baby shrimp plate of the season last night at Pop's. You're right, Uppie, one plate is enough for 2 or even 3. I counted 65 shrimp, plenty of fries and enough slaw to fill a 1 lb. deli container. I will be enjoying a 2nd supper with the leftovers. I've found it reheats nicely in the toaster oven.:liplick:

Argie's Wife 05-04-2014 06:44 PM

Much yum, so summer.

Took Argie to Pop's for his b-day... he order the lobster roll, the Arglets ordered kids' dinners (chicken fingers and fish), and I ordered fish with a side of onion rings to share with the gang. Everything was delish - it was way too much food! - but the fish was so light and the rings were to die for. It was an excellent casual meal.

dpg 05-05-2014 06:25 AM

Do you take a left out of the Gilford Walmart and continue past the airport? Is Pops straight ahead if you continue on that road?

Island Girl 05-05-2014 07:00 AM

many miles ahead

Pops is in Alton Bay. Stay on 11, the road to which you refer. It is on the right.. Across the street from the information building. If you see a Chinese restaurant you went too far.

Happy Gourmand 05-05-2014 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8gv (Post 223997)

It doesn't look like he's lost his touch. Craving some now,

dpg 05-05-2014 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Island Girl (Post 224078)
Pops is in Alton Bay. Stay on 11, the road to which you refer. It is on the right.. Across the street from the information building. If you see a Chinese restaurant you went too far.

Thank you Island Girl got to try them this summer...Love Onion Rings and theirs look real good.

salty dog 05-05-2014 11:47 AM

Yum!

My wife and I split a plate; still almost too much. Good stuff!! Can't wait to have some more this season. :liplick:

dpg 05-05-2014 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salty dog (Post 224110)
My wife and I split a plate; still almost too much. Good stuff!! Can't wait to have some more this season. :liplick:

We'll be fine splitting an order we'll easily finish, I eat them like a chow hound...um...I mean the wife does... :D

Waterbaby 05-10-2014 02:10 AM

o-Rings!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 223993)
and we were there at lunch. We had a half and half of Scallops and Whole Clams, FF, and Cole Slaw, and a small onion ring. Some would say good as always...I say Great!!! as always. Even go to speak to Pops for a few minutes afterwards. Always a pleasure there as well. Thanks Pops.

Oh my gosh, those rings look to-die-for -- my fave kind, with the batter fried just right, golden and flaking off the rings......... none of that breaded nonsense for me!

ronc4424 05-10-2014 06:50 AM

Do they take credit cards?

upthesaukee 05-10-2014 09:19 AM

They do not.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

WINNOCTURN 05-10-2014 09:35 AM

Take CHECKS

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 224445)
They do not.

But they do take "CHECKS"! Not sure about out of State ones?

pops 05-11-2014 05:00 AM

We take N.H. checks. We also have an atm on site.

chipj29 07-04-2014 07:03 PM

Huge meal

My son and I were sick of sitting around the house so we decided to take the drive over to Pops for some fried goodies. He had a half and half plate-calimari and shrimp. I had the fried clam boat. We also ordered a medium order of onion rings. Those 3 things filled the tray! There was so much food, we didn't come close to eating half of it. And it was wonderful. We were there at around 3PM. There were a few other groups in the seating area, but it wasn't terribly busy.

In a nutshell, I would definitely recommend Pops.

MAXUM 07-07-2014 05:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
They are the best... even worth a boat ride all the way down from Bear Island!!!!

Happy Gourmand 07-08-2014 07:12 AM

I agree. After 2 stops at Rossi's/Kevins in New Hampton and 2 at Pop's, my vote is for Pop's.
Don't get me wrong, Kevin's is awesome too, and if you like fried clams, the AYCE Friday night clams is hard to beat. On my last trip there, I took my son and we both ordered the clams. The first plate came out with so many on it neither of us ordered a second round.
The same applies to Pop's. I could never finish a dinner there as there is plenty enough for 2 to share and not go away hungry. Even their "baskets" are more than enough to satisfy, with enough to take home for a "snack".
Pop's and Kevin's are my 2 favorite stops for fried foods, either will satisfy your craving for fried seafood.
I give the nod to Pop's mostly based on the size of the clams at the time we were there. I prefer the smaller whole belly clams to the larger whole belly clams, and on both occasions this season, Pop's didn't disappoint.
And besides, it's a really nice boat ride from Meredith.

Rusty 07-08-2014 07:57 AM

I guess the plate of Clams that MAXUM posting looks like a lot of food. However if you take everything off the plate but the Clams, it wouldn't look so huge. It looks like there might be @ eight whole belly's on the plate and the rest are remmants of the Clams.

Sometimes it's all in the presentation...I don't like my Cole Slaw on the same plate as my fries and clams because the liquid gets on them.

I always ask to have the Clams put in a separate container when I get the fries and Slaw with them.

Happy Gourmand 07-08-2014 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 228364)
I guess the plate of Clams that MAXUM posting looks like a lot of food. However if you take everything off the plate but the Clams, it wouldn't look so huge. It looks like there might be @ eight whole belly's on the plate and the rest are remmants of the Clams.

Sometimes it's all in the presentation...I don't like my Cole Slaw on the same plate as my fries and clams because the liquid gets on them.

I always ask to have the Clams put in a separate container when I get the fries and Slaw with them.

It seems pretty obvious that you have never been to Pop's.

Rusty 07-08-2014 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand (Post 228373)
It seems pretty obvious that you have never been to Pop's.

Yes I have and I wasn't that impressed. I don't usually praise or complain about food services but seeing that you asked... the fish that I had there was dry and not very tasteful. I like my fish to be moist and tender...the one I rec'd at Pop's was neither.

I understand that it is hard to get fresh seafood in the Lakes Region because it's hard to ship fresh fish from where they were caught.

I don't know where Pop's gets his seafood but it is probably processed for shipment in some way that takes away from the freshness.

I don't really know a good place in the Lakes Region where you can get good fresh Haddock/fish.

Chaselady 07-08-2014 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 228364)

Wow.....picky.

barefootbay 07-08-2014 01:26 PM

Sounds like somebody has an axe to grind.

RLW 07-08-2014 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaselady (Post 228390)
Wow.....picky.

No, just honest....:)

BroadHopper 07-08-2014 02:41 PM

Fresh seafood

If one wants fresh seafood, you will get it yourself. My Dad had a seafood business back in the 60's. He would leave at 5 AM in the morning and head to Boston to the fish market to buy the seafood he needs for the day. Often he would run out of one item during the day. I guess the 5am to 10pm everyday taken its toll, and when he switch to a commercial delivery from Boston, quality went down and so did his business. Seems like the delivery trucks are not cold enough and often time, instead of throwing away yesterday's stock, they will label them as fresh and deliver the next day.

If the cole slaw is running into the rest of the food, obviously the cole slaw was prepared earlier. I hate commercial cole slaw as they run everywhere and they are loaded with sugar. Pop's should know better!

Am I a Pop's fan? I do go to Pop's once in a blue moon. I don't usually carry cash around and as far as I know, there is no ATM in the immediate area. Pop's do have an ATM, and the two times I tried to use it was empty!

gslpro 07-08-2014 04:36 PM

Thumbs up for Pops

I have recently went twice to Pop's, one week apart, with two separate couples. My wife got the Lobster roll both times, and I got the half/half scallops and whole clams, with onion rings instead of fries. If someone isn't full after eating that plate, they have one huge appetite. I thought to myself, "Oh, plenty of onion rings, probably only a few scallops and clams." I was incorrect. The whole bottom of the plate was seafood. The entire "pile" of onion rings sat on top, and to one side. Taste? Scallops were phenomenal both times. Clams were amazing the first time, and good the second. They were sweeter the first time, but still very good. Scallops were, again, delicious. Onion rings were nicely battered, a bit bland if you will, from not loading the batter with salt. This is what my wife liked, for then I can put my own salt on them, and she doesn't have to taste it. Onions were nicely done, tender, and sweet. The Wife liked the lobster roll both times. Good size. No fillers. Just a bit of dressing, but this will be the pisser to some, for everyone seems to like their lobster roll their own way. I like the mayo on mine, but just a bit less. I actually prefer drawn butter instead of mayo, but again, my own preference. The lobster was sweet.

OK.....there's my feeling of Pop's. Oh, and the ATM was there, but I didn't try to use it. But I usually carry enough cash for emergencies. I guess the clams and scallops qualified as my emergency! Enjoy!

Crusty 07-08-2014 04:38 PM

Fresh Seafood

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 228404)
If one wants fresh seafood, you will get it yourself. My Dad had a seafood business back in the 60's. He would leave at 5 AM in the morning and head to Boston to the fish market to buy the seafood he needs for the day. Often he would run out of one item during the day. I guess the 5am to 10pm everyday taken its toll, and when he switch to a commercial delivery from Boston, quality went down and so did his business. Seems like the delivery trucks are not cold enough and often time, instead of throwing away yesterday's stock, they will label them as fresh and deliver the next day.

Years ago, I had a college roommate from Maine. He was always griping about the lack of fresh seafood in the midwest (this was 40+ years ago). Anyway, as we approached break, he constantly regaled us with tales of the fresh scrod, cooked to perfection, that he would soon be enjoying.

As luck would have it, a big storm prevented his plane from making it all the way to Maine, and he found himself stranded in Boston. Although it wasn't home, he figured that Boston had to have good seafood.

With this thought in mind he walked up to a police officer and asked "Pardon me officer, but can you tell me where I can get scrod"? The officer scratched his head and replied "A lot of out-of-towners ask me that... but this is the first time anyone's asked using the pluperfect subjunctive." :)

Chaselady 07-08-2014 04:59 PM

I don't go to Pops often but we were ther Father's Day. I had the best lobster roll ever. My husband had a seafood plate that was piled high with equal parts seafood and onion rings.
Now I think it is tough to eat at a place that doesn't take plastic and the "presentation" may not be up to some people's standards....
But it's take-out, for crying out loud! The food is great, they are always busy,
And the ambiance isn't bad, either.
Kudos to Pops...

MAXUM 07-08-2014 06:41 PM

Anyone that goes to Pops and doesn't leave either satisfied with the quality or thinks the portions aren't big enough... please go elsewhere so it one less person in line between me and my next plate.

;)

Thanks again Pop's will be back next week!

upthesaukee 07-08-2014 07:14 PM

Pop's does take NH checks as well.

barefootbay 07-08-2014 08:32 PM

At the risk of being redundant, Best Fried Seafood in the Lakes Region !

GBGX2 07-09-2014 04:47 AM

Try the Dockside!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 228388)
Yes I have and I wasn't that impressed. I don't usually praise or complain about food services but seeing that you asked... the fish that I had there was dry and not very tasteful. I like my fish to be moist and tender...the one I rec'd at Pop's was neither.

I understand that it is hard to get fresh seafood in the Lakes Region because it's hard to ship fresh fish from where they were caught.

I don't know where Pop's gets his seafood but it is probably processed for shipment in some way that takes away from the freshness.

I don't really know a good place in the Lakes Region where you can get good fresh Haddock/fish.

Go to the Dockside in Alton Bay...the very best Fried Haddock Sandwich!